Members vs Moderators

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

The only way I found the WHF forum had been resurrected was by some ex-members over at Wam, the measure of the mood was disdain, which I can fully understand. I think very few got emails about the forum going live again, I certainly didn't... maybe it was only a select few ;)

What is apparent on both sites is that there are fewer posters than before. But Hi-Fi has a shrinking fan base so I guess this should be understandable. The big draw this site has is the mag which draws a lot of hi-fi punters into the forum... just need them to hang around a little longer than they currently do :)

Last edited by a moderator:

scene

The only way I found the WHF forum had been resurrected was by some ex-members over at Wam, the measure of the mood was disdain, which I can fully understand. I think very few got emails about the forum going live again, I certainly didn't... maybe it was only a select few ;)
I suspect, like many things in life it wasn't deliberate - just some technical issue/c*ck up, e.g. people with changed emails, problem with the script used to email people, etc.

I think that WHF could and should be doing more to attract back old members - as well as getting new ones. The Forums should be promoted on the front page of the WHF website, top of the page - not just by a link to the forums. Similarly in the magazine - maybe with a QR code (say) to expedite getting to them.

And talking of promoting them, I think something to make forum members feel valued is necessary, like (as plastic penguin mentioned) articles both on the website and in the magazine drawing on forum members' experience/views/systems...

And given the way the forum was wound up, I can understand how a lot of former members think "meh" when hearing the forums are back.

Precisely, thanks Gray. Also, Gel, WHF never said that the forum closure would be temporary! Just because you are now a mod doesn't mean that you have to jump to their defence all the time... or is it in your contract to do so?
I don't think anyone knew that the forum was going to be temporarily or permanently closed at the time as the ownership had just changed hands. The website was moving to a new platform which the forum was not compatible with, so the assumption that the forum would be permanently closed was not without reason.

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't think anyone knew that the forum was going to be temporarily or permanently closed at the time as the ownership had just changed hands. The website was moving to a new platform which the forum was not compatible with, so the assumption that the forum would be permanently closed was not without reason.
I checked back most days to see if it would open up again, as I check the website everyday anyway. I rarely posted on a forum when WHF forum was away because I only really liked the WHF forum. I kept up to date with information on WHF Facebook page too.

D

Deleted member 2457

I started this thread very tongue in cheek, it was never intended as any kind of attack on the forum or any its members, but I'm free to post anything I want to as well. Sure there's bound to be some spats between members along the way, that's life. You have a pop at me don't expect me to roll over so you can tickle my tummy.

As I previously said I am more than happy with the mods that have been selected as they all bring a wealth of experience with them, something this phoenix forum needs in abundance.

I really like this forum but we need more than 25 experienced members, (I do not include myself in this figure and it is strictly a guesstimate), to support any new members arriving requesting advice. As stated previously this forum cannot survive solely with only mods delivering opinions or advice, we need to attract and retain more experienced users as members, without this it will never rise from the ashes. The majority of new members we see just come here to get a question answered... never to be seen again.

I do blame WHF for closing the the forum last year, it was a tragedy, but Linn also did the same with their owners forum. Some, like me, are prepared to give WHF another chance, others are not and continue to remain over at the Wam along with the Linn ex-pats. People have long memories... don't expect them to forget in a hurry... we were treated abysmally.
Well if you have a pop at WHF for something that was completely beyond their control don’t expect me to say nothing either.

D

Deleted member 2457

I started this thread very tongue in cheek, it was never intended as any kind of attack on the forum or any its members, but I'm free to post anything I want to as well. Sure there's bound to be some spats between members along the way, that's life. You have a pop at me don't expect me to roll over so you can tickle my tummy.

As I previously said I am more than happy with the mods that have been selected as they all bring a wealth of experience with them, something this phoenix forum needs in abundance.

I really like this forum but we need more than 25 experienced members, (I do not include myself in this figure and it is strictly a guesstimate), to support any new members arriving requesting advice. As stated previously this forum cannot survive solely with only mods delivering opinions or advice, we need to attract and retain more experienced users as members, without this it will never rise from the ashes. The majority of new members we see just come here to get a question answered... never to be seen again.

I do blame WHF for closing the the forum last year, it was a tragedy, but Linn also did the same with their owners forum. Some, like me, are prepared to give WHF another chance, others are not and continue to remain over at the Wam along with the Linn ex-pats. People have long memories... don't expect them to forget in a hurry... we were treated abysmally.
Let’s get things clear I didn’t have a pop as you call it at you I merely pointed out it was not WHF fault for the forum closing!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts