Mission accomplished

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:OMG!!

Let me guess - you're bitterly disappointed.
emotion-5.gif

scene

ESP2009:

Let me guess - you're bitterly disappointed.
emotion-5.gif

Don't tell me seven oaks have been following this thread and have delivered the aforementioned llama
emotion-5.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
big congrats pp, i reckon there is a direct correlation between amp and remote quality, the better the amp - the worse the remote!
emotion-5.gif

scene

plastic penguin:
Yup, this Lama doesn't mess the carpet.

It's pretty darn good. The only issue with my Lama as it stands (pardon the pun) is it shows up all my sources.
And so the cycle begins again...

Sounds like the early stages of upgraditis...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
JamesOK:

PP - I may have missed this in another thread, but what have you actually bought!?

Yeah, I'll second that. What flavour of llama have you got?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:JamesOK:

PP - I may have missed this in another thread, but what have you actually bought!?

Leema Pulse...
emotion-2.gif

Right, we have now established that the llama has a pulse, but is it the latest, latest? Do we have to extract the wool strand by strand or what?
emotion-4.gif

ESP2009:plastic penguin:JamesOK:

Leema Pulse...
emotion-2.gif

Right, we have now established that the llama has a pulse, but is it the latest, latest? Do we have to extract the wool strand by strand or what?
emotion-4.gif

Pay attention 007 - I've only been banging on about the Pulse since last September. It's the outgoing model, heavily discounted by 7 Oaks...err, what else? it's silver and plays music very well. A full review this evening once my ears have fully adjusted.

"So fur so good" as they say in Lama land...
emotion-5.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Apologies Q (or should that be L?) I was too busy playing with the gadgets!
emotion-1.gif

I look furward to your post. Don't let 'em pull the wool over your ears!
emotion-5.gif

Sorreltiger:Glad to hear that you've joined the club! I'm very pleased with my Llama, even though it's not as high class as Joel's.

Thank you, membership is gratefully received. It's nice to see the smaller companies having some air time.

At less than half the Antila's Tucana's price do you really expect any different?

A blast from the past came last Sunday. I'd already decided to buy the Leema and the chap who bought my RS6s and A65+ a few months ago has oddly developed into a friendship - we've been out a couple of times for drink. He has become a hi-fi crank (in the nicest possible way), and he could talk the hind legs off a Lama...so Sunday I decided to cheekily phone him and ask whether I could borrow my old RS6s - he agreed
emotion-2.gif

Firstly, the Pulse weighs a ton. It looks absolutely gorgeous, modern and with the inputs and built-in phono stage, it's everything I've been looking for and some... but would the sound reflect its five star rating? The simple answer is YES.

As most of you know, when I heard it back last Septemberish and again earlier this year, I was bowled over by the sound. I was, however, concerned how that would translate in my medium-sized living room. As soon as the blue facia lights started flashing and I placed the first CD in, all my concerns evaporated: The sound is immensely controlled; the bass is very punchy without the heavy handedness of the Arcam. The most striking thing about the overall sound is how dynamic the Leema is. Spinning some Hendrix (Voodoo Doll) and the ebb and flow of the bass and the instruments is jaw dropping.

To appease the OH (that's another story) I put on her Norah Jones album "Don't know Why", and the title track, and the detail expelled was brilliant; she has a breathy voice, alongside the subtle details of the piano and bass guitar was a complete revelation.

Over a six hour period, I tried every concievable style of music in my library to catch the Leema out - I failed miserably.

However, with so much control over the bass has posed another, fairly significant problem: I'm (or was) determined to buy stand mounted, but listening to the Pulse has made me rethink. On the basis of what I've heard I'm thinking PMC GB1is, Spendor A5... however, for the timebeing, I'm just going to enjoy my new amp (RS6s have gone back to their rightful owner so I'm using my old Wharfedales
emotion-9.gif
).

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh dear! And so the cycle continues...

Still, I wouldn't necessarily discount a good pair of standmounts.

Anyway, enjoy that llama. Hey, there's an idea - get yourself some DALI speakers to match.
emotion-2.gif

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear you are enjoying the Llama.

Recently got one myself - using it with my RS6s with the 2310 for AV duty.

Before I was using an Arcam AVR300 for everything.

The difference was amazing and you are right - absolute bargain!!!!

Right, the only problem I have with the Leema, sound-wise, is with tonal quality. Both with RS6s and Wharfedales the Pulse isn't adept tonally than I would hope. This doesn't surprise me, and also I'm convinced the full potential is yet to be realised. So my quest will continue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts