MEDIA SERVER FOR SONOS

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Depends what you mean by media server. Sonos doesn't need any special software running on the server, it just requires a standard network share to look at, any NAS, PC, Mac or Linux box can present that to it.

scene

Pretty much yes, with caveats. You need to point it a the relevant share in its setup and scan that area and it will find music in the file formats it recognises. To get artwork, you either got to embed it in music file, or place it in the same directory as the music, with exactly the same file name, except for the extension, iirc

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
To get artwork, you either got to embed it in music file, or place it in the same directory as the music, with exactly the same file name, except for the extension, iirc

That's not the case, all my artwork is in a separate directory, as long as the Tag references it properly Sonos will display it.

scene

the_lhc said:
scene said:
To get artwork, you either got to embed it in music file, or place it in the same directory as the music, with exactly the same file name, except for the extension, iirc

That's not the case, all my artwork is in a separate directory, as long as the Tag references it properly Sonos will display it.
Thanks for that correction - yes, of course :$ (sorry, embarrassed smiley has gone ;) )

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I rip as FLAC, but I don't embed the album artwork or have the files reference it.

I simply stick the art in the folder where the album FLAC files are and call it 'folder.jpg', and Sonos just picks it up.

I've had both Lacie and now Netgear NAS and both have been fine for Sonos. A Sonos support guy said they recommended Buffalo but I don't think it makes much difference; just get a decent NAS.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
kinda said:
I rip as FLAC, but I don't embed the album artwork or have the files reference it.
I simply stick the art in the folder where the album FLAC files are and call it 'folder.jpg', and Sonos just picks it up.

Yes but that only works if every album is in a separate folder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts