Messing about with Sonos

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Earlier I posted a brief note on a Fidelity Audio modded Sonos ZP90 (since renamed 'Connect') here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/modifying-cd-players#comment-2844018

I trialled this against an unmodded ZP90 through the Audiolab MDAC in my study (see signature).

I've also been trying out the Arcam Sonlink:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rseries,wired-dacs,SonLink.htm

This is basically the Arcam rDAC cased in a smart little box designed to replace the ZP90/Connect's onboard DAC and to sit underneath it. It's selling point, as far as I'm concerned, is that it's nearly invisible and it allows you to use the Sonos volume controls (unlike an outboard DAC/preamp, which will have a separate volume contraol). It sells for £190.

Is it worth it? So far, yes. It seems to extend the top end upwards and give extra clarity all round. It's a long way behind the MDAC, but it's a lot cheaper.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I've also been trying out the Arcam Sonlink:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rseries,wired-dacs,SonLink.htm

This is basically the Arcam rDAC cased in a smart little box

It's not "basically" one of them, it IS one of them, open the case you'll find a standard rDAC inside, complete with additional input. Then weep when you realise you've just paid more than £30 extra for a plastic box.

It's selling point, as far as I'm concerned, is that it's nearly invisible and it allows you to use the Sonos volume controls (unlike an outboard DAC/preamp, which will have a separate volume control)

Erm, there's a lot of DACs that don't have volume controls, that's not a big deal.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
It's not "basically" one of them, it IS one of them

I think you're just splitting hairs about my use of the word "basically", which was entirely within standard colloquial usage. But if you want to have an argument about semantics, I'll be happy to oblige.

The_Lhc said:
open the case you'll find a standard rDAC inside, complete with additional input. Then weep when you realise you've just paid more than £30 extra for a plastic box.

No reason to weep. I love the little white boxes! :love:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:
It's not "basically" one of them, it IS one of them

I think you're just splitting hairs about my use of the word "basically", which was entirely within standard colloquial usage. But if you want to have an argument about semantics, I'll be happy to oblige.

I'm not arguing about semantics, I'm pointing out to those that might be thinking of buying one that it is exactly the same device but...

The_Lhc said:
open the case you'll find a standard rDAC inside, complete with additional input. Then weep when you realise you've just paid more than £30 extra for a plastic box.

No reason to weep. I love the little white boxes! :love:

...£30 quid LESS gets you an extra input and 24bit support that you can actually use.

What I'm saying is I don't understand why anyone would pay extra to get it, when the normal one is cheaper and more flexible.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I'm not arguing about semantics, I'm pointing out to those that might be thinking of buying one that it is exactly the same device but...

...£30 quid LESS gets you an extra input and 24bit support that you can actually use.

Yes, it's basically exactly the same except for the respects in which it isn't exactly the same, i.e. features that it doesn't have and that I don't need anyway.

The_Lhc said:
What I'm saying is I don't understand why anyone would pay extra to get it, when the normal one is cheaper and more flexible.

It adds nothing to the footprint of the ZP90, which, in the room where I'm now using it, is a significant aesthetic benefit. Which is presumably what it's designed for. Also the rLink only comes in black. :sick:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:

Yes, it's basically exactly the same except for the respects in which it isn't exactly the same, i.e. features that it doesn't have and that I don't need anyway.

Exactly, you're paying MORE for getting fewer features (except the features ARE there, they're just hidden inside the box). I've got admit that's genius, even Apple haven't managed to convince people to do that...

The_Lhc said:

It adds nothing to the footprint of the ZP90, which, in the room where I'm now using it, is a significant aesthetic benefit. Which is presumably what it's designed for. Also the rLink only comes in black. :sick:

But it's so small you could just hide it behind your existing equipment...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
@Matt49

Does the z90 upgrade get bypassed when using an external dac? Seen various opinions on z90 upgrades but would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Oh and I also rate the SonLink after hearing it in my Dad's set up. Sounds and looks the part IMO and he got a good package deal from Richer Sounds!

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast - you're a braver man than me! :silenced:

I was about to say the rDac doesn't go above 96k but have just checked and it does up to 192k on the coax input. Which I didn't know, and I've got one. Doh!!! (can we have an emoticon for that please). In my defence I use USB for connection to my Mac Mini, but thank you LHC for making me look.

Have to say I'd pay a bit more to get it to match the Sonos (if I had one)

Matt49 - if you're into tweaking have a look at this power supply upgrade for the rDac - £20 from Maplins and it makes quite a difference. Not available in white though! http://tinyurl.com/cakgjhp Correction, £15, it's on offer. Just remember to set it to the right voltage or you risk frying the rDac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
@Matt49

Does the z90 upgrade get bypassed when using an external dac? Seen various opinions on z90 upgrades but would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Oh and I also rate the SonLink after hearing it in my Dad's set up. Sounds and looks the part IMO and he got a good package deal from Richer Sounds!

@p_m_brown

No, the upgrade doesn't do anything specifically to the DAC in the ZP90; it's more of a general fix to the power supply and clock (although this might also improve the DAC, I guess).

The upgraded ZP90 is being used with the MDAC, where the sonic benefits of an upgrade would be greater. The ZP90 for which I bought the Sonlink is in a less ambitious system in my dining room (system still not finished, so not in my sig below), and I'm not sure whether the upgrade would be worth the cost in that case.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Thanks matt49 - I run my Sonos kit through a Leema Dac so probably worth investigating.

Any particular areas of improvment?

Cheers

p_m_brown

No worries.

This is what I said on another thread:

matt49 said:
I've been running the modded ZP90 (Fidelity Audio level II) alongside an unmodded one, both going into the optical digital inputs in my MDAC, playing the same music from the same bitperfect source. Using the selector on the MDAC remote I can switch instananeously between the two ZP90s.

The most obvious difference is that the modded ZP90 has a smoother and more 'analogue' presentation. In comparison the unmodded ZP90 sounds grainy and edgy, especially in the high and upper middle frequencies. The modded version also has more space around the music and better separation. Base is a fraction tighter.

But the mod is expensive, and if I was starting with a blank canvas and wasn't already committed to the functionality of Sonos, I'm not sure I'd go down this route. Still, I'm satisfied with what the mod has done for my study system. Job done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts