Mods - please do something about these spammers!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We're on it. We tried reducing the spam filter to its 'normal' setting so fewer people got the 'captcha' verification box when posting, but unfortunately this happened so we'll have to turn it back up to max again. Can't win!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Many amateur (enthusiast-run) forums need to have all their posts approved by the mods. Is that not possible to implement here as a last line of defence in addition to the captcha and spam filter settings?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Given the volume of traffc we get we simply don't have the resources for full manual moderation I'm afraid, and that would lead to even longer delays between users posting and their comments appearing online.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't you just remove the need for 'captcha' if a user has more than say 50 posts and keep the higher security? Should allow most legit users through.

A

Anderson

I believe part of the problem here is that this isn't a small board owned and managed by a dedicated owner. It's managed by IT Services over in corporate headquarters and it's not as easy as 'flick a switch' and it's done. We've all worked with IT you know what they're like lol

Probably need to provide a formal change request that needs to get sent to a manger who doesn't care and even if it does get signed off you need the security team to audit the change. Audit teams always take FOREVER!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure the advertisers are thrilled! Since they seem to be the main focus of WHFSV's efforts to 'improve' this website, I really think there's no hope for any of us.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Given the volume of traffc we get we simply don't have the resources for full manual moderation I'm afraid, and that would lead to even longer delays between users posting and their comments appearing online.
lol I didn't mean every post forever, that would be impractical as well as damn annoying for all parties. Usually just the first eg five posts. Do you guys not actually use other formus in your 'real lives' outside work and get an understanding of how they usually operate?

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I've given up trying to post about a Lehmann Black Cube I bought in the Hifi Section, keeps on telling me I'm a spammer. I like the good black forest schinken, and am a fan of salami, but I've never knowingly touched or passed on any spam in my life !! ;-)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
The REPORT option is not available for first posts - but would a report (from a few forumites) allow for automatically removing the spam? No idea how they get past the verification - is it possible to only give access to new posters after 'human' permission? Annoying but pointless.

TRENDING THREADS