Meridian DSP 3200 + AC 200 - Third time Active Speaker Disappointment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the vid. I see you have the same problem in your living room as I do :)

I've seen many such vids on the utube and I'd say your system falls into category hi-fi'ish. which means your system sounds correct from every hi-fi stand point, but it fails to meet one critical aim - to sound realistic. it sounds like a good recording heard through a good system. it doesn't give me the impression the artist is being present in the room.

here's a few examples of vids of equipment that meet that requirement IMO. I'm really feeling like someone was recording a live event, not a replay from hi-fi. you can let me know if you agree with my opinion.

1. this one is silent on the beginning so give it a few seconds to start playing music. it's VTL and Magnepan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyUhlZ5FFI

2. in this one is slightly annoying as the camera guy is constantly walking around and talking some BS. but be patient and wait for moments when the sound balance is not skewed by close proximity of the camera mic to the speakers. this one is all Pathos gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdonruYfhPk

3. anther vid of all Pathos gear. but this time in company of other manufacturers' set ups. you can compare. Pathos is 3rd. Magico and Soulution sounds quite well too IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWcBi8WJVMY

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
How can you honestly make an accurate assessment of someones system in such circumstances? Not least of all the unknown quantities will be room acoustics. You might have at least had a fighting chance had the speakers been close mic'd.

These comments are joke right?

A

Anonymous

When ever I listen to peoples hifis on you tube they all sound the same. Listening this way all that I can hear is whatever computer speakers I have plugged into my computer.

At the moment your system sounds like tinny music played through my Yamaha speakers. If I was to plug in my old Logitech speakers it would just makes your expensive hifi sound like cheap computer speakers. I do not mean to sound rude but what is the point.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
Oh I dunno, I think Darren's video of the ADMs makes them sound quite good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP2vsQqIG_k

Could do with a bit more bass maybe...

The ADM9 speakers do not sound anything like that in real life.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
How can you honestly make an accurate assessment of someones system in such circumstances? Not least of all the unknown quantities will be room acoustics. You might have at least had a fighting chance had the speakers been close mic'd.

These comments are joke right?

no, this comment is not a joke. and my logic is that everything will sound rubbish recorded with a camera mic. but if in the see of rubbish vids you can find a few that would actually sound well that can only bode well for the equipment. it might just sound also well if experienced in the flesh.

BTW. AVIs sound rubbish too in that vid IMO.

EDIT: re room acoustics. this is as important aspect of your audio set up as anything else. but if you have a good set up it will sound well even in a cupboard.

re close micking of speakers. I sincerely don't know how you want to get any stereo perspective with that. not to mention driver outputs won't blend properly. unless maybe you record mini monitors.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The vid was not for quality but for a test to see if you feel the mid range appears recessed against everything rise,

There is quite a lot of bass the cam doesn't pick up, however my freq response is a little light at 125htz, I am looking into that when I can. I might be getting some cancellation from sub/ speakers - my cousin might have discovered something with mccac and it's sub phase setup. If you are not used to a flat curve response you might be used to hearing bass weight that us actually modes, not clean bass just saying as its true. I will try and show freq response when I can

Frim vids like this you don't get any sense of soundstage all squeezed in and obviously how this sounds Played back depends on how good your pc sounds. Unless you have a good sound card and there is not many then either a good speaker/ amp combo or good headphone amp / headphones then believe it or not your comp system is not doing justice to the vid - that is honestly true same with everything.

only good of sound card is asus st or stx and even that needs the op Amps changing.

In terms of realism I have a fairly flat curve eq - that gives me a studio type sound, so realism I am quite close to how recorded but you will not get a live sound from music like that - it's studio recorded. In fact the meridian sound / design is aimed at realism, but without going overboard to be sterile analytical.

Only so much gonna get from an av amp as well - the the lx83 is bloody good in the right hands.

Will listen to all those vids when I can and comment back - cheers for the comments is interesting

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
He (oldric_naubhoff )is right - my system does not sound like those there - and he is right what he is getting at - I hear what he is trying to say.

I have listened to the first 2 vids

But come on man you are comparing my system to extreme high end and in the second vid the room has all treatment in loads of curtains and stuff - so thanks for comparing to that, but its a little unfair, however your right that is the goal - I have learnt a little lesson there they do sound more real in the room. My goal is for accurate repoduction same as you

I cant compete with them - However if you notice in the second video the pc screen with albums on it - That looks like a Meridian Control 10/15 so they are using a Meridian Source - says a lot.

I have a source thats capable of much more than my av amp is giving i know that - very high end source

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't get this.

How does an Youtube video show the SQ of a set up? There are so many new parameters when compared to listening to the same track on my set-up. For instance the quality of the Mic that is used to record the sound in the videos or the quality of the recording, positioning of the mic and in the end the sound is played by MY system. If I assume that all of the variables are dealt with utmost care for best reprodcution, what I hear in the end is MY OWN system!!

Beats me :?

Though thanks for all the links.. I could see some good set ups in real world situations (better that way than stock pictures) and listen to Guantanamera !!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
The vid was not for quality but for a test to see if you feel the mid range appears recessed against everything rise,

Hi.. As I said before I did not audition your set up but the DSP 3200. From your video, my system produced almost no bass where as DSP 3200 was over powering bass and that added to the recessed mid range.

I am not sure how the vocals in your set up are, as long as you enjoy them then that is all it matters!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
:wall: I have read some bizarre things on forums, but some of the posts on this thread really do take things to a whole new level. :wall:

I really can't believe my eyes. I know I'll make a video, put it on YouTube, so everyone can see how incredulous I am.

Trying to get back to the realm of reality.

Wishtree, stop worrying about what you don't like and find what you do. It is pretty clear that your preference in sound is not Active so get on and audition different gear; although what you expect from some gear, given the wide cost differential, is a mystery to me.???????????

Best of luck with your search, try to demo apples against apples because you are never going to be happy otherwise.

A

Anonymous

ellisdj said:

There is quite a lot of bass the cam doesn't pick up, however my freq response is a little light at 125htz, I am looking into that when I can. I might be getting some cancellation from sub/ speakers - my cousin might have discovered something with mccac and it's sub phase setup. If you are not used to a flat curve response you might be used to hearing bass weight that us actually modes, not clean bass just saying as its true. I will try and show freq response when I can

Frim vids like this you don't get any sense of soundstage all squeezed in and obviously how this sounds Played back depends on how good your pc sounds. Unless you have a good sound card and there is not many then either a good speaker/ amp combo or good headphone amp / headphones then believe it or not your comp system is not doing justice to the vid - that is honestly true same with everything.

only good of sound card is asus st or stx and even that needs the op Amps changing.

In terms of realism I have a fairly flat curve eq - that gives me a studio type sound, so realism I am quite close to how recorded but you will not get a live sound from music like that - it's studio recorded. In fact the meridian sound / design is aimed at realism, but without going overboard to be sterile analytical.

Only so much gonna get from an av amp as well - the the lx83 is bloody good in the right hands.

Will listen to all those vids when I can and comment back - cheers for the comments is interesting

I am new to this hifi game so just ignore me if what I say is wrong.

You said that you hifi is a little light at 125htz. Could you use a graphic equalizer to make it louder at 125htz.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
Wishtree, stop worrying about what you don't like and find what you do. It is pretty clear that your preference in sound is not Active so get on and audition different gear; although what you expect from some gear, given the wide cost differential, is a mystery to me.???????????

Best of luck with your search, try to demo apples against apples because you are never going to be happy otherwise.

Thanks relocated!

Well.. I am not worried about anything though the engineer in me tells me that active speaker should sound great where as my experiences seem to contradict from time to time. That does not mean that I will stop audition the active speakers ever but will definetly post here if I find some real good ones (May be Genelec or Opals or Adam.. never know!)

I am aware of the price differences but again the incremental gain vs the incremental price is a sure diminishing returns. So my expectation is that all gear costing some money (let us say 2000 pounds including DAC,amp, speakers etc) should work reasonably well.

What I found with Meridian DSP 3200 is mediocre at best which is purely my opinion. If there is a potential buyer then he should surely audition other non-active / active counter parts before commiting around 5500 pounds for this system which again IMO, is a pure rip off. A friendly note for those who care for it. That is all it is!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
Overdose said:
If you spent £4k on 'pro audio' instead of 'high-end', I reckon you'd hear a completely different side to actives. That sort of money would get you some very capable monitors indeed, with enough left over for a couple of screens to hide them. ;)

I might but I was constantly driven away sub consciously that pro audio is designed to show everything in the recording where as my hobby is only to enjoy the music at the highest quality possible / affordable. I might be wrong here but somehow pro audio equals to honest / analytical / unforgiving :(

I agree with overdose. Cause am a music producer & hear alot of speakers in different studio enviroments. Try studio monitors as suppose to high-end you may just be blown away.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
He (oldric_naubhoff )is right - my system does not sound like those there - and he is right what he is getting at - I hear what he is trying to say.

