Mogami interconnects.

russell salter

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I use Atlas Hyper mk2 throughout my system, and Im more than happy. Came across some Mogami quad-core/Neutrick rca on Amazon. Made in Japan and £39 for a 1m pair. Purely out of curiosity, I had to order them. If its good enough for the recording industry. . . Does anyone have any of these cables ? How do you rate them ?

Gray

I've made some leads using Van Damme Starquad cable - designed for improved noise rejection when used as mic cables.

A bit over the top for line level use maybe, but doesn't hurt when carrying the signals from my cartridge to phono preamp ( I removed the basic lead supplied with the tonearm).

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Donno about the Japanese cable but I had atlas hyper 2.0 and I found it bland, lacking dynamics and detail and flat, comparative to other cables. The dealer sold it to me without me listening to it, simply because he was pushing it I think.

russell salter

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Its the 2534 that Ive bought. Due Monday. Will burn them in for 3 days continuous, and evaluate. Just wanted to compare them with my Atlas. If Im not too happy, I will use them for Bluetooth adapter !

russell salter said:
Thanks. Its Atlas Hyper mk2 interconnects that I have. Using Van damme studio blue twin axial (4 separate runs to each speaker) brings the Awg down to about 10 from 14 apparently. Great VFM.

They have been about for ages but I don't know anyone who uses these interconnects, perhaps you might be interested in this thread:-

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mogami-interconnects

russell salter

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Its Atlas Hyper mk2 interconnects that I have. Using Van damme studio blue twin axial (4 separate runs to each speaker) brings the Awg down to about 10 from 14 apparently, without loss of HF info and overblown bass associated with a single run of 10awg to each of 4 speaker inputs. Great VFM. Got 4 x 6m runs and cut them in two. Cost £60, half the price of the XT40 I was using, with a much tighter bass from the KEFs.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Donno about the Japanese cable but I had atlas hyper 2.0 and I found it bland, lacking dynamics and detail and flat, comparative to other cables. The dealer sold it to me without me listening to it, simply because he was pushing it I think.

Right! I used in the past the same interconnect as I wanted to match my speaker cable. As much as the speaker cable Hyper 2.0 decent is so Hyper interconnect is not at all. I also found it lacking in many areas and dynamically restrained. I hope new Atlas models are better...

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
russell salter said:
Will burn them in for 3 days continuous, and evaluate.

Really?

Can I suggest rather than 'burn them in' (whatever that is supposed to do), you evaluate the websites / magazines you are reading instead.

I am afraid you are being badly informed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
russell salter said:

Really?

Can I suggest rather than 'burn them in' (whatever that is supposed to do), you evaluate the websites / magazines you are reading instead.

The OP is clearly reading and taking onboard the content from some of the many 'audiophile' and 'subjectivist' sources and will be influenced, perhaps even convinced by their assertions.

There is a world out there in which these opinions and 'findings' are endlessly discussed and the contributers are heavily invested in what they are doing. Best to let them get on with it.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
a cable thread that was just running along nicely, now ruined as usual by one of the same idiot "anti cable" people who just can't keep out and have to post replies implying that the OP cannot make up their own minds and must be wrong.

Its strange that we don't get this in anything to do with actual hifi components (amps,cd players,speakers etc), only threads regarding cables.

*unknw*

abacus

davedotco said:
andyjm said:
russell salter said:

Really?

The OP is clearly reading and taking onboard the content from some of the many 'audiophile' and 'subjectivist' sources and will be influenced, perhaps even convinced by their assertions.

There is a world out there in which these opinions and 'findings' are endlessly discussed and the contributers are heavily invested in what they are doing. Best to let them get on with it.

There are always new users coming into the fold, and they may believe what is said in these types of forums, (Even though the users (And manufactures) who make these claims have NEVER been able to provide verifiable evidence) so if they are provided with the facts (Not opinions masquerading as facts) in combination with visiting other more informed forums, they can make their own decision safely in the knowledge that they have covered all avenues.

Bill

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
macdiddy said:
a cable thread that was just running along nicely, now ruined as usual by one of the same idiot "anti cable" people who just can't keep out and have to post replies implying that the OP cannot make up their own minds and must be wrong.

Its strange that we don't get this in anything to do with actual hifi components (amps,cd players,speakers etc), only threads regarding cables.

As Edmund Burke said "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

A glance at my posting record will show that wherever possible I try to educate and explain so that enthusiasts can understand what it going on, rather than believe quasi-scientific claptrap which appears on sites like this. I do have a professional background in this field, and while I may also be an idiot, I can categorically say that burn-in (whatever that means in respect of cables) is complete nonsense.

I think it is important to call out claims which are just plain wrong, or this stuff gets perpetuated.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

At the end of the day the original poster asked if anyone rated them or not, for I’m sure there will be opinions both ways, and that’s the type of replies he wanted, not for the thread to be hi jacked again into a cable debate. That seems the best policy.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:
I've made some leads using Van Damme Starquad cable - designed for improved noise rejection when used as mic cables.

A bit over the top for line level use maybe, but doesn't hurt when carrying the signals from my cartridge to phono preamp ( I removed the basic lead supplied with the tonearm).

+1 for Van Damme Starquad, which I use throughout my system with Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cables.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Gray said:

+1 for Van Damme Starquad, which I use throughout my system with Van Damme UP-LCOFC speaker cables.

For simple phono cables, Van Damme classic is absolutely fine, I use a 3m pair with my Adams.

If you want to pay the modest extra cost, use Starquad by all means, with all those extra cores to play with, you can have some real fun.

For example, in a phono lead, you can use two cores for send and return and simply tie down the screen to signal earth, you can try it connected at one end, or both. Though the real enthusiast will not connect the screen to signal ground at either end, but to a 'tail' with a spade connector so that it can be connected to chassis ground at whichever end is preferred.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
So, at the risk of bringing more facts to table rather than discussing how I 'feel' about it, starquad cable only makes sense in a balanced configuration.

For unbalanced interconnects starquad will either be the same, or possibly worse than a simple coaxial screened cable.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
At the end of the day the original poster asked if anyone rated them or not, for I’m sure there will be opinions both ways, and that’s the type of replies he wanted, not for the thread to be hi jacked again into a cable debate. That seems the best policy.

It was the OP who suggested that he burn-in the cable prior to use. While everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts. The term 'burn-in' applies to the heat soak testing of electronic equipment used to weed out devices that would fail early in their life. 'Burning-in' a cable is meaningless.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
So, at the risk of bringing more facts to table rather than discussing how I 'feel' about it, starquad cable only makes sense in a balanced configuration.

For unbalanced interconnects starquad will either be the same, or possibly worse than a simple coaxial screened cable.

This is 2017, how you feel about this is far more important that the facts.

Remember, everyone has the right to an opinion and even those from the most willfully uniformed is just as valid as those from an acknowledged expert.

Welcome to marxist britain.

davedotco said:
andyjm said:

This is 2017, how you feel about this is far more important that the facts.

Remember, everyone has the right to an opinion and even those from the most willfully uniformed is just as valid as those from an acknowledged expert.

Welcome to marxist britain.

I hope you meant uninformed...

The Marxist Pedantic Police.. ;-

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
russell salter said:
Thankyou. Yes, opinions from other owners of Mogami ICs was all I required, not self-righteous rants.

I'm afraid then, like many, you came to the wrong forum.... ;-)

First rule of Cable Threads - It's not about what you Want, but it's about what you Need. Second rule of Cable Threads...*unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts