Marillion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Steve Rothery is just one of the best guitarists around and has never been given the exposure or credit he deserves. I've loved Marillions music from album 1 right through their career. The Fish stuff is great, as is the Steve Hogarth material (just a different style). A couple of blips with some Steve Hogarth era cds - though some of their best moments have also come from him.

Personal favourite albums (in no particular order) though some of my less favourite whole albums also include some outstanding individual tracks :-

Clutching At Straws
Afraid Of Sunlight
Marbles

Don't think i'll ever get too much of Marillion, and hopefully off to Holland next March for the Marillion weekender.

A

Anonymous

fr0g:fr0g:Ok. having just listened to Afraid of Sunlight (and quite enjoying it), I am giving them another chance ;).
Just ordered the 2 CD version of Marbles, and pre-ordered the Happiness is the Road discs (although I went for the cheapskate standard CDs for a £10 each rather than the fancy box (which wont fit in my case) for £30 ;)
Apologies for quoting myself as its a bit naff... however...
Got my Marbles (2CD) yesterday, and have finally managed to give it a proper listen...
What a great (double) album!

Some excellent, excellent stuff here. Really superb, and undervalued album.

...Angelina just came on... what a great song...! Forget the 3 minute nonsense, this is just superb, even if the guitar reminds me a little of Chris Isaak!

It is a missed masterpiece - apart from us in the know! Pleased you like it.

scorps

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

being a huge fish era marillion fan (went to see them at miton keynes in 86 i think ) thought i would just mention an album that nobody has mentioned yet and that is bsides themselves. has the b side grendel on it which is the track that got me into them also has excellent track called tuxedos n few other goodies on it back in ewarly days they brought out some excellent b sides used to own all singles on 12" picture disc but got lost in a house move i enjoyed the b sides as much as the a sides some are very witty

as for fish solo stuff thought the 1st album internal exile was the marillion album they never made bit like roger waters pros and cons of hitchhiking which sounds like pink floyd although got eric clapton playing some nice guitar check it out if u havent already done so.

A

Anonymous

scorps:
hi

being a huge fish era marillion fan (went to see them at miton keynes in 86 i think ) thought i would just mention an album that nobody has mentioned yet and that is bsides themselves. has the b side grendel on it which is the track that got me into them also has excellent track called tuxedos n few other goodies on it back in ewarly days they brought out some excellent b sides used to own all singles on 12" picture disc but got lost in a house move i enjoyed the b sides as much as the a sides some are very witty

as for fish solo stuff thought the 1st album internal exile was the marillion album they never made bit like roger waters pros and cons of hitchhiking which sounds like pink floyd although got eric clapton playing some nice guitar check it out if u havent already done so.

Showing your age mate - saw them in Newcastle in 1986 myself! Grendel is good but sounds like a poor Genesis at times......... Best B side for me was 'Three Boats Down from the Candy', Fish sings it with a hint of pure carnal lust in his voice.

Just being pedantic but 'Exile' was the 2nd solo release with 'Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors the First'. Never really got into solo Fish - although he is excellent live.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

scorps:stand corrected cheers m8 still an excellent album imo but if we all liked same tunes would b boring old world

Exactly scorps, that shows how bands/acts have the variety to please people with different songs/releases etc.

Apparently '13th Star' is good but not yet heard anything off it...

BTW Rush is one of my favourites along with Floyd/Waters - your top 10 has some crackers.

scorps

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
yea rush excellent one of best drummers in world imo seen them a few times along with floyd/waters seen floyd twice last time being with my bruth at earls court what a gig.

on the subject of drummers a mate from school drummed on latest mission album god is a bullet if u like your drumming should check it out used to watch him do 20 minute drum solos when we were teenagers and he was in a band

after bit of thinking overnight i realised i missed the the mind bomb out along with leftfield leftism dont think id like to just pick 10 albums out though think i would cheap and burn all mi fav tracks onto disc hehe

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:

Apparently '13th Star' is good but not yet heard anything off it...

Just my opinion but 13th Star is easily the best album Fish has put together since Vigil. Lots of personal stuff on there, as he broke up with his fiance during the writing of it, and it's at times like this i feel Fish pulls out his best performances. He gave the first full play of the complete album, to family and friends, on the day he was due to get married.

A

Anonymous

Awww *wipes tear. Isn't he back with her - Heather from Forever Autumn wasn't it?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Awww *wipes tear. Isn't he back with her - Heather from Forever Autumn wasn't it?

Not that i'm aware of. Fish is with someone else, and back in March, announced in his website emails that his ex, Heather, was 3 months pregnant by someone else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts