Minidisc! Huah! What is it good for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

colini

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Still have my Sony MDS-JE510 but not for much longer as I'm putting all the MDs music content onto my NAS for Logitech Squeezebox playing.

The SQ was jolly good, in its day, but never caught on mainstream - its most successful application was for hotel/pub artists who had instant access to accompaniments for their solo performances. Most MD decks were rack mounted into studio chasses or as a socket in a small mixer deck. AFAIK they might still be in use as such though I would expect that SD cards would now have taken over that market.

I still have boxes of blank MDs if anyone is interested.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The editing options were superb. Moving tracks around, fade in and fade out, changing the recorded level of any track, the way tracks could be labelled and indexed etc.

I use a Sony MDR for time shifting radio broadcasts using a direct digital input from a Pure DAB radio.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
busb said:
There are bands like the Junkies I feel I ought to investigate (and will do) but have not got around due to my prejudice against bands that HiFi journalists go on about 'cos many are cr*p. I try not to choose music based on SQ alone otherwise I would have given up on pop years ago!

I feel exactly the same. If you choose your music on the basis of SQ, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face, or throwing out the baby with the bathwater, or some such cliche ... And some of the music they recommend in HFNRR makes me cringe.

I'd recommend giving the Cowboy Junkies a spin. The songwriting is pretty good. That album is great late-night music.

That's one good reason for Spotify - am checking them out now

iMark

I now use my Minidisc deck, the MDS-JE 520 (bought second hand because it has optical out) to record vinyl. It has a very decent ADC, compared to the Griffin iMic which I used before. I connect the MD deck to my old MacBook with an optical cable and then run Vinyl Studio to record the vinyl. The sound is great. Latest project was the Mrs Jamie Cullum and Daft Punk records. Jamie Cullum came without digital download and the Daft Punk record sounds like shite as downloaded mp3's.

I record straight to Apple Lossless and the results are very, very good. Especially with brand new records.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts