Match Speaker & Audio Cables to Equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there

I am new to this and would like some help in choosing speaker and audio cables that will best match my systems performance for sound quality. My equipment is as follows:

For Stereo: Pair of Paradigm Studio 100s V5; Arcam CD36; Arcam C31 and Arcam P1s.

For Home Theatre: Paradigm Studio 100s; CC-690 & Studio 20s; Denon 4310 AVR.

Thanks in advance!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
My personal opinion is that there arnt massive differences between cables (Unless theyre very poorly constructed)

Purity of conductor is more important than shielding, and shielding isnt needed at all for speaker wires. Its also best to use the same material for both interconnect and speaker cable so that frequency responses are the same

Id recommend Van Damme UP LC-OFC for both IC and speaker cables (look on ebay for terminated ICs)

For purity you cant beat it unless your willing to pay over 200 quid for each cable from the 'known brand' manufacturers (Probably a lot more than that)

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your feedback. I don't know of Van Damme Cables but will look into it.

I have been told by a few retailers to buy Audioquest Colorado or the Chord Company's Signature Cable as they would be a good match for the Paradigms and Arcams; however both are really expensive cable and I think that would be overkill.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
dermie:

Thank you for your feedback. I don't know of Van Damme Cables but will look into it.

I have been told by a few retailers to buy Audioquest Colorado or the Chord Company's Signature Cable as they would be a good match for the Paradigms and Arcams; however both are really expensive cable and I think that would be overkill.

Thanks.

Uh-oh! Here we go again - take cover!
emotion-60.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
dermie:

Thanks.

Both are very good cables. But both are pretty expensive as you well know

My suggestion would be to use the Van Dammes for now. After a few months if you feel you need to satisfy your curiosity, see if you can find a dealer to LEND you the cables. Then at least you can compare them

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
But seriously, two things:

1) Browse through the various threads regarding cables on the forum pages and you will see some passionate debate on the subject.

2) There are many out there who will tell you that the cables you mention are most certainly not overkill when the value of your various boxes is considered. However, there is equally strong argument that you can buy excellent cables for much, much less. The Alien chap is one of them and he is pretty experienced with hi-fi, so his opinion is not to be discounted. I've just purchased some of the cable he recommends, but have not yet had chance to try it.

For £20 for over 7m of the stuff (unterminated) I reckon it always well worth a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts