Sonos Upgrade - Arcam rSeries SonLink

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Apologies if this has been flagged up before, it was a latest news item on the Arcam website yesterday 18th Decemebr. A new Arcam DAC specifically for the Sonos Connect (out early 2013) looks like an interesting upgrade. Price looks like being £185.

Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rseries,Wired-DACs,SonLink.htm

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Stevee_W said:
Apologies if this has been flagged up before, it was a latest news item on the Arcam website yesterday 18th Decemebr. A new Arcam DAC specifically for the Sonos Connect (out early 2013) looks like an interesting upgrade. Price looks like being £185.

It is interesting, nice neat solution, shame at least three of those supported sample rates will never get used though, unless you plug something else into the DAC as well.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Stevee_W said:

It is interesting, nice neat solution, shame at least three of those supported sample rates will never get used though, unless you plug something else into the DAC as well.
Maybe....but it depends where the current limitation is with the Sonos. If it's the internal DAC there is a small possibility that Hi-Def music will be enabled via a digital out.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
Stevee_W said:

Maybe....but it depends where the current limitation is with the Sonos. If it's the internal DAC there is a small possibility that Hi-Def music will be enabled via a digital out.

From what I understand Sonos uses a 24-bit digital output, but 8-bits are used for volume control, hence the 16-bit restriction. In theory I guess that means if a unit was set to fixed volume it might be able to handle 24-bit but then of course you wouldn't be able to adjust the volume on the amped models (ZP120, Play3, Play5) and Sonos will never put themselves in the position where one unit can do something the others can't, it's all about the compatibility for them.

Anyhow, it's a moot point, on the new ask.sonos.com website 24-bit support has been requested and has been officially marked as "Not being considered", which is about as definite as Sonos ever gets.

Interesting that it seems to have a captive coaxial lead, I thought at first glance that it had another input but it doesn't, so those other sample rates and bit depths will never get used (I guess it's cheaper than re-engineering the unit to remove them or perhaps Arcam have been told something we haven't). Sonos does also support sample rates lower than 44.1kHz, I guess they wouldn't be recognised by this unit?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fatman said:
My understanding was that Sonos didn't do 192 digital output.

It doesn't, or 96 or 88. I'm not even sure if it supports 48kHz if I'm honest.

Arcam do state they have just re-housed the rLink.

But omitted the optical input, which would at least have made it slightly more flexible for use with other devices. That's the oddest part about this device. I think I'd rather forego the matching look and just get an rLink instead if it was me.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fatman said:
Yep, it would need to be much cheaper than the rLink for me.

I hadn't even thought about the price, so if it is £185 that would make it... hmmm, 35 pounds MORE than the rLink? For a different case and LESS connections? That's nuts...

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Stevee_W said:

Only has one digital input :wall:

Def intereste din peoples thoughts tho as i'm thinkin of gettin one for my cambridge setup in the living room.. Does anyone use one now? How does the sound compare to say a £200 CD player? I have 540a + 540c and sounds really good.. Nice lively entertaining sound

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigColz said:
The_Lhc said:
Stevee_W said:

Yes, only noticed that at a second look.

Def intereste din peoples thoughts tho as i'm thinkin of gettin one for my cambridge setup in the living room.. Does anyone use one now? How does the sound compare to say a £200 CD player? I have 540a + 540c and sounds really good.. Nice lively entertaining sound

What are you referring to, a Sonos ZP90/Connect, an rLink or the SonLink? Nobody's using the SonLink, it hasn't been released yet. I own a ZP90 but I couldn't tell you how it compares to any CD player as I've never owned one.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Peter Tyson will have them in stock tomorrow.

The jury is well and truly out on the benefits of a DAC and Sonos, so I think I'll wait for the WHF teams glowing review before I make a decision.

"To complete this form, please complete the word verification below." EVERY SODDING TIME!!!!!!!! |(

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigColz said:
The_Lhc said:
Stevee_W said:

Yes, only noticed that at a second look.

What are you referring to, a Sonos ZP90/Connect, an rLink or the SonLink? Nobody's using the SonLink, it hasn't been released yet. I own a ZP90 but I couldn't tell you how it compares to any CD player as I've never owned one.

I meant just a Sonos Connect wired into an amp through phono.. I assume ZP90 another name for the Connect, or a previous model?

Are you happy with the sound quality? I just want it to sound entertaining i'm not too bothered about digging up tons of detail etc as long as it doesn't not too far off a half decent CD player and doesn't sound flat and lifeless like when I connect an iPod through phono..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigColz said:
The_LHC said:
BigColz said:

I meant just a Sonos Connect wired into an amp through phono.. I assume ZP90 another name for the Connect, or a previous model?

ZP90 is previous name for the Connect but they're identical in every other way. I'm not using the phono outputs though, I'm taking a digital output into my AV receiver.

Are you happy with the sound quality?

I found a big step in quality using the digital output over the phonos, however I was using a cheap (read free) phono lead, which may not have helped and I may also have been imagining it as from what I understand the output level on the phonos is somewhat lower than the digital output, so it may just have sounded louder, which the brain equates to better. I can't be bothered to change it back though.

I just want it to sound entertaining i'm not too bothered about digging up tons of detail etc as long as it doesn't not too far off a half decent CD player and doesn't sound flat and lifeless like when I connect an iPod through phono..

Well like I said I've never owned a CD player, I've also never owned an iPod but I'm perfectly happy with the setup I've got at the moment, I really don't have anything to compare it to though.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigColz said:
The_LHC said:
BigColz said:

ZP90 is previous name for the Connect but they're identical in every other way. I'm not using the phono outputs though, I'm taking a digital output into my AV receiver.

Are you happy with the sound quality?

I found a big step in quality using the digital output over the phonos, however I was using a cheap (read free) phono lead, which may not have helped and I may also have been imagining it as from what I understand the output level on the phonos is somewhat lower than the digital output, so it may just have sounded louder, which the brain equates to better. I can't be bothered to change it back though.

I just want it to sound entertaining i'm not too bothered about digging up tons of detail etc as long as it doesn't not too far off a half decent CD player and doesn't sound flat and lifeless like when I connect an iPod through phono..

Well like I said I've never owned a CD player, I've also never owned an iPod but I'm perfectly happy with the setup I've got at the moment, I really don't have anything to compare it to though.

Ok thanks for your input.. I think I will get one just because it's so user friendly and keep CD player incase I feel like banging a CD on.. No point until I get my NAS setup though.. May get a Play 3 or 5 to link in the garden for BBQ's in summer :cheers:

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
BigColz said:
Are you happy with the sound quality? I just want it to sound entertaining i'm not too bothered about digging up tons of detail etc as long as it doesn't not too far off a half decent CD player and doesn't sound flat and lifeless like when I connect an iPod through phono..

I'm using my "Connect"/ZP90 through a Cambridge Dacmagic via digital co-axial and have a Cambridge CD5 connected via optical.

There are differences if you listen hard but it's plenty good enough for most purposes

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
visionary said:
BigColz said:

I'm using my "Connect"/ZP90 through a Cambridge Dacmagic via digital co-axial and have a Cambridge CD5 connected via optical.

There are differences if you listen hard but it's plenty good enough for most purposes

Ok cheers.. So we've established it's a fairly decent digital source. I don't suppose you've ever tried the Sonos via phono straight into your amp? :? I'm sure it will be good enough i'll just buy one when I get my NAS next year.. Cheers :cheers:

A

Anonymous

There is a definite difference between the bundled phono leads and a decent set, I was surprised.

I also noticed a significant increase in SQ when taking a coaxial output from the Sonos and into an external DAC equipped amplifier - but obviously it depends on your DAC as the one in the Sonos is pretty good.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
BigColz said:
Ok cheers.. So we've established it's a fairly decent digital source. I don't suppose you've ever tried the Sonos via phono straight into your amp? :? I'm sure it will be good enough i'll just buy one when I get my NAS next year.. Cheers :cheers:
There is nothing wrong with the internal DAC on the ZP90, the phono outputs are pretty good.

I've connected the phono outputs of the Sonos to one input of my amplifier and also fed a coax out of the Sonos into my mdac which is on another input of the amplifier. when switching between the inputs of my amplifier, the differences aren't that significant.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
eggontoast said:
BigColz said:
There is nothing wrong with the internal DAC on the ZP90, the phono outputs are pretty good.

I've connected the phono outputs of the Sonos to one input of my amplifier and also fed a coax out of the Sonos into my mdac which is on another input of the amplifier. when switching between the inputs of my amplifier, the differences aren't that significant.

Thats what I wanted to hear :) Thanks! I'll use a half decent hifi interconnect.. Got a cambridge audio one that is good with my CD player :rockout: :cheers:

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I fear that Arcam have lost their way a little with this - it rather has a touch of the 'Russ Andrews' about it. Getting an external DAC to improve your Sonos Connect is fine, but surely anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of what they were buying would spend the same money on a DAC that had more than one input, and was not so obviously limited by design to support a single specific source component?

Great respect for Arcam as a former owner, but strange, strange product!

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Dan Turner said:

I agree Dan. It does seeme to be a bit of a one trick pony. Maybe Arcam are hoping that Sonos owners wil regard it as a "neat" (cosmetically matching?) solution to improve on the basic Sonos.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Stevee_W said:
Dan Turner said:

I agree Dan. It does seeme to be a bit of a one trick pony. Maybe Arcam are hoping that Sonos owners wil regard it as a "neat" (cosmetically matching?) solution to improve on the basic Sonos.

Which it probably is but it's still an rLink in a fancy costume and less inputs for MORE money. Which is... odd. At the start of this thread I was interested, now, if I buy anything, I'll buy an rLink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts