Michell Techno dec

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Did what hifi ever review the techno dec?

I can only see the orbe and gyro listed on the site.

Also any one thats heard it, how does it compare to the p3-24? (as i'm looking at cheaper options to the gyro se)

Thanks very much

matthewpiano

I've had one and had to sell it for money reasons. Its beautifully engineered and the pitch/speed accuracy is incredible - LPs of piano music played flawlessly. With the Sumiko Evo III Special high output MC I was using it tended towards being very detailed, but slightly clinical. Personally I find the P3-24 a much more involving a musical turntable, and thats what I'll be getting when I can afford to get a better turntable again. I always felt that, in musical terms, the Michell never felt worthy of the price tag (although the quality certainly did).

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply.

I think this one will be the hardest on my list to get a listen to, if the looks weren't so much of an issue (g/f keeps pointing out how dull/ugly the p3-24, emotion, majik lp12, rpm5, and radius 5 (to an extent) are) i'd have just gone for a toss up between the p3-24 and gyro se but trying to find cheaper t/t that looks nice as well as getting a good review is a bit of a mission.

A

Anonymous

Try the Clearaudio Emotion, available at around the £850 if you shop around. Apart from the fact it sounds good, the looks aren't bad either, and the build quality is stunning. If not, then I'm with Matthew, its the P3 for sound. Looks aren't great, I'd agree.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:Try the Clearaudio Emotion, available at around the £850 if you shop around. Apart from the fact it sounds good, the looks aren't bad either, and the build quality is stunning. If not, then I'm with Matthew, its the P3 for sound. Looks aren't great, I'd agree.
I'd happily have this, but Gayle thinks its on the ugly side.
emotion-6.gif

is that £850 for the package or just the tt?

A

Anonymous

The package, as of a couple of days ago. Ugly?? I'm in the process of selling my soul to get one! Has she seen one in the flesh? Very Berlin 21st century in my opinion, anyway.

matthewpiano

One other word - the Michell is an absolute dust trap and the optional UniCover doesn't really help much because it doesn't cover the whole turntable properly. Its a nice looking turntable but its impossible to keep the dust off it and that spoils it when the sun shines on it!!!!

A

Anonymous

I'm now told that the emotion is better looking than the gyro, and the same as the technodec!

A

Anonymous

It was here, but I'll ring them again to-morrow to confirm. Could be a very expensive phone call...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Emotion has gone up significantly in the last few months. I agreed a deal for one for £900 inc the cover, arm, wood cartridge and phono amp, now you would be looking at £1,300 for that.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Joel, that's what I thought, too, but I rang some places last week and more than one dealer said the prices had changed again. My thinking is it might be stock bought before the £ did its nosedive.

A

Anonymous

Yeah i saw that site, but have no idea what those crtridges are like!

Also couldn't see what the charge for shipping would be. May have to give them a bell too.

Have you heard one? My usual place up here much prefers the p3 so don't have one in stock (although the edinburgh branch apparently sells more emotions)

Anywhere else would mean not listening to it with my kit.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Try Analogue Seduction - can be found on eBay, good prices and good service and he will talk deals to an extent too. His name is Gary. Say I referred you.

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yes, I have heard the Clearaudio and really liked what I heard, but you do need to audition. I'd also give the P3-24 with the TT-psu a listen while you're at it - it's a good benchmark deck to test the Clearaudio and others against.

That price hike is beginning to worry me - the £1300 that Joel was quoted will buy you two Regas and, as I have been gently reminded, there is the bedroom floor that needs replacing...

Edit: Whoops, sorry, see you're looking at the P3-24 already.

A

Anonymous

just called a different dealer from the one i normally use and they said (regarding the technodec and gyro se:

No we don't have them on demo at the moment as most people are just happy to buy on reputation and recommendation...

Err yes mate, your most people obviously have more money than sense.

A

Anonymous

I'm afraid I can't comment on the P3, never having listened to it. But, when moving on from a John Michell (Transcriptor)Saturn I listened to quite a few TT's (sorry but can't remember exactly which models, but did include Rega, Thorens, Linn etc) and loved the sound of the Tecnodek. And yes, it does attract dust but hey-ho. Got mine from Viking in York, good service and expert advice, and if you can't stretch to a Gyro/Orbe then go for it. The control it demostrates over rpm, pitch and tone is very impressive. Back to back with my Naim cd5i it more than holds it's ground. And personally I (and the missus) love the way it looks. The power supply can be upgraded if required, and it is almost infintely adaptable on the arm front, providing a stable and interference free platform.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Yeah fair point Matthew. I have a Unicover on my Michell Gyro SE but also my whole rack is covered with a large sheet when not in use to protect everything from dust. Michell do make complete covers and ones from other manufacturers would fit also. They don't come cheap but have a look here:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/acatalog/Turntable_Covers.html

matthewpiano:One other word - the Michell is an absolute dust trap and the optional UniCover doesn't really help much because it doesn't cover the whole turntable properly. Its a nice looking turntable but its impossible to keep the dust off it and that spoils it when the sun shines on it!!!!

A

Anonymous

Can any of you give me the size of the tt psu? the rega website doesn't seem to show it and i have had no luck on google! (looking at a couple of stands and i think it'd be a tight fit if its much bigger than a phono stage)

Also has anyone heard the heed Questar against the moon lp3?

They're in different shops and with different brands, so no AB tests for me.

A

Anonymous

Try giving Synergy a ring to-morrow. They're usually really helpful.

So you're going for the Rega then?

A

Anonymous

not listened to them, but given the price and reviews i think that unless i am totally and utterly blown away by the gyro se or emotion which are significantly more then it'll be the winner.

also i think the gloss black will look quite nice. the web site makes them look alot more garish than in real life.

A

Anonymous

Had the demo of the p3-24 colours this morning. Tried it with both the moon lp3 and my nad p2, the one had far far too much bass, which made the vocals etc sound muffled, the pp2 on the other hand wass totally the other extreme.

After talking to the dealer about this, i took the p3-24 (in high gloss black), moon lp3, grado green, chord chamelion plus and chord chrimson. £750 after trading in a c542, debuet III (in need of new needle) and pp2. Think i got an outstanding deal!

All with the promise that if we can't get on with the phono stage then i can return that for full refund and try something else. Apparently it has lots of dip switches inside which can tune the whole frequency range or something. ALso true for the cables since we'd not heard them in the demo (i hadn't mentioned needing new cables beforehand - silly Ed)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts