B&W 602 S2 replacements

orange

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
My current speakers are a pair of B&W 602 S2 I bought new years ago. It it currently set up ideally in my den of my condo on a pair of B&W stands. The rest of my system comprises of a NAD 326BEE, Rotel RCD-1072 and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus with a BT-100 which I have connected to my Macbook Pro.

I would like to upgrade the speakers as they are getting tired. I am between the Monitor Audio BX2s and the 685S2. They are both well reviewed and I feel they will play low enough, just based on the specs. My current 602 S2s are are benefitting from being corner loaded at the moment, they sound the best they have every sounded. I never had the volume knob past 9 o'clock on the 326' if anyone owns one. I have no intentions of adding a subwoofer and I would prefer a front firing port so I can reduce the chances of disturbing my neighbours.

My current 602 S2s sound great, but I am curious how trickle down technology comes into play almost 20 years down the road which is why I am considering 685 S2s. I am satisfied with the low end extention of my 602 S2s right now, but I am wondering if I would get better high frequency extention and detailed midrange with a set of 685 s2 or a set of Monitor Audio BX2s. I am trying to decide between the two at the moment. I usually stream off Soundcloud and the top tracks my playlist as I type this are: Belly featuring the Weeknd with "Might Not" and Odesza's Light (with Little Dragon) and Ben Pearce's "What I Might Do". My floors are hardwood and the walls are drywall, but I have a rug on the ground.

The BX2s are less money, but I had a set of 602 S2 for nearly 20 years. I was thinking I should just go with a pair of 685 S2s to appreciate the improvements over the years, but it is more money and maybe I should try something new. Anyone out there have first hand experience with the both the BX2s and 685 S2s? Or all three?

Any input would be appreciated.

orange said:
My current speakers are a pair of B&W 602 S2 I bought new years ago. It it currently set up ideally in my den of my condo on a pair of B&W stands. The rest of my system comprises of a NAD 326BEE, Rotel RCD-1072 and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus with a BT-100 which I have connected to my Macbook Pro.

I would like to upgrade the speakers as they are getting tired. I am between the Monitor Audio BX2s and the 685S2. They are both well reviewed and I feel they will play low enough, just based on the specs. My current 602 S2s are are benefitting from being corner loaded at the moment, they sound the best they have every sounded. I never had the volume knob past 9 o'clock on the 326' if anyone owns one. I have no intentions of adding a subwoofer and I would prefer a front firing port so I can reduce the chances of disturbing my neighbours.

My current 602 S2s sound great, but I am curious how trickle down technology comes into play almost 20 years down the road which is why I am considering 685 S2s. I am satisfied with the low end extention of my 602 S2s right now, but I am wondering if I would get better high frequency extention and detailed midrange with a set of 685 s2 or a set of Monitor Audio BX2s. I am trying to decide between the two at the moment. I usually stream off Soundcloud and the top tracks my playlist as I type this are: Belly featuring the Weeknd with "Might Not" and Odesza's Light (with Little Dragon) and Ben Pearce's "What I Might Do". My floors are hardwood and the walls are drywall, but I have a rug on the ground.

The BX2s are less money, but I had a set of 602 S2 for nearly 20 years. I was thinking I should just go with a pair of 685 S2s to appreciate the improvements over the years, but it is more money and maybe I should try something new. Anyone out there have first hand experience with the both the BX2s and 685 S2s? Or all three?

Any input would be appreciated.

I had a pair of the original 685's and, although very good, I found them to be very room-dependent. I can only suggest you try to audition for yourself. If you cannot then buy the MA Bronze BX2's and try them. If you don't find them great then you could sell them on at a small loss.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think either of those speakers are going to be a genuine improvement over what you have. I would be looking at speakers at £800 to £1000 for a real worthwhile improvement personally.

Your B&W's are excellent speakers you expect that 20 years later that everything has moved on leaps and bounds, it hasn't. Budget standmount Hi Fi speakers are still just that. Yes I am experienced with your era of B&W. I had a pair of DM 601 S3 on the end of my C326 BEE, I now have a pair Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders conected as a house move required a bigger speaker to fill the room with more depth & scale. The Tannoys were twice the price of my little old B&W's and were a good 13 years newer. My old B&W sound every bit as good as the Tannoy's do, (if compared in appropriate room sizes).

Im not saying my floorstanders are poor, it's just that their quality is no higher than my old B&W standmounts from circa 2001.

My point is that going from my own experience of price and age regarding your B&W's vs newer speakers in a simialr price bracket, there isn't going to be any drastic improvement. I think you need to up the amount you are willing to spend. If your current speakers are defective due to abuse, I'd only be expecting to achieve the sound you had at this price point, not an improvement.

rainsoothe

Hi. I agree that the speakers you're considering won't be a worthwile improvement. Maybe try a pair of XTZ 93.23 mk2, those will make a lovely partner for your NAD, and they're amazing (you gotta buy from XTZ website, they come with a few weeks trial period). Imo they better the 685 s2, not to mention the MA, which I wouldn't consider to begin with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts