Matching amps to speakers Help :)

Martyspins

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi God's of hifi! My first time posting in a forum. I really, really need some constructive help please people. I'm starting off into vinyl and I want to get a late 70's, early 80's (to mid) set up. Turntable, Amp & some bookshelf speakers. My question is just how is the best way to match speakers to an amp. Please don't baffle me with science! I just want to know how to simply do it. :) For example I'm looking at a Pioneer amp SA508 at the moment which is 25W + 25W (Continuous Power Output) 8 Ohms, 20-20,000Hz.

Please someone help me :)

Welcome Marty.

At its simplest, make sure the speaker power handling is greater than your amplifier's maximum output. Then check that the impedance in Ohms, isn't lower than the amp output.

So, in your example, don't use 10watt, 4 ohm speakers (too weedy and too low impedance). Read up more on speaker sensitivity (how loud they play for a given input) if volume is important, say if you are a heavy metal fan.

That is the electrical match sorted. Then the interesting bit is matching the sound, which Is almost impossible when buying secondhand.

I'm sure you'll be able to google lots of relevant articles. Good luck!

Martyspins

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi Steve, Thanks for asking. I'm hoping to get a TT, amp and speakers for around the £250 mark. Also still not sure what to put it on. I'm scouring ebay for a unit that is suitable. Any suggestions for that as well?

Thanks in advance :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts