Mids harsh with Oberon 5s?

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi there

I recently bought some new kit. I have Dali Oberon 5 speakers & an Arcam A5 amp.

I'm finding the (what I would call...) high mids quite harsh. So for example a crash cymbal sort of range. Can anyone offer any advice? Could it be that the kit just needs to run in?

I'm finding the same issue with both my turntable and my CD player, so it's definitely not a 'source' issue I don't think. I never had this with my old kit (Rotel RA02 & Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s)

The speakers are up against a wall and I have tried different distances, which does affect the overall sound, but not so much these mids. The cabling is all decent QED new kit too.

Thanks

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, from my experience, Dali Oberon line sounds dynamic, open but not harsh or agresive (like B&W or Focal in wrong pairing). I heard Dali Oberon 5 with Rega Brio and some good CD player. It was wery good, well balanced sound. Each new component need run in period, during witch sound is changing. Pls. make proper run in for min 50-70 hours with music and come back if you hear some change, some improvements. If not, we will recommend you next steps. BR. Juraj

Reactions: nosiesta

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi, from my experience, Dali Oberon line sounds dynamic, open but not harsh or agresive (like B&W or Focal in wrong pairing). I heard Dali Oberon 5 with Rega Brio and some good CD player. It was wery good, well balanced sound. Each new component need run in period, during witch sound is changing. Pls. make proper run in for min 50-70 hours with music and come back if you hear some change, some improvements. If not, we will recommend you next steps. BR. Juraj
Thanks. I'll continue to do that.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Most of the crash cymbal EQ is well above the 2.4kHz crossover frequency and so will be handled by the tweeters. I doubt that the tweeters need a whole lot of mechanical burn in. More likely your room and/or your ears?

Reactions: DougK1

Messiah

How long have you been running this combo?

(Did you demo the combination at all or just go from reviews etc - just curious)

I would simply give it time. You may find you simply get used to the different sound. If not, you may need to look at an alternate combo.

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
How long have you been running this combo?

(Did you demo the combination at all or just go from reviews etc - just curious)

I would simply give it time. You may find you simply get used to the different sound. If not, you may need to look at an alternate combo.
Sadly where I live doesn't make demos easy, so I went off reviews etc. It seems to just be a particular frequency range - the rest I really like.

Witterings

I could be wrong but it sounds like you've change everything at once in which case there are likely to be some fairly significant differences overall and not just down to the speakers which seem to be getting "the blame".

Do you have your old kit still, if so change everything back apart from the speakers (including usig the old speaker wire ) and see what you think then and change bits one by one.

I'd also try your new amp with your old speakers (and old speaker cable) and again see what differences you notice.

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
I could be wrong but it sounds like you've change everything at once in which case there are likely to be some fairly significant differences overall and not just down to the speakers which seem to be getting "the blame".

Do you have your old kit still, if so change everything back apart from the speakers (including usig the old speaker wire ) and see what you think then and change bits one by one.

I'd also try your new amp with your old speakers (and old speaker cable) and again see what differences you notice.
You're 100% right on this. I went a bit all in on the changes! I've not got the old kit anymore either! I really didn't expect the mids to be so harsh though. It almost makes you go 'eeeeshkkk!' I get that it might not be perfect and if I had infinite time, money and space, demoing a load of kit and getting something perfect would be the way to go; but I don't and this combo seemed a pretty safe bet that it would be more-than-fine for my 'only slightly fussy' ears :)

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Looks cozy!
I would mount the TV onto the wall and re arrange the pictures. The landlord can't complain about that (I had a tenant that installed a large dog door into an outside door). Then I'd look around for a nice piece of furniture to sit low between the speakers that would hold all the gear, ornaments and books. You'd then only need 2 meter speaker cables and would free up the space next to the door!

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Just temporarily, try taking the plants off the speakers, remove the fairy lights/baubles, and throw an old blanket over the telly. Does it sound any better now?

And maybe close the curtain on the right side.
hi and thanks. Tried this. Didn’t make any difference

gasolin

Try the amp,cdplayer and tt under the tv with different (better) shorter speaker cable when you have mounted the tv to the wall or the tt on the small table next to the tv

Same distance one each side of the tv (trickers some kind of ocd)

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Try the amp,cdplayer and tt under the tv with different (better) shorter speaker cable when you have mounted the tv to the wall or the tt on the small table next to the tv

Same distance one each side of the tv (trickers some kind of ocd)
This is where they used to be! But with the TV where it is. Got some absolutely shocking 'interference' from the TT with the TV & DVD player so close. But that 'could' have been my old speakers & old amp. Who knows. To achieve this, I'd have to mount the TV, buy shorter cable, and ditch the nice TT cabinet I have. It's a lot of 'risk' for something that may make naff all difference, but I do appreciate your advice. Am currently trying to work out whether the increased harshness is more prevalent with the TT than a CD... for example... and I think it is.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi there

I recently bought some new kit. I have Dali Oberon 5 speakers & an Arcam A5 amp.

I'm finding the (what I would call...) high mids quite harsh. So for example a crash cymbal sort of range. Can anyone offer any advice? Could it be that the kit just needs to run in?

I'm finding the same issue with both my turntable and my CD player, so it's definitely not a 'source' issue I don't think. I never had this with my old kit (Rotel RA02 & Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s)

The speakers are up against a wall and I have tried different distances, which does affect the overall sound, but not so much these mids. The cabling is all decent QED new kit too.

Thanks
I had dali Oberon 5 awhile back and wasn't a fan as they too sounded a tad harsh with my Arcam amp.
I changed them by taking my amp with me to richer sounds and demoing my way to the QA 3050i in which the difference to me a much better pairing.

I knew one of them was at fault as having prior heard the Arcam sound lovely with a few other speakers to me it was the amp and speaker pairing.
The fact the speakers were the cheaper option to change made it the easier option.

I've since changed again after to fyne audio but only because of a speaker fault in another system causing the QA to become their replacements.

I found the QA with the Arcam a much nicer refined sound that filled the room full of energy without making me cringe from time to time.

Attachments

• 1000005405.jpg
    1000005405.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts