Mixing 5.1 surround components

T.T.

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm relatively new to the hifi world so excuse my question:

Would a 5.1 system with the B&W 684 S2 as fronts, Dali Zensor 3 for rears and Vokal for center along with an SVS SB-1000 subwoofer be pleasant to hear or completely unbalanced so that it's worthless?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've always gone for same manufacturer and models but I believe its recommended that the fronts and centre are from the same range, otherwise it sounds unbalanced. I'mnot 100% certain though

T.T.

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I could probably go for the B&W HTM62 S2 instead, but the most important issue here is mixing the fronts with the rears(considering the price differnce(B&W 685 S2 are far different, meaning more expensive and generally considered superb in every way, from the Zensor 3s))

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
T.T. said:
 I could probably go for the B&W HTM62 S2 instead, but the most important issue here is mixing the fronts with the rears

No, it isn't, that's what rocketrazor is trying to tell you, it's MUCH more important the fronts and centre match than whether the fronts and rear match. If you believe the received wisdom that is...

T.T.

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
The most important issue is mixing the fronts with the rears because I already own the Zensor 3s so if they don't match with the B&W fronts/center, I will have to buy B&W rears, too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I have Zensor 3s at the front, a Vokal in the centre, and Mordaunt Short speakers as rears. Sounds good, it's not a problem.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Probably more important to match the timbre and timing of the front left, front right and centre, than to match to the other surrounds, but I would try to ensure that the rears are the same impedance (ohms) and sensitivity (dB) at least. Not vital that they're the same brand or model at the front, but it's a better guarantee of matching timbre and timing, that's all. Most receivers come with their own sound equalization programs and microphone or you can adjust yourself manually. Personally I always seem to end up cranking everything but the front left and front right up 3 dB or more (i) because I like more centre to focus voices on the screen and (ii) because I like to hear the surround sound actually working, not just there asa background presence if you knopw what I mean.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Matching centre and front left and right is what I would advise as above by a few.. The surrounds don't have to match because they are just surround sound and not the major part of the system, although are important they are a decent quality and at least matching at the rear..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts