Question Market Value: Speakers with "stuff" that can expire

AJM1981

Disclaimer: This topic is not about the quality of a certain speaker in its hayday or which one beats which. It is more or less about sustainability of a type of speaker.

Recently I read a couple of reviews on what's new on the market. The Q-Accoustics Concept 300 seemed an interesting one.

One thing however that caught my attention was that it has layers of gel to reduce cabinet vibration. Which is a good thing.

However there is something with fluids, and that is the fact it expires one day affecting the measurable and perhaps witnessable properties of the speakers compared to how they once were.

This might also affect the market value as some things are probably quite easy to refurbish, while others can be a hell to go through affecting the market price negatively.

For example: It seems B&W used / uses a type of oil with iron giving it magnetic properties to aid their tweeter systems.

I haven't witnessed it yet but this solution seems to really expire one day.

In this particular case there are easy solutions being presented online but according to a technician who tried it out those solutions are only working on paper. In a demonstration video we can witness how he does it professionally. In which he is consuming time like there is no tomorrow with a huge amount of steps. There is a stage in which two components need to be seperated with the risk of bricking the tweeter. Also clearing out old fluid is almost an impossibility, certainly for the average joe.

Concluding that certain speakers have a lifespan I wonder if there are any examples of speakers that seem a nice or great bargain second hand at one day now or in the future, but can be a trap.

Last edited:
I gather some folks can remove and replace ferrofluid, though after 21 years the only speakers I’ve ever knowingly owned that used it were still fine.

Good point about lossy gels, however. If you’ve similar experience to me, we have several products around the home with what were originally nice grippy, rubberised remote controls that are now sticky and horrible. The otherwise excellent Logitech Squeezebox Touch was one - but it’s now sold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts