marantz pm6004 cd6004

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi bought this setup a about six months ago c/w monitor bx2s very please with the system getting itchy feet again thinking of changing speaker have looked around thinking of the rega rs1 would they produce a more detailed sound?? than the bx2s does anyone have this combo??

all answers are appreciated

regards martin....

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I’ve never heard the BX2’s but the Rega’s are exceptionally detailed and clear speakers with great timing.

They matched extremely well with my 6003 combo to my ears, but be warned that the bass doesn’t project very far and are best suited to a smaller listening environment IMO.

A speaker I would highly recommend having a listen to if you can would be the Focal 706V’s – they were brilliant with the Marantz. They perhaps don’t have quite the same timing as the Rega’s, but again they are exceptionally detailed but with a much bigger and involving soundstage. I love them equally but for different reasons, but each are simply beautiful with vocals and instrumentals.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the same Marantz kit but with the KEF Q500s. When I auditioned the kit I listended to a variety of speakers and to be frank they all disappointed me in some way until I started to listen to things at a rather higher price bracket. I really liked the KEFs (I bought them didn't I!) and the MA BX6s. IMO the KEFs are better for the mainly classical music I listen to.

That's my experience!

Chris

A

Anonymous

I don't understand, Do you have BX2's already?

*Edit: Yes you do, I just actually read the post.

Ok, I would second the Kef Q300's. Or a pair of RX2's.

Perhaps, also consider something from B&W CM range?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I think I am qualified to comment!

I bought the exact same setup 6 months ago, reasonably happy with it but it wasn't as good as my rotel 971mk2' cd63kisig' mission m72 from 10 years which I s sold as I discovered macs and iTunes!

Anyway about a month ago starting to get the itch, I sold the pm6004 and bought a Rega Brio R....what a lovely amp, sounded great with the BX2s...or so I thought until I heard the Rega RS1....WOW what an amazing speaker..... Yes the BX2s are ok plenty of top end and low end but the Regas are more musical and not fatiguing in the slightest and found I was enjoying the music more! I have also heard the rega DAC with my cd6004 as a transport.....it gets even better with the rega DAC.

The rega stuff is amazing, it doesn't get the praise in WHF that it should, it truly is no frills good honest sounding gear.... Trust me go and listen to it!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to stick my neck out here.....the b&w, KEF, MA are all good speakers but they all sparkle bright at the top, and pummel you at the low end.....the Regas are a very musical speaker and IMHO beat the KEF and MAs hands down....and yes I have listened to q300 and rx series....at least go and listen to the Regas! I think they trounce the bx2

stevebrock said:
The rega stuff is amazing, it doesn't get the praise in WHF that it should, it truly is no frills good honest sounding gear.... Trust me go and listen to it!

Ahh... yes it does. Over the years Rega has had an awful lot of praise TBF. In fact I would stick my neck out to say probably one of the 'most mentioned' or 'most recommended' brands on here.

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
I'm going to stick my neck out here.....the b&w, KEF, MA are all good speakers but they all sparkle bright at the top, and pummel you at the low end.....the Regas are a very musical speaker and IMHO beat the KEF and MAs hands down....and yes I have listened to q300 and rx series....at least go and listen to the Regas! I think they trounce the bx2

Agree that the Regas are very musical but I don't agree that they beat the others hands down. I think it is a pretty even playing field. Whilst I find the MA RX2s and RX1s can be a bit too much, particularly at the bass end, I feel this is more to do with positioning. They like to be in free space to sound their most balanced - get this right and they can sound superb. As for the KEFs and B&Ws I've owned the Q300s and the 685s and both are very well balanced. Even with my NAD amp, which is known for being slightly on the bassy side, the 685s don't 'pummel' me at the bottom end and they certainly aren't overly bright. Now the 686s (which I've also owned) are a different matter entirely and they really do sound like they are trying too hard to produce big bass from a small box.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input steve i think im going to buy some rs1 do you think the positioning of them will be ok at the moment the system sits on my kitchen shelf with the speakers placed on a shelf above backing onto the kitchen wall not ideal i know but i have no where else to place the system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input steve i think im going to buy some rs1 do you think the positioning of them will be ok at the moment the system sits on my kitchen shelf with the speakers placed on a shelf above backing onto the kitchen wall not ideal i know but i have no where else to place the system.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The Rega’s are absolutely fine backed up against a wall but I would have serious reservations about placing them on a shelf, as with any speaker.

Rega supply a very unobtrusive wall bracket for the RS1’s as you can see at the bottom on this page here which would do the trick nicely.

A

Anonymous

Good news i can put them close to the wall like the idea of wall brkts again not enough room is there anything i should worry about as the speakers sit on a wooden shelf its about 50mm thick?

A

Anonymous

Good news i can put them close to the wall like the idea of wall brkts again not enough room is there anything i should worry about as the speakers sit on a wooden shelf its about 50mm thick?

TRENDING THREADS