Mission accomplished

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

thats what they did to mine re-routed the earth on the pcb

Got my amp back from Leema yesterday. All is dandy - literally!

It sounds better than before it went back. The overall sonic performance is crisper and snappier than before. Surely my ears aren't that dodgy? I was wondering whether the earthing problem I had was extracting some of its performance?

Anyway, got to be in Portsmouth by 11.00am today so must dash...

Aye Aye Captains...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Weekend listening ahoy!
emotion-21.gif

Just spoke to Leema about the improved sound quality. What they did, aside from reworking the earthing system, was to rejig the circuit board and cleaned the gizzard. He said it is practically the same internals as the new MKIII version, hence why I'm hearing better SQ.

So I have a souped-up Leema Pulse....(What did I do with the fluffy dice?).

That is fantastic customer service.

Thank you Leema Acoustics.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Thank you Leema Acoustics.

Certainly sounds like it. Very impressive.

Isnt it a great feeling when something gets fixed and your annoyances/worries about it go away.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
brendonw:Is now jealous
emotion-8.gif

Grrrrr!!!! Me too!

Having listened to the Mk3 version and loved the sound - definitely a much refined and improved upgrade from the Mk2 - but found the innovative new looks a bit off-putting, I must admit to feeling a teensey bit jealous myself. So, you got yourself a £1500 sound for just over 50% the cost? Ha!
emotion-12.gif

...oh, that's what I did with the Primares, isn't it?
emotion-10.gif

Well done PP and well done the Madagascans!
emotion-21.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Ezzzeee
emotion-4.gif
- yes it is a slight improvement on the MKII and not quite the MKIII. It's a sort of half way house. My pleasure is obviously all the work undertaken and it hasn't cost me a bean...

Leema need to be applauded for that alone...
emotion-21.gif

Too bloomin' right!

Having spent an all too brief period of time with Music Matters in Edgbaston, Brum, and listened to both the Mk2 and Mk3, I have to say that the Mk3 is a major step up. It does everything the Mk2 does but with greater refinement and control. I thoroughly enjoyed the delivery of the Mk3 but couldn't audition it at home. Which was a shame. It was destined, I am told, for review by WHF and I still await the considered verdict of the team I hold in high estimation.

So, in my own humble opinion, based on what you are saying and what I heard over one lunch hour, I can only say you have a brilliant bargain. You have a piece of kit that will perform way above the level you have paid for. Jealous? Yes! Way to go Pingu!!!!
emotion-2.gif

Given I've paid about half the MKIII RRP it is a really good scenario - even on 30 year old Whafedales it just projects the sound with more realism. Can't wait to buy some top-notch speakers.

No need to be envious, after all, it is just a lump of metal and wires (I'm not patronising, just stating a fact).
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Given I've paid about half the MKIII RRP it is a really good scenario - even on 30 year old Whafedales it just projects the sound with more realism. Can't wait to buy some top-notch speakers.

No need to be envious, after all, it is just a lump of metal and wires (I'm not patronising, just stating a fact).
emotion-1.gif

Yeah, yeah!
emotion-1.gif

Envious, yes. But grudging? No way! Good for you. However, we look forward to the speaker saga.
emotion-4.gif

ESP2009:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

Yeah, yeah!
emotion-1.gif

Envious, yes. But grudging? No way! Good for you. However, we look forward to the speaker saga.
emotion-4.gif

My point was (and always been) that hi-fis are a luxury not a necessity. Yep, all lovely and I'm as pleased as
64v.JPG
but it isn't the be all...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:ESP2009:plastic penguin:

emotion-1.gif

Yeah, yeah!
emotion-1.gif

emotion-4.gif

My point was (and always been) that hi-fis are a luxury not a necessity. Yep, all lovely and I'm as pleased as
64v.JPG
but it isn't the be all...

Like I'm believin' what you say!
emotion-2.gif

But seriously...that is entirely true. We are talking a very expensive hobby with very subjective benefits attached to extra expenditure.

Do NOT give in to temptation!!!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just bought an edition of hifichoice which reconfirmed what I found some time ago, what a great speaker for very reasonable money. Featured in dealer systems (as is PMC's GB1)

drummerman:

I just bought an edition of hifichoice which reconfirmed what I found some time ago, what a great speaker for very reasonable money. Featured in dealer systems (as is PMC's GB1)

I heard the Ushers and was very impressed for the money. However, there is one or two provisos: 1) they will definitely benefit from a price compatible amp. 2) You need a good pair of sunglasses, allied to plenty of painkillers (if you've seen the migraine yellow version, you'll know exactly what I mean).`

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Do they?

Everything hifi, bar measurements, is subjective and on that note I'd say that a price comparative system is probably the worst you could do with those speakers. I say probably because I haven't tried to many products at that price for long enough to make a well informed opinion but the system that played through the S520's was many times the value.

It doesn't really matter, you either like or don't. Personally, I'd probably had no hesitation to use those speakers with a more expensive system. How they sound will ultimately depend on the whole of the chain but as most speakers I've heard, they are unlikely to sound worse because they're used out of their respective price bracket, more so in this case than some others.

As always, my opinion only.

I see your point, however, when I tested them at the dealers last year, they were connected to Arcam A18/CD17 and I couldn't suss why WHFI only gave them 3 stars. Also I heard a pair of Linn standmounts (can't recall the model number), which were a little better and they retailed at around £700. The third pair was DB1is, and although at £770 at the time, there was a pretty big gulf between PMC and the other two - this was connected to the entry-level Arcams.

Agreed, for the money the Ushers are superb value. I've mentioned them a few times since then but, ultimately, distribution is their achilles heel...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts