Mix and Match Pre- and Power-Amplifiers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As mentioned in another post, I'm selling my Cyrus AV5 surround processor and two of the power amps and going back to stereo. I'm therefore looking for a stereo pre-amplifier to go with my two remaining Cyrus SmartPowers.

Looking for reviews on-line, it seems quite unusual for pre-amplifiers (or power amplifiers, to a lesser extent) to be reviewed on their own. Do people mix and match pre- and power-amps, or do they generally just buy a matching pair from the same manufacturer?

The Cyrus pre-amp does get good reviews, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I do mix and match my quite a few times. It's hard to get it right but when carefully done, the sound can be well worth the effort. Only one Cyrus Pre I have heard is DAC Xp which was awesome.....highly recommended.

A

Anonymous

Well, ultimately you can do what you want but kit from the same manufacturer will be gain matched and all that Jazz which will be more of a convenience thing I'd imagine because then you don't need to think about it, but you will if you mix and match - it's unlikely to be some kind of dealbreaking caveat of your choice though.

I'd take your Pamps and go and audition some of the Cyrus solutions, if your gonna be using a dealers setup though, you might wanna bring your old AV processor as a reference pre-amp to gauge your quality increase more accurately. I couldn't reccomend a pre-amp to you without knowing your price range but I'll always squeeze a 'check out audiolab' in there;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far.

I suppose I'd like to spend less than £1,000, although - as I'm also looking for a new CD-player - could spend more on a digital pre-amp such as the DAC-XP as presumably I could spend less on the CD-player, and get the benefit when listening to DAB or DVDs.

Has anyone got any experience of using a digital pre-amp, and would it work OK with, say, a moderately-priced DVD player as a transport? It seems a bit silly to buy a decent CD-player to use with a DAC.

A

Anonymous

"It seems a bit silly to buy a decent CD-player to use with a DAC."

You could just buy a decent CD transport and not worry about wasting a DAC stage...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Why not look out for 2nd hand musical fidelity Pre-24. The preamp with CD player and has digital in put too. I think price is around £800 (rrp £2000)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts