Marantz PM6003 review...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
WHF guys – would appreciate your thoughts if you have the time... (and anyone else's of course!)

I read the review of the Marantz PM6003 and thought WHF were being a bit over-the-top. But I got to listen to it yesterday with three sets of speakers, B&W 685s, Kef Q300s and Monitor Audio Silver RX1s.

Wow. Now I see why it's an award winner. Fed a MacBook Pro via an rDAC it sounded absolutely stunning with all three sets. Powerful, controlled and really, really engaging.

I'm a 'pure direct' fan myself but my cousin (who was buying) likes bass, so turned this off and upped the bass and it still sounded awesome.

My choice of speakers were the Monitor Audios. For me they presented a better sound stage with the vocals, and had a bit more overall clarity. What do the reviewers think?

We ended up with the B&Ws though as my cousin thought them a bit more 'full bodied'.

We also tried the Yamaha A-S500. Hmm - how can this be £100 more? AND a 5 star amp? Were the speakers inappropriate ? as we both thought this sounded awful by comparison. Brash, shouty and seemed to have no grip on the bass whatsoever...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You did everything right - auditioned a range of kit and chose a combination that suited your musical tastes.
emotion-21.gif

That matters far more than whether you agree with our opinion on a product's performance, albeit that our judgement may be based on suiting wider criteria/system matching.

The Marantz is an excellent amp - enjoy
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

And what about the Q300? How did they sound (in comparison to B&W's)? I'm going to buy a new amp with speakers soon and both B&W 685 and KEF Q300 + Marantz PM6003 and PM7004 are on my list, but I can't audition them. The dealer that sells B&W's doesn't have any of the amps, and the dealer who sells Marantz doesn't have the new KEFs, just iQ30 which I really liked with Marantz, although the sound was sometimes little too bright (and that's why I want to try the Q300).

Thanks for reply.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
First we listened to the Kefs, then swapped for the B&Ws. As I said to the guy in the shop, had I left the room and come back in again without looking, I'd not have guessed they'd been changed! They really were that close.

On REALLY trying to determine a difference I think the Kefs were a touch brighter but the B&Ws had a bit more oompf. Had I had to choose between the pair I'd probably have gone for the Kefs. My cousin thought the B&Ws were a more exciting listen.

So that's probably not much help really, but I can safely say you won't be disappointed with either.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
You did everything right - auditioned a range of kit and chose a combination that suited your musical tastes.
emotion-21.gif

That matters far more than whether you agree with our opinion on a product's performance, albeit that our judgement may be based on suiting wider criteria/system matching.

The Marantz is an excellent amp - enjoy
emotion-2.gif

Indeed Clare - but it also demonstrates the power of the mag and this forum for the good starting point in terms of what to demo. To be honest, 5 mins into the demo (with the Marantz and Kefs), my cousin would probably have got his credit card out there and then. It was me who was more interested in listening to other kit...

A

Anonymous

roger06:
First we listened to the Kefs, then swapped for the B&Ws. As I said to the guy in the shop, had I left the room and come back in again without looking, I'd not have guessed they'd been changed! They really were that close.

On REALLY trying to determine a difference I think the Kefs were a touch brighter but the B&Ws had a bit more oompf. Had I had to choose between the pair I'd probably have gone for the Kefs. My cousin thought the B&Ws were a more exciting listen.

So that's probably not much help really, but I can safely say you won't be disappointed with either.

Thanks, I know how the B&Ws sound and I nearly bought them, but if the KEFs are a touch brighter, I'll order Q300. Thanks again :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts