Metal Dome vs Soft Dome Tweeters.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have now had the experiance of two metal dome speakers (Mission sx 1's & MA Bronze 2's) and i'm just not convinced by metal dome tweeters at least in budget designs.

To me the tweeter audibly starts to break up at high volumes giving a rough screechy and brittle sound. Also the music is given a chrome platted sheen imparting a totally artificial quality.

Soft dome tweeters to me sound much more natural in the treble with a smoothness and delicacy metal domes just can't match.

As you spend more money do metal domes improve in quality?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That is too big of a generalization.

The Celestion SL6 of the 80s had a metal dome tweeter and was often criticized as being too smooth, to the point of being soporific. The Monitor Audio R852 (also of the 80s), also sounded very natural.

Kef R Series and Harbeth both use Metal Dome tweeters (Harbeth only in some models), nether of which sound hard and metalic.

There are applications which I find as you describe....but you can also find soft domes that are a bit sharp. The older ATCs had a very revealing soft dome, which had no mercy with poor recordings or bright electronics.

My older Kef Refs can easily be provoked into sounding a bit bright - which is why I use a Class A amp. The new Refs, while even more revealing, are a little more forgiving of brighter electronics. Both use metal dome.

IME. It's much better not to get hung up on the tweeter, but listen to a big variety of speakers and go with what you like (whatever Tweeter it uses). Matching with an Amp, also has a big part to play.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Metal Dome vs Soft Dome Tweeters.
I have now had the experiance of two metal dome speakers (Mission sx 1's & MA Bronze 2's) and i'm just not convinced by metal dome tweeters at least in budget designs.

To me the tweeter audibly starts to break up at high volumes giving a rough screechy and brittle sound. Also the music is given a chrome platted sheen imparting a totally artificial quality.

Soft dome tweeters to me sound much more natural in the treble with a smoothness and delicacy metal domes just can't match.

What ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am not suprised that metal is attributed with ‘metallic’ properties and silk dome with natural, smooth, organic properties.

Someone has already mentioned how ‘natural’ some Harbeths sound with their metal tweeters (P3ESR for instance).

I have experience of some excellent speakers with different kinds of tweeter (silk, paper, plastic, metal).

I am reminded of wine tasting terms ...

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/learn/vocabulary/tasting-terms

abacus

You have got to be seriously overdriving the tweeters for them to breakup, but if you do, then by their very nature the soft dome will appear to produce less distortion than metal dome.

Apart from the above, it all comes down to system synergy, which if matched will sound great, but if not, then you will never be satisfied. (Too many people buy on review results (Hence the dissatisfaction) rather than using their ears)

Psychologically, metal is always considered as bright (Just like silver cable) but as soon as you take away the knowledge, (Blind test) then the differences disappear.

Bill

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chunky70 said:

As you spend more money do metal domes improve in quality?

Both the Mission and Monitor Audio speakers use metal cone bass/mid drivers, these are far more likely to produce the 'rough screechy' sound you you are complaining about.

Driven hard, some metal cone drivers break up quite badly an octave or two above the crossover and this is a primary cause of the problems you describe. Tweeters can be good, bad or indifferent, the dome material is the least of their problems.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The Acoustic Energy site lists my AE1 actives as having these tweeters. As others have mentioned, without being told, you wouldn’t be able to guess the material composition. Can listen to these speakers for hours without any fatigue. Biggest problem I’m experiencing at the moment is switching them off and doing something else!

insider9

It's often irrelevant

I use ribbons (metal) they sound the most natural of all tweeters. They are most certainly not harsh. They reproduce faithfully what's on the recording. That means they will be aggressive when necessary and smooth when necessary. I don't believe an overall smooth tweeter can be described as natural, many cymbals sound brash when played and most horns instruments also have this in store.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts