Marantz PM6005 2.1 loudspeakers

adam

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I want to ask if somebody is using the Marantz PM6005 in a 2.1 speaker configuration. As I understand you can "bi wire" bookshelf speakers and and active subwoofer to have more bass but Im not really sure what it does with the power output if you use bi wire option. Does it cut power in half so a bi wired speaker gets then 22.5 watts from channel A and 22.5 watts from B amp channel at 8 ohms, or how exactly bi wiring works regarding the power output from an 2 channel amplifier ?

Hi there Adam .I recommend that you don't bother with biwiring,especially at the budget end of the market ,it doesn't make much difference at all,it won't half the power or add bass.save your money or put it to better quality single runs of cable.If you want to know more about biwiring /biamping I suggest you Google search it as explaining will take a bit of time.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
adam said:
I want to ask if somebody is using the Marantz PM6005 in a 2.1 speaker configuration. As I understand you can "bi wire" bookshelf speakers and and active subwoofer to have more bass but Im not really sure what it does with the power output if you use bi wire option. Does it cut power in half so a bi wired speaker gets then 22.5 watts from channel A and 22.5 watts from B amp channel at 8 ohms, or how exactly bi wiring works regarding the power output from an 2 channel amplifier ?

Both sets of speaker outputs on the PM6005 are fed from the same power transistors inside the Marantz: they just have a switch to allow you to use speakers A, speakers B or both together. So connecting an active subwoofer won't affect the output of the amp into your main speakers: you just need to make sure you buy a sub able to accept a 'high level' or speaker level input, and then connect it to the amp in parallel with your main speakers.

You can either use the second set of speaker terminals to do this (ie main speakers on speaker A outputs, sub connected to speaker B), or just connect both sub and speakers to one set of terminals.

You're not actually biwiring in this configuration: biwiring refers specifically to running two sets of speaker cable to speakers with a split crossover (with two sets of terminals on the back of each speaker, joined by jumper bars). Remove the jumper bars and you can run one set of cables to the mid/low frequency terminals, and another to the high frequency ones.

I'm just explaining how it's done, not suggesting that you'll hear any benefit from doing so! ;-)

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

i think your question was can you drive a set of bookshelf speakers and an active subwoofer from the PM6005.

If so, the answer is yes but you have to buy a subwoofer that takes speaker level inputs because your amp doesn't have a preamp out (the PM8005 does). Something like the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 would work. You fasten one set of speaker outputs (A) to the bookshelf pair, and the other (B) to the subwoofer and select A+B on the amp.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree with splasher : I actually have two front B&W speakers linked to A spk out

and a B&W sub linked to B spk: no biwiring at all ; the whole power is going to the front speakers,

as the sub impedance is much higher ( 50 KOhm or more ) than that ( 8 Ohm or more ) of the spk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts