Monitor Audio Apex - Demo

michael hoy

Going to demo the 5.1 Apex system on Thursday, any one listened to these already, if so what did you think.

I do not have the room to have larger speakers at the moment, trying to decide whether to put a smaller fireplace in and then mount the TV on the wall. I could then go for some larger speakers.

Hi michael hoy

The new Apex Series is a class act. I have even used the Apex speakers with Chord Electronics DSP800/SPM3005 and they have coped admirably.
emotion-1.gif

Yamaha's DSP-Z7 is a superb match with the Apex speakers. This is a combination which can be listened to time after time without fatigue.
emotion-2.gif

Btw, i hope you enjoy the demo.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

michael hoy

MUSICRAFT:
Hi michael hoy

The new Apex Series is a class act. I have even used the Apex speakers with Chord Electronics DSP800/SPM3005 and they have coped admirably.
emotion-1.gif

Yamaha's DSP-Z7 is a superb match with the Apex speakers. This is a combination which can be listened to time after time without fatigue.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, thanks for the reply, as good as the Z7 is, I would be looking to purchase any new equipment with the 1.4 hdmi capability not for 3D at the moment but maybe of more use in the future, also the Z7 is too big for my cabinet I was thinking on the lines of a Denon 3311.

If I do manage to replace the fireplace with a smaller one then the Z7 could be a possibility.

michael hoy:MUSICRAFT:
Hi michael hoy

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, thanks for the reply, as good as the Z7 is, I would be looking to purchase any new equipment with the 1.4 hdmi capability not for 3D at the moment but maybe of more use in the future, also the Z7 is too big for my cabinet I was thinking on the lines of a Denon 3311.

If I do manage to replace the fireplace with a smaller one then the Z7 could be a possibility.

Hi michael hoy

Fair enough. I would be interested to hear your views on the Apex speakers.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I would also be interested. I am looking to match a 7.1 Apex setup with the new Denon 3311 (which I have been informed will be available from July 28th)

I am also looking at the Samsung 55C8000 TV with (probaly) a Samsung 3D DVD player (and suggestions?).

A

Anonymous

Wow - this is almost half the price of the Denon with a similar feature set - anyone know how it compares to the Denon 3311?

The Denon 3311 has not been released yet, so it's not possible for anyone to compare it with the Yamaha 767.

But remember that the Yamaha RX-V767 is more in the league of Denon 1911. Yamaha has not announced a replacement for the RX-V2065 yet, but the presumed RX-V2067 which may be announced later this year will be a direct competitor for the Denon 3311.

michael hoy

bigboss:The Denon 3311 should match well with Monitor Audio Apex speakers. Another receiver to look out for, is the Yamaha RX-V767 which has a new video processor claiming to be superior in video upscaling.

Thanks BigBoss,

I have a 1909 at the moment and thought an upgrade would be more in keeping with the Apex speakers, I have had two Yamaha amps previously and got on with them well and only change for the addition of hdmi inputs.

You're right, michael hoy. The Denon 3311 should offer better performance than the Yamaha RX-V767. Usually, Yamaha receivers are renowned for matching very well with Monitor Audio speakers. But given your requirements, Yamaha doesn't offer a receiver for your budget. I suspect higher models will be announced soon.

A

Anonymous

Michael Hoy, how do the Apex sound, I have the RX1 with RXC and love the sound and looks, but I am coming under increasing pressure from the other half that they are too large and take over the room.

I was thinking of changing the fronts to the Apex range or down to The 250HD Radius, I will be changing the amp in the future to the new pioneer 1020 or 2020.

Your thoughts on these speakers would be of interest, especially if you managed to demo against the RX series, I of course will demo these myself, but an opinion from someone may give me the push i need to drive into the city centre and see my dealer.

A

Anonymous

Yeh sorry one of these days I learn to read every thing.

have a good demo

michael hoy

Just found out the dealer does'nt have a Denon amp to demo these speakers and wants to pair them with an Onkyo 608, I have never heard an Onkyo before, is there much difference in sound between Denon and Onkyo.

michael hoy

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The Onkyo is about brute power, the Denon is more refined and smoother.

Thanks David,

If I like / dislike the sound with this pairing, do you think I would like / dislike pairing them with the Denon.

I know only I can make that decision, but from your experience can you give an estimated guess.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would audition with the amplifier that you're looking to use. Having not read the first part of the thread, I agree with Clare in that a better amp should be used ideally. But a 1909 could be used as a stop gap if you were looking at a better amp at a later date. We ran our Apex's in on the Pioneer SCLX82, on which they sounded amazingly detailed and fast. They'll be more subdued on a £400/500 AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

The new Onkyos are far less brutish than previous models - you can read our review of the Onkyo TX-SR608 here.

My reservation would be that it's too budget a receiver to get the best from the Apex package. I'd definitely demo it with a higher-end receiver.

What do you mean by (TOO BUDGET), I thought what hi-fi said it was well specced for the price, and been reading other reviews to say they are amazed at the level of features and power from such a cheap amp.

Not questioning your reviews, just wondering, is it not possible to have a 500.00 amp perform like a 1000.00 amp. The only reason I ask as I was debating bewteen this amp and the pioneer VSX LX-52 and from the spec sheet, the onkyo is looking better specced.

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Onkyo is excellent, and capable of driving speaker packages incredibly well.

But this is about optimum system-matching: you're not going to get the most from an excellent £2425 speaker package with an amp of that level - even if it performs as well as last-year's @£1000 models.

As previous posts have said, this is a package that flies with the sort of receivers that sold for £1500-£2000 territory last year (and can be had for less these days, thanks to discounting ahead of 3D-ready replacements).

michael hoy

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I would audition with the amplifier that you're looking to use. Having not read the first part of the thread, I agree with Clare in that a better amp should be used ideally. But a 1909 could be used as a stop gap if you were looking at a better amp at a later date. We ran our Apex's in on the Pioneer SCLX82, on which they sounded amazingly detailed and fast. They'll be more subdued on a £400/500 AV receiver.

Arranged to have the demo with the Onkyo and an Arcam AVR600, hopefully this will show me both ends of the scale, my aim would be to purchase something on the lines of a Denon 3311.

michael hoy

michael hoy:
Going to demo the 5.1 Apex system on Thursday, any one listened to these already, if so what did you think.

I do not have the room to have larger speakers at the moment, trying to decide whether to put a smaller fireplace in and then mount the TV on the wall. I could then go for some larger speakers.

Right, had the demo courtesy of Roy Jowett in Colne Lancashire.

Firstly asthetics, the speakers look and feel solidly built, the black gloss finish looks gorgeous, thumbs up from the OH on this stage.

Sound - first demo was with the Onkyo 608 and the car chase from Quatum of Solace, the fast pace of this scene was portrayed by the speakers without fault and the small amount of dialogue was clear and crisp.

Then came the sub, fast tight bass and subtle when needed, but goes with a bang for those floor shaking moments.

Ran some music on bluray through them as well, vocals were very clear and not a hint of high pitched screaching from the trumpet in one of the jazz tracks, OH liked the sound from this setup better than our current setup so tick number 2.

Second demo was with the Arcam 500, this was in another league compared to the Onkyo (should be for £2000 pounds more), the sound really opened up and the dialogue was even clearer and again when needed the sub certainly woke you up, not in your face, subtle when needed.

Problem - the OH really liked this combo, but the amp is more than I would like to pay, I was thinking on the lines of the Denon 3311 and I think a second demo is called for when someone has this Apex / Denon combo available.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Was cheking out prices on this system last night and it occurred to me that you could buy the centre and satellite speakers without the accompanying sub, then add a B&W PV1, for less than the cost of the full Apex 5.1 system.

As the only minor criticism of the Apex 5.1 package in the WHF review was that the timing of the sub wasn't perfect for music, the MA satellite + B&W sub option might be a really good proposition.

TRENDING THREADS