I have listened to the first 2 vids

thanks mate! I'm glad I didn't come out as a complete idiot with this one :)

ellisdj said:
But come on man you are comparing my system to extreme high end and in the second vid the room has all treatment in loads of curtains and stuff - so thanks for comparing to that, but its a little unfair, however your right that is the goal - I have learnt a little lesson there they do sound more real in the room. My goal is for accurate reproduction same as you

yes, I know there's a gulf of price difference between your system (and mine too for that matter) and the ones filmed but I just wanted to give an example of what I mean. I'm hoping one day to experience those magnificent set ups in person and find out how reliable can a utube vid be in assessing sound quality of a system. but for now vids must suffice.

I think you don't have to spend all that much to get excellent sound. the cheapest Inpol amp from Pathos, the TT, will be as well sounding as that massive Synapse + Adrenalin combo. they only make them bigger and more powerful. Magnepans of 3 series while not dirt cheap, are regarded as true bargains in terms of sound quality in hi-fi world. smaller models are also well regarded and sound great. I should know since I have MG12 in my living room.

I should also try out some SET tube amp one day. whenever I read about them I always find the same praise - palpable presence, and that's what I'm aiming for primarily. but the engineer in me says it can't be true if you check measured performance of any such amp. they just can't work well...

ellisdj said:
I cant compete with them - However if you notice in the second video the pc screen with albums on it - That looks like a Meridian Control 10/15 so they are using a Meridian Source - says a lot.

that's not a Meridian piece of gear your saw, I can assure you. that large flat screen is part of what is called Pathos Musiteca. google some pics if you wish. but I must admit that due to the look of its interface it can be mistaken for Meridian.

regards!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I agree with overdose. Cause am a music producer & hear alot of speakers in different studio enviroments. Try studio monitors as suppose to high-end you may just be blown away.

Native_bon,

That instills some more confidence! Can you please write a bit about the system that you have at home? The reason why I ask is out of pure curiosity especially when you have heard so many systems.

Also, I read some where that Sound producers though use Professional Active Speakers for work, at home they use HiFi to relax and enjoy the music.

I might be completely wrong here but would be very keen to read your approach.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
Native_bon said:

Native_bon,

That instills some more confidence! Can you please write a bit about the system that you have at home? The reason why I ask is out of pure curiosity especially when you have heard so many systems.

Also, I read some where that Sound producers though use Professional Active Speakers for work, at home they use HiFi to relax and enjoy the music.

I just might have a suitable vid up my sleeve for you too Wish ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vev4DqeK1x4

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
Native_bon said:

Native_bon,

Ok yes i must say i do have seperate systems to listen to music. But i also listen to music on my studio monitors. I use yahama HS80M monitors for my studio & they sound very good for the money. Cost around £400.00 But you would have to spend say about 2 grand or more to get the performance from amp & speaker combo.

My HIFI setup Is rega planet as transport.(very first player by Rega). DAC: Audiolab M-DAC. Amp Marantz SR6003. Speakers, Sonus Faber Cremona's floor standing speakers. I sol-8 mains conditioner.

Yes i like my HIFI system but it cost almost 12x more than the Active speakers.

One thing i have come to learn, buy the sound of what u like not what u think the other person likes. There are no rules. If u like what u hear get it.

All the best.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Ok yes i must say i do have seperate systems to listen to music. But i also listen to music on my studio monitors. I use yahama HS80M monitors for my studio & they sound very good for the money. Cost around £400.00 But you would have to spend say about 2 grand or more to get the performance from amp & speaker combo.

My HIFI setup Is rega planet as transport.(very first player by Rega). DAC: Audiolab M-DAC. Amp Marantz SR6003. Speakers, Sonus Faber Cremona's floor standing speakers. I sol-8 mains conditioner.

Yes i like my HIFI system but it cost almost 12x more than the Active speakers.

One thing i have come to learn, buy the sound of what u like not what u think the other person likes. There are no rules. If u like what u hear get it.

All the best.

Thanks a lot! It is quite a different way that you have set up. DAC into AV Receiver is a new approach for me and I have heard the Cremonas'. It must be sounding very beautiful!

I do and I will continue to buy equipment based on the way I like the system plays the sound! However there are many approaches and I am keen to know the way others have figured it out so that i can get inspired / imitate to achieve my desired SQ!

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS