Marantz or Pioneer streamer?

insider9

Not heard either but looking at Marantz review definitely no for metal. Also Pioneer's app is supposed to be rather poor. The warmth you mention would more likely come from speakers and amp.

Any specific features you're looking for? How about Yamaha WXC-50?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Not a fan of arcam and Yamaha. Looking at a good sounding streamer for metal and rock and a good match with my Exposure amp.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I was going to suggest the Raumfeld, but I have done quite a lot, and I have nothing to reference it against. I will say I think it sounds great, but I suppose I can 100% recommend it due the fact you have an 8 week trial if you buy it.

I am probably not astute enough to notice the delicate difference between a system that's good or bad for heavy music, but Pantera and Metallica sound good to me from this unit.

It's dnla compatible, spotify connected, tune in radio, and something I particularly like is you can rip albums and copy them to a USB and play direct from the app, flac or other formats. It has RCA out and optical if you got a better DAC. I'm surprised after buying one that it's not a more popular unit

Oh, in hifi terms it's inexpensive

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use CCA's and a Hifime ESS 9018 DAC.

Sounds very good to me and I am quite eclectic in musical tastes, from avant garde/free jazz and heavy Rock to classical. No pop.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the vanilla version of the Pioneer N-50 and the control app and lack of meaningful firmware upgrades were shockingly bad. The sound was pretty decent though and I listen to a fair bit of metal. I've since upgraded to the Yamaha WXC-50 and yes I view it as an upgrade over the Pioneer. Shame Yamaha isn't a brand you like... Marantz streamers I've never heard.

Edit : And regarding Insider9 second point about real improvements coming from speakers, again I agree. Metal was muddled amd mudded with my previous speakers, the PMC Twenty 23's only when I changed these could I really enjoy the genre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts