Marantz PM6003 vs Marantz PM6004

ngoquangbach

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I am using Marantz PM6003 with MA RX2 and I feel bass still a liitle soft, now there is information that the new Marantz PM6004 will have better bass than the previous Marantz PM6003 so I would like to ask is it worthy to pay more US$ 300 to upgrade from Marantz PM6003 to the new Marantz PM6004?

Thanks & Best Regards

matthewpiano

The PM6004 is better than the PM6003, but whether it is enough of a difference to justify replacing one with the other, I'm not convinced. I certainly wasn't convinced enough to buy the 6004 when I still had my PM6003. Both are excellent amps and if I were you I'd either enjoy what you've got or hold out until you can make a significant upgrade either in terms of functionality or sound, or both.

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Had previouly enjoyed the pm6003 with q acoustics 2010. Upgrading the RX1 and found had same issues as yourself. Found i kept having to fiddle with the tone controls when listening to the RX1. Just didnt seem to pair well.

Took a chance on the Pm7004 and am a happy customer again. Wouldnt recomment the 6003 to 6004 route.

ngoquangbach

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So I should not pay more US$ 300 to upgrade from Marantz PM6003 to Marantz PM6004, is that correct? By the way, what is the difference between Marantz PM6004 and Marantz PM7004? I just pay attention to the sound quality not pay attention to the watt of the amplifier as I use this amplifier with just bookshelve speaker MA RX2.

ngoquangbach

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I had chance to hear Marantz PM6003 and Marantz PM6004 play with the same CDP and speaker. It's very surprise that I did not feel any better from Marantz PM6004 compare to Marantz PM6003, even the volume of Marantz PM6004 must be turned higher Marantz PM6003 to have the same level sound. I read many review of Marantz PM6004 and they said this version is more clear, .... than Marantz PM6003 but with my ear, I could not feel like that. There are 3 people had the same feeling like me yesterday when they hear Marantz PM6003 and Marantz PM6004.

Is there any one have the same feeling to me? Or can I have an explanation about this?

Thanks & Best Regards

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
ngoquangbach said:
Yesterday I had chance to hear Marantz PM6003 and Marantz PM6004 play with the same CDP and speaker. It's very surprise that I did not feel any better from Marantz PM6004 compare to Marantz PM6003, even the volume of Marantz PM6004 must be turned higher Marantz PM6003 to have the same level sound. I read many review of Marantz PM6004 and they said this version is more clear, .... than Marantz PM6003 but with my ear, I could not feel like that. There are 3 people had the same feeling like me yesterday when they hear Marantz PM6003 and Marantz PM6004.

Is there any one have the same feeling to me? Or can I have an explanation about this?

Thanks & Best Regards

If thats what you heard with your ears, then it a no brainer...... buy the cheaper amp!

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Have not heard the PM6003, but the 6004 sounds very good to my ears, better than my NAD c352 which sounded a bit wolly and hollow after comparing, so I sold the NAD C352 , Theroreticaly this shoud be a downgrade, but not to my ears, now I have firmer bass , liquid mdrange . refined treble,Must gel better with my system , which is Marantz CD7300, Spotify via a Dacmagic and AE Neo floorstanders

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

What Speaker and CD player did you listen too when you listen to the PM 6003 and PM 6004. Maybe PM 6004 needs different speakers and CDP to get better sound.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

test Marantz vs Yam - Nad

Only my impressions with my old B&W and B&W 684 in store (rock and Jazz):
Yam AS 500: very open sound , great horizontal image stage, but with too present high freq., for me; bass good only with loudness in, not very ergonomic remote and front commands; very, very easy to mark with fingers on the front (incredible!);
Nad 316: good bass, but not at low volume; medium-high freq. a little bit confuse; very ergonomic and nice.
Marantz 6004: more liquid and natural medium freq.; bass enough, but you can add something at low volume with loudness, not possible with Nad;
built like a tank in Japan, with golden input/output, smart and nice remote, that I found can drive my 20 years old CD Philips too!

The pm 6004 sounds to me to have same bass or more than Yam as 500; vs Nad I don't know, but at low levels

with loudness you have a good and deep bass till 30 Hz, more and more than Nad 316 or 326

as they don't have loudness...
MARANTZ - PM 6004
Bancs d'essai
I'd like to hear others impressions about Nad 326 and Marantz 6004 differences, thanks.

matthewpiano

It all comes down to synergy. The Yamaha, Marantz and NAD C326BEE are all excellent amplifiers for the money and each performs far better than you would expect from a budget amplifier. I've heard all three amps sound beautifully balanced, detailed and involving when partnered with the right source and speakers, and I've also heard the faults of all three amps when they are partnered badly. In the end you need to audition these amps with the other equipment you will be using and make your own mind up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts