Marantz PM6300 cut-out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys... I just bought a PM6003 and having probs with it cutting out. Using A and B amp terminals biwired to my 7 year old MA RS6 Silver floor standers, I seem to get emergency cut-out from the amp at any kind of decent volume... Is impedance a prob? I'm using XT Silver Anniversary Biwire cable so difficult to do a 2 into 4!

Would be very grateful for any guidance! I can get it to run sometimes and it sounds great!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Make sure the speakers are wired up correctly, double check everything. My amp cut's out automatically if the speakers are wired incorrectly.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that - I did wire them up wrong at first and the right channel didn't work, so I swapped the cables round - both channels work fine now (until the amp cuts out!!)...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 6003 just isn't man enough to do what you want it to do with your RX6's. You could try the Yamaha AS500, which I think will five you a marginal improvement, but I think you'll be looking more at their PM7004, or Audiolab's 8200A to be able to start driving those Rx6's properly.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
krisgib said:
Hi guys... I just bought a PM6003 and having probs with it cutting out. Using A and B amp terminals biwired to my 7 year old MA RS6 Silver floor standers, I seem to get emergency cut-out from the amp at any kind of decent volume... Is impedance a prob?

It does state in the manual that using a speaker with an impedance less than 8 ohm's will result in the amp shutting down. But, it also say's that if using only one pair of speakers from terminal A the speaker impedance can be of 4 ohm or above. Hmm.

krisgib said:
I'm using XT Silver Anniversary Biwire cable so difficult to do a 2 into 4!

I would have a single run of speaker cable from terminal A to the MA's and have the jumper plates attached, don't bi-wire.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Double post, 2 minutes apart!
smiley-undecided.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The 6003 just isn't man enough to do what you want it to do with your RX6's. You could try the Yamaha AS500, which I think will five you a marginal improvement, but I think you'll be looking more at their PM7004, or Audiolab's 8200A to be able to start driving those Rx6's properly.

I'm a bit surprised at this one - they used to work fine with my Rotel RA-02, wired A+B like I have with the Marantz...

I'm not going to sell a brand new amp and buy another though, especially living in Gibraltar, which makes getting the gear here a nightmare - is my only solution to get some 4 into 2 cable and use just the A terminals then?

A

Anonymous

Somehow, going monowired and using the jumpers seems like a retrograde step...

:-/

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does it work OK if you only run one cable to the speakers with the jumpers in place ?

I ask because it should make no difference. If you remove the jumpers from the speakers, run two cables to the amplifier then select A and B speakers on the amplifier you have effectively just moved the jumpers from the speakers into the amplifier. The A & B outputs on the amplifier are run in parallel that is why it says both loads cannot be lower than 8 Ohms when using both terminals (8 + 8 in parallel = 4 ohm load).

A

Anonymous

Hmmm so to make the amp cut out, my speakers would have to be running less than 4 ohms??

I just checked on specs... I'm finding it difficult to go back to exactly the RS model I have, but the more recent one will I imagine be very similar specs, and it specifies 6 ohm impedance, max power handling 120W RMS and recommended amp power 40-120W RMS.

The Marantz puts out 45W RMS into 8 ohms, 60W into 4 ohms. My Rotel RA-02 was slightly less power than that and it worked fine!

This looks like a reasonable match to me - am I missing something?

If it is, why am I getting cut-out? Is there anything that would reduce the impedance of a speaker? Could it be a burning in problem because the amp is brand-new?

I haven't yet tried monowiring from the amp, but will do!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
krisgib said:
Hmmm so to make the amp cut out, my speakers would have to be running less than 4 ohms??
Possibly yes

krisgib said:
I just checked on specs... I'm finding it difficult to go back to exactly the RS model I have, but the more recent one will I imagine be very similar specs, and it specifies 6 ohm impedance, max power handling 120W RMS and recommended amp power 40-120W RMS. The Marantz puts out 45W RMS into 8 ohms, 60W into 4 ohms. My Rotel RA-02 was slightly less power than that and it worked fine! This looks like a reasonable match to me - am I missing something?
No it should be fine, the rated impedance for speakers is a nominal value and it varies with frequency. The Rotel RA-02 doesn't have a protection circuit it just has fuses on the speaker outputs.

krisgib said:
If it is, why am I getting cut-out? Is there anything that would reduce the impedance of a speaker?
Yes if you have overdriven them you can damage the drivers which can affect the impedance. This is especially true with an 'underrated' amplifier you clip the amplifier, clipping damages tweeters very quickly.

krisgib said:
Could it be a burning in problem because the amp is brand-new?
No

krisgib said:
I haven't yet tried mono wiring from the amp, but will do!
this info would be useful

A

Anonymous

Ok so I have now wired with just one half of the biwire cable from the A speaker terminals to one of the two sets of posts on the speakers, put the jumpers on the speakers and set the amp to play just through the A speakers... And it seems to be working fine. My ear is telling me it doesn't sound quite as detailed but that might just be me... I didn't get to hear much at any volume as it was before... No cut-outs now at least!

Have to admit I'm still puzzled though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts