mini toslink cables/adapters

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm using a chord optichord cable to connect a mac mini to a dacmagic. Where the mini toslink connector plugs into the mac the plug is not flush (it looks like it's not plugged in fully). Is this normal on macs or generally for mini toslink connectors? It does seem to work properly.

If I change to a standard toslink cable and an adapter do I need to be careful which adapter I buy? Most of the adapters I can find seem to be £2 no make items.

Thanks

Tonestar1

I found a mini to ordinary branded toslink on amazon (I think it's QED) was only about £10. Fits perfectly, mac originally, now via airport express. I'm not a big fan of adapters as there will always be some loss of signal. Im surprised the mini to standard toslinks aren't as widely available now, especially with the rise in MAC use. They used to be fairly easy to come by in my minidisk days.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'm using a cheap adapter and cable with mine, the adapter fits flush against the mini. no idea how it compares sq wise, in theory it should be the same if it all fits properly. interesting what you say about the chord though, i was considering one so i could get rid of the adapter.

i've also got a cable where the connector on one end pivots to give either standard or mini toslink. as far as i remember, that one doesn't fit flush but sticks out a bit. a cursory comparison showed no audible difference to the cable and adapter.

A

Anonymous

Got mine from Maplins - only a couple of quid if memory serves me correctly. I got mine to see if it made any difference to the sound from my dac. I couldn't tell the difference so went back to usb input and regained a headphone socket. Macs have a socket that doubles as an analogue/digital input depending on whether you use the mini-toslink or not.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:
i'm using a cheap adapter and cable with mine, the adapter fits flush against the mini. no idea how it compares sq wise, in theory it should be the same if it all fits properly. interesting what you say about the chord though, i was considering one so i could get rid of the adapter.

i've also got a cable where the connector on one end pivots to give either standard or mini toslink. as far as i remember, that one doesn't fit flush but sticks out a bit. a cursory comparison showed no audible difference to the cable and adapter.

Chord tell me that the depth of computer mini toslink sockets varies by manufacturer and with macs such a fit is normal. Not sure why your adapter fits flush though.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Gforce1 - I've got a Mac, and the Chord Optichord with a mini-toslink connector. Mine also does not seem to go in all the way, but it does click in to place pretty positively and it works fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
GForce1:Craig M.:

Chord tell me that the depth of computer mini toslink sockets varies by manufacturer and with macs such a fit is normal. Not sure why your adapter fits flush though.

i bought the adapter at a apple store, might be why?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Being someone who knows little about this subject, help!

I have just purchased a toslink to mini- toslink cable and it has arrows on it showing a flow from the toslink to the mini-toslink, I purchased this so I can hook my AEX to my soon to be purchased DAC. I did't think toslink was unidirectional, any ideas anybody?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts