Mixing hifi speakers with a surround package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is just a speculative query to see if anyone could advise what to with regards to mixing quality hi fi speakers with a surround package.

As is the holy grail of home cinema (it seems), I wish to be able to listen to decent 2 channel music from an AV amp and speaker package without cluttering a smallish living room (14 foot by 12 foot) with gear (my wife will go ape). In this regard I've been recommended (and will be testing) the Marantz SR6003 for both home cinema and hifi sound (apparently more musical than equivalent Yamaha/ Onkyo/ Denon), and have ordered a Pioneer BDP-LX51 for blu-ray, dvd and cd playback. This leaves the speakers.

I was thinking of getting the B&W685's for hifi/ side speakers and then either going for a compact/ style type package such as the Q-acoustics 1010i for the centre, rears and sub. I know this sounds like a nonsense idea, but I don't have a big enough AV rack for the B&W centre (the rears are a little big too) and fear that my juniors will destroy the sub and centre anyhow. In this regard I don't want to waste space or risk spending £1200 on the B&W kit which will be inevitably be destroyed by little mucky fingers ...

I know this sounds ludicrous to mix and match, but I'm sure a lot of people do it, despite the audiophile consequences.

Alternatively - how good is the KEF3005 system with music? Is this a better option (even though the sub looks perfect for junior shoes to kick through).

Any ideas , I would be delighted to hear them.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're going for the Q Acoustics speakers for the centre and rears, why not go the whole hog and get the Q Acoustics 1050i 5.1 AV system, which would suit needs and budget rather well?

A

Anonymous

Good question Andrew, and perhaps the reason is my assumption (based on reviews and price) that the Q acoustics would not be up to the job in terms of hifi sound. I've read the WHS&V review and they seem reasonable, but I guess there's the niggling doubt that the sound could be bettered in two channel mode by the use of better quality hifi speakers.

Price is not too much of a problem and I'm prepared to pay for a good homogenous system (hence I was thinking of the B&W system and enquired about the KEF 3005) , but as I mentioned, my kids will destroy anything that's at low level and easily accessible. At least, due to being standmount, the hifi front satellites could be of very good quality and out of reach! A cheaper centre, sub and rears could be sacrified when the inevitable happens (in this case).

I assume mix and match is not a good option then?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't mix and match, and I think the QAcou system would work well with the system you have in mind.

The centre is still going to be the main stumbling block if you do mix and match.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice Andrew. Just for curiosity, does the Tannoy F1 system offer a step up in terms of performance? Is this a better option again? Again, individually the components are cheap enough to replace in the event of damage and I note WHS&V rates the same in terms of hifi sound?

A

Anonymous

The 3005SEs are pretty good with music, but I haven't compared them with anything else. The sub would definately be a foot magnet though. Have you considered a Pioneer amp as they have the PQLS thingy for CD playback.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I use KEF Eggs as rears just to please my other half really as they are quite discreet. I'm sure I could get better rears but I've been reasonably happy with them. I think the important thing is have your fronts and centre speaker from the same stable so when listening in surround mode what's coming at you from the front is tonally the same. I don't think it's quite as important an issue with the effects rear speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DubLinn: I was thinking of getting the B&W685's for hifi/ side speakers and then either going for a compact/ style type package such as the Q-acoustics 1010i for the centre, rears and sub. I know this sounds like a nonsense idea, but I don't have a big enough AV rack for the B&W centre (the rears are a little big too) and fear that my juniors will destroy the sub and centre anyhow. In this regard I don't want to waste space or risk spending £1200 on the B&W kit which will be inevitably be destroyed by little mucky fingers ...Obviously you need to match at least your front 3 speakers, so why not look at quality alternatives rather than limiting yourself to one manufacturer? Surely there must be a manufacturer who makes a centre to fit your rack? And if they don't, they may have an alternative from another series in their range. As an example, some people have bought Monitor Audio Silver series front speakers and used Radius centres or rears if there has been a lack of space and got on fine.

A

Anonymous

A really good idea would be to wall mount your satelite speakers which will keep them away from the kids and the Kef 3005.1 kit would be fab for this and sound pretty damned good, or there's always the B&W MT30. Place the Sub inside a cabinate with either a grill or an acoustic cloth front and you're away.

In AV use, the centre channel gets the most use of all, so don't do light on this one, the rears are the least important. If you went the satelit route, you could mount the centre above the screen solving your placement problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to you all for taking the time to answer my query. Much appreciated and lots of food for thought!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

If you want quality musicality I would avoid the 3005SE. I demod it and did not find it good for music, especially in the lower frequencies. A change of subwoofer helped but did not remedy the problem.

I found the Tannoy Arena (not Lite) to be very good for both films and music, and this can be had for about the same price as the KEFs now, with wall stands. It was originally similar in price to the MT-30, which I thought it was better than, (more detailed and better in the high frequencies).

Hope this helps. I would try to match the front 3 if you can.

Messiah

FrankHarveyHiFi:DubLinn: I was thinking of getting the B&W685's for hifi/ side speakers and then either going for a compact/ style type package such as the Q-acoustics 1010i for the centre, rears and sub. I know this sounds like a nonsense idea, but I don't have a big enough AV rack for the B&W centre (the rears are a little big too) and fear that my juniors will destroy the sub and centre anyhow. In this regard I don't want to waste space or risk spending £1200 on the B&W kit which will be inevitably be destroyed by little mucky fingers ...Obviously you need to match at least your front 3 speakers, so why not look at quality alternatives rather than limiting yourself to one manufacturer? Surely there must be a manufacturer who makes a centre to fit your rack? And if they don't, they may have an alternative from another series in their range. As an example, some people have bought Monitor Audio Silver series front speakers and used Radius centres or rears if there has been a lack of space and got on fine.

I would agree with FHHF in that the Silver series and the Radius integrate really well so this is definitely worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts