Mini Speakers for my Study to solve sound problems - Ideas wanted

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've got small study (10ft x 12ft) with my Hi Fi set up in this. I've currently got some Gale Silver Monitor speakers which are on wall mounted brackets about 4ft off the floor. The speakers must be about 3ft from my head when i sit at my desk & the problem is that the sound seems too Bassey / slightly muffled. I now think I need to invest in some mini wall mounted speakers, which cab mounted higher up the wall and will hopefully give a better sound. I did have Gales mounted higher 3ft from the ceiling but the sound was awful.

Any ideas on this? and what speakers i should get - cheers

A

Anonymous

NAD 5440 CD player & Marantz Integrated Amp PM4200 - it's quite old.

Up to £200 if the sound is right

Just had a quick browse on ebay. The likes of Wharfedale 9.1 would work well, although I'm not sure whether they'll significantly harden placed up against the wall.

If you could up your budget I would go for Proac Tablette or AVI Neutrons, but they are considerably more. The list is around £700 & £600 respectively.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - do they fall into a totally different price bracket?

The Gale's are 27x17x17cm. I don't need tiny ones perhaps the size up - just need something that will improve the sound and I feel the Gale's are too big for what i need.

But sound is the real issue for me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Try JBL Control 1. A friend had some in his restaurant. Great fun and punchy with decent bass with a little bit of corner assistance. Alternatively source some Mordaunt Short MS10i's (or pearl editions). Lovely cheap compact with tight fast bass and epos engineering.

A

Anonymous

I would usually say at this stage "Mission E30s" which can be found on ebay for £80 and they can be specced with Mission's own wall mounts, but mine just broke today, so I'm saying Wharfedale Diamonds all the way!

A

Anonymous

I have a study which is 12 x 8 ft and I use Gale Gold Monitors. They are in book cases, about 5 ft up from ground.

I would say try to test them in every imaginable position. My speakers aren't even parallel, but perpendicular. When I sit at my desk the left speaker points directly at my left ear. The right speaker is nearly directly behind my right ear and equidistant. They sound amazing, better than my £1k system, but worse than my £5k system. The treble could be slightly detailed, but they are so velvety, I don't care. I listen to them between 8 to 10 hours a day, five days a week.

I would advise test your speaker in every type of position, even it blows convention. I don't care about convention, only what sounds good.

I would love to see these gales tested, for someone else's opinion.

A

Anonymous

"Neutron" - without a doubt. They've gone down in price these days too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts