Matching an AV receiver for B&W 684 speakers

juves

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I've recently made my first step into the AV world.

I just bought a pair of B&W 684 floor standing after some research and several listens. I've also got a new Onkyo 616 because it seems to be a good match.
Now I'm reading tons of negative review about the 616 and it's reliability issues and am considering changing my decision.

My alternatives are:
1)Marantz SR5007 with an addition of £165
2)Yamaha RX-V 773 with an addition of £250
3)Yamaha RX-V A820 with an addition of £300
4)Stay with the Onkyo NR 616 - no addition

I will be going to the shop audio soon and give each a listen before I decide but would like to get some advice in order to help me make up my mind.

Priorities in decreasing order:
1)Best match to speakers.
2)Value for Money
3)Other, non-audio direct-related features (Connectivity, Video, Interface etc..)
4)Unit design and shape.

Cheers,
Juves

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Juves

I have an Onkyo 905 which drives my B&W 685 Theatre and my B&W 610 sub brilliantly. The 905 was the ultimate receiver in the Onkyo range when I bought it. Quite a few people on the site use Onkyos with B&W speakers. Why not also audition a higher specification Onkyo with Yamaha & Marantz options.

Best Wishes

Chris

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
juves said:
Hi All,
I've recently made my first step into the AV world.

I just bought a pair of B&W 684 floor standing after some research and several listens. I've also got a new Onkyo 616 because it seems to be a good match.
Now I'm reading tons of negative review about the 616 and it's reliability issues and am considering changing my decision.

My alternatives are:
1)Marantz SR5007 with an addition of £165
2)Yamaha RX-V 773 with an addition of £250
3)Yamaha RX-V A820 with an addition of £300
4)Stay with the Onkyo NR 616 - no addition

I will be going to the shop audio soon and give each a listen before I decide but would like to get some advice in order to help me make up my mind.

Priorities in decreasing order:
1)Best match to speakers.
2)Value for Money
3)Other, non-audio direct-related features (Connectivity, Video, Interface etc..)
4)Unit design and shape.

Cheers,
Juves

For what its worth I am using a Denon 3312 with my B&W's an is acceptable in stereo with a peechtree external dac for this source. For movies it is excellent with the B&W HTM 62 & 686'S once it is calibrated with the on board room acoustic measurement and then manually checking with a sound meter it really shines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts