Problem checking my system with a stereo test record

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Found a 1967 Decca stereo test LP in a secondhand shop - How To Give Yourself A Stereo Check-Out (SKL 4861). Although my system sounds pretty good I've been using the test record to check it's set up correctly. One track deals with tone controls. You hear low, mid and high frequency warble tones. According to the narrator (Jack De Manio) you should hear them at the same volume. If you don't, you need to adjust the tone levels using the tone controls. (Remember tone control knobs?) When I listened, the midrange frequencies were by far the loudest, high and low frequencies sounded quieter, the high frequencies much quieter. My Arcam amp doesn't have tone controls so there's nothing I can do about that. Unless someone out there knows better. So, assuming my Arcam FMJ A19 has been designed and built to give me the correct tone levels, and my fairly new Nagaoka MP-200 has been correctly set up (it was done for me by a hifi pro), the only conclusions I can draw are that either my hearing is impaired or things sounded different in the 60s...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Our ears are naturally less sensitive at high and low frequencies, which gets only worse as we age. To test whether your system is truly playing 'flat' you would need an SPL meter which is also flat across the range to be tested, and an acoustically dead room which neither emphasizes nor cancels out any frequencies. There's probably other variables I've missed, but those are enough to be getting on with.

Interesting, perhaps it might be worthwhile getting hold of another test LP like the very good HiFi News one (I think that's right but will check when I get home). These tend to concentrate on cartridge alignment and trackability and don't have the tone control features.

Otherwise I can add nothing to the Majors' comments.

EDIT: I see Amazon stock the LP mentioned but it's ruddy expensive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
6and8 said:
... If you don't, you need to adjust the tone levels using the tone controls. (Remember tone control knobs?) ...

Don't need to 'remember' them.

They are still there on many modern amps including many from highly respected brands. (Luxman, Accuphase, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc. etc.)

In fact the immediate predecessor to your own amp (Arcam A18) had bass, treble and balance controls.

D

Deleted member 108165

6and8 said:
Yes, I saw the Hi Fi News test album on Amazon - £27. A mate of mine has a copy, I can borrow that to double check.

Got one and wouldn't set a cart up without it now, especially good at bias setting and cart/arm resonant frequency tests. Nagaoka's usually sail through the first three bias tracks with ease. For some weird reason I've never been able to dial-in the bias on any Ortofon cart with this LP, they appear to be very poor trackers, or I'm doing something wrong. *unknw*

DougK said:
6and8 said:
Yes, I saw the Hi Fi News test album on Amazon - £27. A mate of mine has a copy, I can borrow that to double check.

Got one and wouldn't set a cart up without it now, especially good at bias setting and cart/arm resonant frequency tests. Nagaoka's usually sail through the first three bias tracks with ease. For some weird reason I've never been able to dial-in the bias on any Ortofon cart with this LP, they appear to be very poor trackers, or I'm doing something wrong. *unknw*

No. One of the best trackers I had was the cheap Shure M97xE, Ortofons especially the cheaper models are not reknown for it which is one reason I never recommend them.

D

Deleted member 108165

Al ears said:
No. One of the best trackers I had was the cheap Shure M97xE, Ortofons especially the cheaper models are not reknown for it which is one reason I never recommend them.

I may just give that Shure a try someday *biggrin* The best tracker I've had so far is the AT440mlb, amazing. Regarding the Ortofons, even using the Feickert alignment tool on the Bronze and Black I've never had any success at getting the bias setting anywhere near acceptable.

DougK said:
Al ears said:

I may just give that Shure a try someday *biggrin* The best tracker I've had so far is the AT440mlb, amazing. Regarding the Ortofons, even using the Feickert alignment tool on the Bronze and Black I've never had any success at getting the bias setting anywhere near acceptable.

AT440 is good isn't it. My go to cartridge in that price bracket.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts