Marantz PM6005 or Sony STR-DN1050

medicine_man

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Folks, I need a new AMP to stream music from my Synology NAS drive. The SONY STR-DN1050 looks like it has the right features but it is an AV amp - can it be used as a reasonable stereo amp with only 2 speakers? The current best buy @£300 is the Marantz PM6005 but I cant see how I could connect via my network and so doesn't look compatible with NAS drives. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

medicine_man

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I have added my current system to my signature. I intend to buy an amp and speakers together and looking at about £600. At the moment I cant play my SACD's as the Sony Blu Ray only has only got HDMI or coax/ digital outputs. Ideally I would like to rip the SACDs to the NAS but it doesn't look that easy. The Rocki enables me to stream to the old ROTEL amp from Spotify and my android phone using BubbleUPnP but can be a bit unreliable. This is why I think an amp with a built in DAC would be perfect.

I only have a small room 15ft X 8ft in a flat but would hope to move to a bigger place in the near future.

PS Music varies from Heavy Rock, Indie, to classical

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
You could buy something like the SMSL X3 network streamer/dac for £100. Then keep your rotel amp which is still a good amp. Spend the £500 left on some great speakers.

medicine_man

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this - I haven't come across the SMSL before and it does have a coaxial input I could use with the Sony BluRAy. The Rotel RA840 is about 25 years old and so I thought it would need upgrading. I'll do some research on the SMSL,

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Well looking at the figures its comparable to the amps you've mentioned. What HFI would have you believe that products get better and better with ever incarnation, i have my doubts. Your speakers are the weakest link. If you want floorstanders again Tannoy dc6t are surely worth a listen. Won What hifi floorstanders £700- £1500 in 2011. Richersounds have them for sale for £250! they are £800 speakers. That would leave you cash to replace your amp if you did decide to upgrade.

medicine_man

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I need to get down to RicherSounds for a listen to the Tannoys! I am not tied to floor standers - the Eltacs were all I could afford at the time. I have listened to q acoustics - various models and these seemed impressive for the price. The amp looks like a bargain too!

TRENDING THREADS