Marantz SA-KI Pearl Lite CD or Beresford Bushmaster DAC for CD6003?

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I run a Sonos ZP90 and CD6003 connected to my Roksan K2 integrated and power.

I was considering upgrading my CD player to a SA KI and using the inbuilt DAC for the ZP90?

Or would I be better off just using the CD6003 as a transport and connecting both to a Beresford Bushmaster DAC?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I guess the SA-KI does allow for a digital input? If so I think its a no brainer! I doubt the DAC chip in the Bushmaster will be better than the Marantz and in terms of SQ would be superior!

Will you mainly use digital files or CDs?

I have all my music on my MacBook Pro which is great for accesibilty but I still use my Apollo R CDP when I'm on the sofa listening to music - The streaming is for when I am doing other things like cooking etc.

Only you can decide if you want to invest in another CDP.

Aslo the CD6003 is a fine CDP

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I mainly use a GyroDec for proper listening

The CD and Sonos I would say is used as you do, background.

I think you may be underestimating the Beresford DAC but maybe ill email then and get some chip specs.

Again thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
h4rdy said:
I think you may be underestimating the Beresford DAC. but maybe ill email then and get some chip specs

Well you did ask for an opinion regarding which is best: Marantz SA-KI or the Bushmaster, and in SteveBrocks opinion it's the SA-KI. No point asking if you don't want an answer you don't like! And to be honest, no spec-sheet will tell you what it sounds like either. Is there a way you could hear both then decide? That would probably be best. :)

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You took my comment in completely the wrong way.

It wasn't an answer I didn't like in fact it made me not buy the bushmaster.

My comment wasn't even the slightest bit aggressive or negative.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am afraid the only proper answer to this is to try to audition hoth. I own the SA KI Pearl Lite and can strongly recommend it, but there are some very good DACs out there, including I am sure the one you mention, though I haven't heard it myself, and I imagine the transport in your CDP would do it justice. Aside from sound quality, the SACD playback of the Pearl Lite was an important factor for me, especially as there is so much new classical mucis still appearing on SACD, and if you were interested in exploring SACD I would say there is no contest. If not though, an external DAC might be a better option.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I still haven't made my mind up yet!

I'm leaning towards the SA KI though due to SACD.

Who knows what I'll end up with.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have many sacds now?

Another option would be a Blu-Ray player, that will play sacds, cds and blu-rays of course. With Blu Ray Audio disc coming out I'm not sure about the SACD future. Some of the Cambridge and Oppos are very good and tuned for audio and have multi channel as well.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Stanley's "home hifi" website has the bushmaster listed as out of stock but says bushmaster mk2 is due out in september. I have had the mk1 for over a year now and have been pleased with the sound. If you do try it please note the mk1 version has 2xoptical, 2xcoaxial but no usb. This isn't a problem for me, but might be for you.

TRENDING THREADS