Modifying System

safety1st

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, advice needed please! I currently have an early 1990's Wharfedale S-990 system (integrated amp, cd player, tuner, and cassette tape player). I'm only have the amp and the cd player connected however, with the phono input on the amp connceted to a Dual 550-2 turntable. I have a pair of Kef Coda-3 50w speakers. I would welcome any comments and advice on improving the system, including your views on whether or not I should add a phono pre-amp to improve the sound, and if I do, could it be connected to the tape or tuner inputs on the amp???

Many thanks,

Chris

From what you describe a phono preamp could be connected to either of the line inputs you mention but whether the cost would justify the outlay is debateable. Your best bet is to first improve the source itself, i.e. the cartridge.

Not sure what you currently have fitted but, in my opinion, any change you make here is more beneficial in the 'bangs for bucks' department.

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way.

safety1st said:
Hi Tom, and thanks for your reply. The turntable is fitted with an Ortofon DN 165E cartridge.

My point exactly..... and my name is not Tom
regular_smile.gif

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You will probably get more replies if you give your budget, room size, what you listen to and what has prompted your interest in changing/upgrading.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
safety1st said:
Hi Tom, and thanks for your reply. The turntable is fitted with an Ortofon DN 165E cartridge.

And all this time I thought you were the famous Tom Evans because of your signature.

Thats equipment used vladimir not my name *biggrin*

Although I do know him quite well as his workshop is 'just down the road' from me.

A bit like your name is not Pharoah Sanders
regular_smile.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
safety1st said:

And all this time I thought you were the famous Tom Evans because of your signature.

Although I do know him quite well as his workshop is 'just down the road' from me.

Because of your neighbour as a studen't I bought a Pioneer A400 in mint condition, tuned it myself into a GTE. That bloody thing still works. Wish I could hear any of his speaker designs. Someday hopefully.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
safety1st said:

Because of your neighbour as a studen't I bought a Pioneer A400 in mint condition, tuned it myself into a GTE. That bloody thing still works. Wish I could hear any of his speaker designs. Someday hopefully.

Nice bit of kit that. My first encounter with him was to modify an A300R Precision to stereo power amp.... stonking.

Got to hear one of his speaker designs then, unfortunately these days he seems to be concentrating his efforts into amplifiers notably phono preamps. His latest is the doggies dangly bits but out of my league pricewise unfortunately.

Hi Chris, and welcome. I agree with Al, and a phono preamp is the last thing I would worry about. Now your kit is so old, any of it could be about to expire or sub optimum in performance. The Dual can take a better cartridge if you have the headshell with the 1/2inch screw fittings.

What is your preferred source? If the Codas are the ones with the silver painted baffle they still sound quite decent if mounted on good stands, though the box is pretty plain and ugly by today's standards.

i might be tempted to replace the electronics with an all in one, like a Marantz or Denon, but they would require a phono preamp if you still play LPs. Depends a lot on your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts