Melody Gardot

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I should love Melody Gardot - the songs, styling and recording quality are spot-on....BUT I just can't get on with her voice. Sounds like her vocals were recorded at the wrong speed compared to the backing.

I've read so many raves here about her work, I took a punt on an album and... I can't imagine playing it again. By the end of side 2 I just wanted it to end.

Fortunately, himself likes it, so he can play it while i'm out[:D]

A shame, as I was on a real roll of new-purchase excellence and now have come to a halt. [:(]

Should I have persevered? Anyone else find her voice annoying?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I should love Melody Gardot - the songs, styling and recording quality are spot-on....BUT I just can't get on with her voice. Sounds like her vocals were recorded at the wrong speed compared to the backing.

I've read so many raves here about her work, I took a punt on an album and... I can't imagine playing it again. By the end of side 2 I just wanted it to end.

Fortunately, himself likes it, so he can play it while i'm out
emotion-2.gif

A shame, as I was on a real roll of new-purchase excellence and now have come to a halt.
emotion-6.gif

Should I have persevered? Anyone else find her voice annoying?

Which album?

I must admit to being surprised to have the exact reverse reaction - after initial sceptiscism, I simply love her second album!

Just goes to show how diverse we are - healthy really!
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:
Which album?

Worrisome Heart.

Him-indoors says 'it's a grower' and has just played another track to try and convince me. But I just hear wrong-speed voice
emotion-40.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard that one, but give it a few more listens before you write it off. You never know.

I like 'My One And Only...'.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:ESP2009:
Which album?

Worrisome Heart.

Him-indoors says 'it's a grower' and has just played another track to try and convince me. But I just hear wrong-speed voice
emotion-40.gif

You sure it's not a 45 LP...?
emotion-2.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site

Which album?

Worrisome Heart.

emotion-40.gif

Ah, I understand. I think I understand. I prefer My One And Only Thrill as JD mentions. Get onto Spotify and give that second album a listen. I actually quite enjoy Worrisome Heart, having purchased it on the strength of the second album growing on me (once I heard at a sensible volume
emotion-5.gif
).

Of course, I now need to listen to Worrisome Heart again.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Had my first listen to a Melody Gardot album "My One and Only Thrill" after reading your post. She's not my usual listen, but I remember being impressed with her on Jools Holland and she was added to my 'Must listen' list (which thanks to Spotify both shrinks and expands constantly depending on how long I can wrestle the laptop from the kids!
emotion-12.gif
).

My view - yep, quite like it. Enjoyed her melodic, relaxing tones. will add it to my ''Music purchase" list for those chilled out sessions. Perhaps a little more perseverence as you suggested? But perhaps she's just got one of those voices that does'nt do it for you?

Nick

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Alantiggger:Well Clare .. if you mean 'whiney' I get where you are at
emotion-7.gif
It's high time folk got to 'Know' the sound.

"'Whiney'"? On MOAOT she seems anything but! Right, this evening, when the OH is out, I will definitely listen to that first album again.

nads

Which album?

Worrisome Heart.

emotion-40.gif

I know what you mean. More noticeable on some tracks than others though.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Just to throw my 2p worth in... listened to this today on Spotify and I quite liked it... then put Diana Krall on and preferred that much more! Initial listens never do tell the whole story though of course...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts