Martin Logan Motion 15 Bookshelf speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I heard the Adam 7x

Guitar center here has them

Of course the demo room wasn't nearly as good as where I hear the Martin Logan's but the Adams aren't really close to the ML sound reproduction.

They are good but not special

No goosebumps

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
tone said:
I heard the Adam 7x

Guitar center here has them

Of course the demo room wasn't nearly as good as where I hear the Martin Logan's but the Adams aren't really close to the ML sound reproduction.

They are good but not special

No goosebumps

Be nice to hear them together in similar surroundings. The UK is like the US in that respect, active studio monitor type speakers have completely different supply chains so it is always very difficult to hear them, and 'conventional' hi-fi speakers side by side.

I worked in the music business for many years before becoming a hi-fi dealer (now retired) and these days I tend to hang out more with pro dealers rather than hi-fi people and I do get to try stuff at home.

For the hi-fi user, the big difference when trying something like the A7x is the lack of "warmth and body". Hi-fi speakers at this sort of level have a fairly characteristic sound that is produced by the cabinets and by bass units that are not quite as well controlled as they could be.

The 'art' of hi-fi speaker design at this level is to 'manage' these issues and use them to produce the kind of sound that sells in the hi-fi market, the warmth I mentioned is generally a prized characteristic, even in the better models and the better studio speakers do not really have this.

The studio speakers tend to sound more 'controlled', the characteristics of hi-fi speakers that we use to judge subjective 'volume' are often largely absent, leading to the studio speakers being used at higher SPLs than is normal for the hi-fi equivilents, which tends to result in some listeners describing them as 'forward'.

Like you I rely on my 'emotional response' as a measure of just how good speakers are but in more recent years I have found that to lead me a little astray, ie I was reacting to the 'sound' of the system rather than the 'quality' of the music.

Just putting my own experiences forward here, not trying to convince you of anything, I am sure you will find your own way to what you want. You seem very 'together' about this.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Listened to this at the shop where i got my amp. They had them hooked up to a Creek Evo A50 which i ended up getting and they sounded great. Really warm and inviting setup. Those ribbon tweeters sound really really nice.

If i was shopping for bookshelves i'd definately give these a go.

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Be nice to hear them together in similar surroundings. The UK is like the US in that respect, active studio monitor type speakers have completely different supply chains so it is always very difficult to hear them, and 'conventional' hi-fi speakers side by side.

I worked in the music business for many years before becoming a hi-fi dealer (now retired) and these days I tend to hang out more with pro dealers rather than hi-fi people and I do get to try stuff at home.

For the hi-fi user, the big difference when trying something like the A7x is the lack of "warmth and body". Hi-fi speakers at this sort of level have a fairly characteristic sound that is produced by the cabinets and by bass units that are not quite as well controlled as they could be.

The 'art' of hi-fi speaker design at this level is to 'manage' these issues and use them to produce the kind of sound that sells in the hi-fi market, the warmth I mentioned is generally a prized characteristic, even in the better models and the better studio speakers do not really have this.

The studio speakers tend to sound more 'controlled', the characteristics of hi-fi speakers that we use to judge subjective 'volume' are often largely absent, leading to the studio speakers being used at higher SPLs than is normal for the hi-fi equivilents, which tends to result in some listeners describing them as 'forward'.

Like you I rely on my 'emotional response' as a measure of just how good speakers are but in more recent years I have found that to lead me a little astray, ie I was reacting to the 'sound' of the system rather than the 'quality' of the music.

Just putting my own experiences forward here, not trying to convince you of anything, I am sure you will find your own way to what you want. You seem very 'together' about this.

Yeah I would love to hear these in the same context but that is nearly impossible as you say as well.

Great speakers but different even though they have the same type of tweeter.

Fugly as well. lol but you know that does play some role as well.

Well as I said I am a newbie, so I wont know the technologies as well and what cables to use etc...

But the ears are there and years of listening to guitar and playing instruments sharpens your ears more IMHO than just listening to music.

Its funny that as with guitar amp listening and playing after all the sound adjectives you learn that the ONLY thing you can rely on is your emotional response.

Does the guitar amp make you not want to put the guitar down? is it addictive?

Same for HiFi.... does it inspire you? make you want to listen to all your music and music you normally dont listen to? is it addictive? exciting?

I also learned never ( or most of the time) to buy something audio without hearing it first.

Art , sound etc.. are so subjective.

So there might be other choices out there that i would like more, but if I do not hear them first I cannot go off someone elses listening experience.

The Martin Logans are pretty damn exciting for sure.

IMHO always

cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
tone said:
davedotco said:

Yeah I would love to hear these in the same context but that is nearly impossible as you say as well.

Great speakers but different even though they have the same type of tweeter.

Fugly as well. lol but you know that does play some role as well.

Well as I said I am a newbie, so I wont know the technologies as well and what cables to use etc...

But the ears are there and years of listening to guitar and playing instruments sharpens your ears more IMHO than just listening to music.

Its funny that as with guitar amp listening and playing after all the sound adjectives you learn that the ONLY thing you can rely on is your emotional response.

Does the guitar amp make you not want to put the guitar down? is it addictive?

Same for HiFi.... does it inspire you? make you want to listen to all your music and music you normally dont listen to? is it addictive? exciting?

I also learned never ( or most of the time) to buy something audio without hearing it first.

Art , sound etc.. are so subjective.

So there might be other choices out there that i would like more, but if I do not hear them first I cannot go off someone elses listening experience.

The Martin Logans are pretty damn exciting for sure.

IMHO always

cheers

The logans are pretty good value in their home market, I have a small pair of ribbon hybrids in my system in Spain so I know how beguiling they can be. Different technology though and in my system driven by valves, being a bit stuck in London I really miss them.

I have not heart the Motions in a 'proper' setup so can not really comment on the sound but I have owned (and sold many) a pair of MLs and they are a quality product.

Buying a pair will focus your thoughts, whether you go for the Arcam or not.

Good luck......... :cheers:

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What I am thinking now is that they are offering them here with a $500 Martin Logan subwoofer which leads me to believe they are trying to get rid of them possibly because Martin Logan is coming out with a new line

Which compels me to wait for their price to radically go down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts