Marantz SA8003 and PM8003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Was just wondering if anyone had had any experience yet with these new products from Marantz (the cd player & amp)? I am thinking of getting these as part of a new hifi system to replace a mid range micro system!

Also I was curious as to what may be the best way of connecting this system together (cables wise) and wondered if the new award winning Chord Speaker cable would be up to the job and also what would be needed to connect the cd player and possibly a tuner (if someone could recommend an appropriate one) to the amplifier?

Is WHFSAV planning a review on these products anytime soon?

Regards,

Mark

T

the record spot

The SA8003 is the replacement to the SA7001-KI Signature player. The corresponding lower priced variant of that player is the SA7003 (so Marantz appear to have dispensed with their long standing "KI" suffix to denote the higher quality player.

The SA8003 does however bear the Ken Ishiwata touch, it just doesn't indicate it in the player branding. Be interesting to hear how it compares. The SA7001 KI is a fine machine, lean and taut in the bass however, but with a very articulate midrange and nice treble. I'll be interested to see if they opt to continue with that sound or if they go for something totally different.

If it's anything like my combo, then it might well be quite an open and revealing (or bright) sound. Might need some careful speaker matching there (and maybe avoid Rega speakers going by what igglebert mentioned in another post earlier).

T

the record spot

Just out of interest Clare (or anyone else from the team there) - is there any indication from Marantz why they didn't send out a review sample of the SA7001 (or KI) to WHF? They sent out a pile of other gear in their 2-channel range. Just wondered.....partly out of self-interest given I own the KI version of this player!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Interesting to know. Will be good to see the reviews in the next if issue if they are there! Would speakers such as the B&W 684 model be an appropriate pairing. I only ask as they have simple, contemporary styling and would be physically about the right size for my room!

Thanks,

Mark

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if there was definitely going to be a review of the Marantz SA8003 and PM8003 in the next issue?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks but will probably wait for WHFSAV as have always found them to be accurate reviews that correspond with my tastes.

Regards

T

the record spot

Me too, but wouldn't you be interested to know out of curiosity's sake? Can never have too much information on this kind of thing IMO irrespective of the reviewer's opinion!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Me too, but wouldn't you be interested to know out of curiosity's sake? Can never have too much information on this kind of thing IMO irrespective of the reviewer's opinion!

Hey guys, it's ok to admit that you perhaps occasionally read other publications, honestly. Don't think anyone here will hold that against you. C'mon, pluck up your courage, be brave and say you do ...
emotion-1.gif

... and is the reviewers opinion not the reason you want the information the record spot?

Regards

T

the record spot

drummerman:
the record spot:Me too, but wouldn't you be interested to know out of curiosity's sake? Can never have too much information on this kind of thing IMO irrespective of the reviewer's opinion!

Hey guys, it's ok to admit that you perhaps occasionally read other publications, honestly. Don't think anyone here will hold that against you. C'mon, pluck up your courage, be brave and say you do ...
emotion-1.gif

... and is the reviewers opinion not the reason you want the information the record spot?

Regards

I've openly stated many times I subscribe to Hi Fi World, and if I was pushed to have only one title a month, it'd be that one.

In the context of the earlier post I replied to, the poster mentioned he rated and relied on WHFS&V reviews, my point is that this doesn't make the other review redundant when you consider information on build quality, what it might partner well with, as opposed to "this is good" or "this is rubbish". Extreme I admit, but then again, one mag rated a £600 Saxon player three or four years back and WHF slated it with one star. Plus other magazines reviews tend to be a little more expansive than WHF's, so that's another consideration for me.

Speaking generally, yes I am interested in the reviewer's opinion, but it's not the only thing I take from a piece. It certainly won't be the underpinning factor in my decision to buy.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

To be honest I haven't been able to properly enjoy this player since I bought it a couple of months ago. The everpresent noise from the mechanism is so annoying it ruins the experience at low volumes completely. And you can forget about classical music. Marantz claims it functions within the specified parameters though and the store wont even take the device back. The player sits 14 ft. from the listening position by the way. Worst buy I ever made.

Grtz

A

Anonymous

I would say that you have a faulty cd player. As I have not experienced such a problem and I have the unit positioned only a few feet from my listening chair. Can I ask you to clarify what you mean by "And you can forget about classical music"?

Have the WHFSAV team seen this player yet?

A

Anonymous

I've been using the PM8003/SA8003 for 2 months. When I'm really close to the SA8003 (ear next to the unit), I can hear the transport noise (it's louder than my previous CD6002), but when I'm at my listening position, approximately 5 feet away, the transport noise can't be heard when i paused the SA8003 or mute the amp.

A

Anonymous

I concur. If you get very close to the unit you can hear that slightly, but in my opinion it is negligable.

A

Anonymous

I've found on previous players that some disks make "spinning noise" that can drive you mad.

matthewpiano

The mechs used on the SACD players are generally slightly noisier. I've noticed on Sony and Denon machines - equivalents to the Marantz 8003.

The noisiest player I've ever had, though, was an Arcam CD73T. Ruined piano music.

Had a Harman-Kardon HD970 which was very very quiet but sounded rubbish. I think Yamaha seem to have got it right on their new players.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah,my CD7300 would be usless for subtle piano music at low levels for that reason. I have a sony XB720 with a very smooth and qiuet tranport but sounds bland compared to the Marantz,Bad/noisy transports dont seem to have an effect on whats coming through the speakers but can ruin subtle music no matter how good the sound qaulity is....it should not happen .

A

Anonymous

I thought my SA8003 was faulty because of the noise and returned the unit. Marantz checked it and did find something wrong with the mechanism plateau and fixed it. However the problem was not solved, the noise had changed a little, but was just as loud. I returned the player once more to be repaired/replaced. Marantz say they checked it and there's nothing wrong with the unit. It performed within its specified parameters and the noise is normal. I disagreed and had it checked again to no avail.

With subtle music the SA8003 is a nightmare. I don't have a closed rack with a door and I'm not going to buy one for this substandard piece of kit. This is by far the loudest optical player I've ever owned. But to make some use of it I connected it to my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 headpnone amp. The noise at least wont penetrate my HD650.

The el cheapo CD5003 is incredibly silent by the way even with your ear half an inch from the drawer. But that's a Sanyo CD mechanism, not a Pioneer DVD one.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I believe we have the Marantz pairing in our next issue, out 11th Dec, but i'll need to double-check Monday...

Hi Clare,

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

But is the SA8003 & PM8003 going to be reviewed soon?

How will MA RS6 & B&W 684 match with them?

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I can't see them on the forthcoming contents list, though I know Simon Lucas - our First Tests editor - has requested them from Marantz.

Thanks Clare. Hope to see a review soon.
emotion-2.gif

Anyone else had any experience with the SA/PM8003 with MA RS6?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts