Big dilemma on 5.1 speakers configuration

dtancu

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Cheers all,

New here, first post and obviously, asking for advice :)

I have a Onkyo 929 AV receiver for which I need to build a 5.1 speaker system.

Room is about 5x6 m and i absolutely need bookshelf speakers, not floorstands (because of very limited space).

I narrowed my search to basically 3 options:

- Q acoustics 2000i 5.1 system

- Monitor Audio BX2 AV system

- Dali Zensor 1 5.1 system

In the end I tend to choose the Dalis, after auditioning them. They are 6 ohm speakers hence easier to drive with my receiver, and I liked a lot what I tested with an Zensor 5 system (5.1) and Zensor 1.

My dilemma: the Zensor 1 standard package includes: 4 x Zensor 1, 1 x Zensor Vokal and 1 x E-9F subwoofer. This package seems a bit lacking on fronts for my taste. Let me explain: the center seems way too strong and the 2 x Zensor 1 fronts not able to drive the stereo effect enough on 5.1 material. Also, on stereo HiFi music listening, the Zensor 1 cannot really stand on their own without the sub, which is not really what I would like to do when listening music.

I tested the Zensor 5 package, which has 2 x Zensor 5 fronts, 2 x Zensor 1 rear, Vokal center and e-12f sub. This one sounds terrific but I cannot place floorstanders in my room, so the Zensor 5 are out.

Which brings me to my question: if I try a hybrid setup with:

- 2 x Zensor 3 fronts

- 2 x Zensor 1 rear

-1 x Vokal center

-1 e-12f subwoofer,

would I be closer to the zensor 5 performance? I have no possibility of listening Zensor 3 in my city and it would be a blind choice I'm afraid.

Do you think a pair of Zensor 3s would do well on their own on HiFi without the subwoofer?

Thanks a lot for the help, really useful forums :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the MA BX2 5.1 system (although the sub is BK) and when watching movies it's the sub that realy adds to the experience. Using the BX2's for just music is fine (although I tend to use my separate hifi system for 2 channel music).

But, the Zensor 3's seem to be very popular on this forum (see thread on the hifi section) for 2 channel hifi. Considering that the Zensor 3' are a liitle more expensive than the BX2's and very well regarded at the moment - I would imagine that they should be fine for music, and with the sub, fine for movies also. If you cannot have floorstanders, then you don't have a choice really.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Fascinating question and being an owner of both Z1 and Z3, it was one I had idly pondered. If it weren't for the fact that I hate films, I might be able to give a more useful answer. However...

Whareas the Z1 is a bit light on bass for some, the Z3 certainly ain't. It should offer cracking results and if there is a sub to handle LFE, I think you would be home and dry. The scale of sound from Z3 is much greater than Z1.

Hope that helps!

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
And as a PS, my own sub hardly has to do a thing on music with the Z3. Everything is really screwed down compared to Z1 but that wonderful clarity is still there with Z3, so don't worry about losing the character or nature of the sound.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts