Marantz PM6005 and B&W 685 S2 Pairing Final Questions

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Forum,

First time post, avid reader for the past three months, and this is my first Hi-Fi purchase.

After much online research and listening of equipment I have settled on the Marantz PM6005 and B&W 685 S2 combo. However, I have some apprehension on the purchase due to my lack of Hi-Fi knowledge.

My questions are:

1. Is my paring a sound technical pairing?

(I’m pretty sure I am following the correct ohms guidelines on the speakers and amplifier. However, I have no clue on all the other technical information such as distortion, frequency response, SNR, Sensitivity, if my applifier is underpowered for these speakers, and what not...)

2. Is it recommended to bi-wire my combo or should I do a normal wiring setup?

Thanks, any guidance is greatly appreciated. These forums have been a wealth of knowledge, laughs, and practice in patience.

Respectfully,

Rookie Hi-Fi in Thailand

matthewpiano

Hello.

The Marantz and B&W should work well together and if you enjoyed them when you listened to them, then that is the most important thing.

You don't mention what other combinations you have auditioned. It would be interesting to know a bit more about your selection process. It would also be helpful to know what music you enjoy listening to.

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Matt. I take it from your response, technically my combo works.

As for my selection process, I grabbed as much info online from reviews, forums, and articles. Then after making a budget of $1,000 USD I hit the pavement looking for what was available here in Bangkok.

After my budget, my selection needed an Optical In for my Apple TV and a DAC for digital music.

Now, the speakers need to be able to play a WIDE range of music from Crooner Style (Frank Sinatra), Big Brass Bands from the 50's, Some Delta Blues (Muddy Waters), Sweet Guitars (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Hendrix), Lots of Mo-Town (Al Green, Marvin Gaye), Some 60's rock (CCR, Janis Joplin), Trumpets (Miles Davis), Gansta Rap (NWA, Snoop Dog), Spanish Pop (Luis Miguel, Belanova), Drums & Bongos (Thai Bongos), Regular hip/hop & pop, Electro (Ben Wat), Vocals (Nora Jones) and lots of TV. (As a few examples for the breath of sounds the speakers will need to handle)

So these are some notables is that I tried from beginning to end:

1. NAD 3020 + iPhone + NAD CD Player (lost the details) with:

a. PSB Image B5 + other PSB speaker combos.

The combo in the running was the Image B5: a solid mid sound with some missing highs and lows but very good (IMO). I also tried other NAD products and speakers but this combo was the best for me.

2. I moved over and focused on speakers next while using the PM5004 + iPhone + a CD player (lost the details) with:

a. Wharfedale Diamonds 121 & 122

b. Q2020i & Concept 20’s

The performer in this group was for me were the Concept 20’s. I felt they had some crisp highs but missing some lows, still a great bargain and good sound (IMO).

3. Moved into the PM6005 + CD6005 + iPhone with:

a. Concept 20’s

b. B&W 685 S2

c. KEF LS50

In this pack the KEF had an exquisite sound stage sound, I thought Nat King Cole was singing feet from me. However, the price on these babies made me feel the presence of my wife over my shoulder as my budget was well off the 1K mark.

4. Next I went with the Marantz M-CR510 with:

a. Wharfedale Denton

b. Focal Chorus 806 V

c. KEF Q300

d. Sonus Faber Toy + PM6005

Here the clear winner was the mini, with super stage presence, Sonus Faber Toy (Clad in Leather). I was totally blown away by the mid sounds, nice highs, and cool base this little might produced.

Finally, ready to purchase the Sonus Faber, I switched out the amp for the PM6005 and that made everything much warmer and just lovely & rich. The volume also did not have to be turned up as high as with the M-CR510, and the sound coming out of the speakers was amazing (minus the deep base).

So, I started dealing numbers and the numbers crept up again! However, I had priced the PM6005 for 200 USD cheaper elsewhere, so I told the crew I would be back with the cheaper PM6005 from their competition.

So, I walked over to the cheaper place. Asked for the PM6005, they said they would have it tomorrow and knocked off a few additional dollars, so now I am running over 200USD cheaper than the last place. Then, they offered me the B&W 685 S2 200USD less than elsewhere I had priced. So, now this combo was cheaper than my original PM6005 + Sonus Faber Toy, plus they threw in cables (after trying to sell me 400USD cables).

I told the shop I would be back tomorrow to audition the combo they offered. Then, I walked over to a 3rd shop I had been dealing with and auditioned the PM6005 with B&W685 S2 again but now vs. the Sonus Faber Toy and I was sold!

So, that’s pretty much how I got here and it has not been easy. The abundance of speakers, quality, information, and wide range in prices make it really difficult. Ultimately, like you said Matt, you gotta go in there and see what the ears say and I did have to bump my budget to $1,500 USD.

Thanks for the support Matt!

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
For fear of throwing a spanner in the works I think you should revisit the idea of the Concept 20s. These speakers plus matching stands should cost the same as the 685 S2. I moved to the 685 S2 from the Concept 20s and over time ended up missing the far more detailed concepts. The concept 20s are in the same vein as the LS50s and are a wife friendly budget version if you will. I never found them to be lacking low end, perhaps a demo with a different amp, say a Nad D3020 or a Rega Brio R could fill out the lower end for you. The Concept 20 plus stands is far better finished than the 685 S2 also.

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey there Chris,

Thanks for the info, I'll demo those out later today again. I really liked the Concept 20 when I first auditioned them and did like the detail in the music.

matthewpiano

Your selection process sounds sensible and I think the combination will serve your wide musical tastes well. The only thing I would suggest is trying to hear the B&Ws with a Rotel RA11 amp instead of the Marantz. Rotel and B&W is a good combination.

I also agree it is worth re-visiting the Concept 20s with the Marantz as I do think the Qs would be a better match with the PM6005 than the B&Ws. You also don't mention trying any KEF Q100s - the Q100s would be a great match with the Marantz.

worldwidetrail

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input gents,

I have gone back to the shop and you gentlemen are correct! The PM6005 & Concept Q20's seem to go hand-in-hand. The music is crisp light and sounds well rounded (IMO). The price is also very nice in this combo.

Comparing the previous combo to the PM6005 and B&W685 S2 combo, the PM6005 seems to lacks a bit a power to drive the speakers. I hear a warm-rounded-mellow sound, good base, but it feels like the PM6005 is not eager to drive the speakers (IMO). So....

I am heading back down to another shop to audition the B&W685 S2 and the Rotel RA-12 (your recommendation Matt). I like all the bells and whistles on the RA-12 and the bump in power. I also rustled up some reviews on the RA-12 and its sound promising.

It’s a bit difficult to locate dealers and talk shop with the demo guys here in Thailand (my Thai is still a work in progress.). However, I have brought along the wife to engage her in the process, and hopefully bump up the budget, and she loves the great music she is hearing. However, she is now rooting for the B&W685 S2’s but I am hearing a bump in the budget.

Thanks for the advice gents!

matthewpiano

worldwidetrail said:
Looks like we decided to go with the Rotel RA-12 and B&W685 S2. A significant bump in price, but we beleive its a solid purchase.
Rotel amplification gets the best out of B&W speakers. Its a strong choice and a set-up that should give you huge pleasure. Enjoy.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Rotel and B&W 685s2 is not a bad combo but in the end it's a matter of taste. To my ears it wasn't the best. With TEAC it was more music to my ears.

If I bought the Rotel blind I would be a happy man. But because I heard the difference I'm more happy with the TEAC.

Enjoy your setup!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts