Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So, last weekend, I went to audition a limited-edition (only 500 in the world) Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player. I brought along my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player and my Cyrus PSX-R out-board power supply.

I have been extremely happy with the sonic performance of my Cyrus'. However, I want to be able to play-back SACD's. Hence, I have been considering selling or trading-in my Cyrus gear for a new SACD/CD Player.

I did an A-to-B comparison, and to be honest, prior to this comparison, I expected my Cyrus' to have the measure of the Marantz SA-KI Pearl. I thought to myself that if I won't lose any performance for RedBook CD play-back by going to the Marantz, and if I can get a good change-over figure, I would do it, so that I can enjoy SACD play-back.

The hi-fi dealer I went to was pretty good. I had never purchased anything from this dealer before (I am from Perth, Western Australia) but I had visited the shop several times over the last handful of years.

He suggested that since I am auditioning a CD Player, it is better listening to them through headphones. In order to be fair, the CD Players (my Cyrus and the Marantz SA-KI Pearl) were going to be plugged into a Musical Fidelity headphone amp. He said that this would mean that I won't have to try to imagine how it would sound on my system at home, with different acoustics, speakers, amplifier, etc. This was a great suggestion as I would remove all those variables.

I was very impressed with the Marantz SA-KI Pearl. The first thing I noticed going from the Cyrus to the Marantz was that the Cyrus seemed to separate the sounds whereas the Marantz seemed to allow everything to flow musically but you could still hear what the individual musical strands were and where they were coming from. The Marantz had much more bottom end presence and a sweeter treble.

Well, cut the long story short, I traded-in my Cyrus' and purchased and took home the SA-KI Pearl, and am an extremely happy customer.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

were you comparing CD with SACD (or CD with CD)? SACD should be significantly better.

A

Anonymous

Thanks unleash_me.

Kevin1, I did my A-to-B comparison with RedBook standard CD's, to be fair. The Cyrus does not play SACD's, hence my comparisons were always between normal CD's.

Dan.

T

the record spot

Kevin1:
were you comparing CD with SACD (or CD with CD)? SACD should be significantly better.

No guarantee of anything Kevin - it all depends on how well the resulting disc is produced/mastered. If it's been done well, then yes, it can be and if it's not, well, rubbish sounds like rubbish, hi-res or not!

A

Anonymous

I suppose that it is one of those things. It is always dependent on the quality of the recording and mix.

If the recording is poor, even if it is in SACD format, it won't sound good.

However, if it is a good recording on a dual format disc with one layer being normal RedBook CD and the other layer being SACD, as long as the person's set-up and components are good enough, the SACD layer should sound noticeably better and smoother.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Well done on a fine choice. I have the Pearl SACD and Amp, which work beautifually together. Musicality is what it is all about!!! I met Ken Ishiwata at the Bristol Hi-Fi show in UK last weekend, a more humble overlord of music equipment production you could not wish to meet.

I love the warmth and richness of the Pearls, the sound embraces you instead of throwing cold water in your face. If you have not got it, check out Jeff Buckley's remastered version of "Grace," it sounds extraordinary through the Pearls.

There were actually 2500 units of both Pearl units manufactured for commercial sale.

Cheers,
Sonic D

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Audiocraft or Douglas Hi Fi ? Cause if they have a KI Pearl intergrated amp im going to have to pop in. I haven't heard the Cyrus 8se but Marantz' higher end CD players are generally well regarded so I expected big things from the KI Pearls and im chuffed to hear someone confirm it. What hifi haven't reviewed either amp or CD player yet have they ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sonic Dreamer.

I am extremely happy with my Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Hi Campaign,

I purchased my Marantz SA-KI Pearl from Simply Hi Fi. As of last Saturday, they only had the SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player, which I purchased and took home. They had a PM-KI Pearl in the box unopened but sold it a few days before I purchased the SACD/CD Player so I don't think they have got any left.

I don't think that Douglas Hi Fi has any Pearl units; I rang them the week before last and they said that they can order them in but they do not have any in stock.

Dan.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Just read another mag review of them (amp and cd player) gave them 5 stars and said they worked extremely well together. Summary: ..... delivers the sonic goods like few others at or near the price.

Cheers,

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS