Marantz NA6005 Network Player - benefits?

alastairpearce

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Did try posting this in the Network Player forum, but didn't get any responses so thought I'd give the general forum a shot.

I've noticed that Marantz have released a new network audio player, the NA6005, which seems packed with features and affordable at £499.

My question is, what is the benefit of such a network audio player?

At present, I stream Spotify content from my android phone and laptop to my stereo amplifier by bluetooth (I have the little QED Uplay bluetooth puck plugged into my stereo amp).

Aside from all the obvious additional network content, like internet radio etc, offered by the network player, what other benefits does it offer?

What I am getting at is, is it really worth shelling out £499 for this product? For example is the Spotify Connect feature any better than streaming content through the little Bluetooth puck?

Cheers

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
alastairpearce said:
For example is the Spotify Connect feature any better than streaming content through the little Bluetooth puck?

Hammers your phone battery a lot less: once you have chosen what you want to play, the streamer takes over the shunting of the data from the Spotiservers to your ears via its network connection, rather than your phone having to do the job of downloading it from t'Interweb and then re-transmitting it via Bluetooth.

Beyond that, not having heard the NA-6005, can't really comment, but the NA8005 and NA-11S1 have been well reviewed in various places: guess this is just Marantz bringing that technology down to its 6005 series level to provide a match for the CD6005/PM6005.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
spiny norman said:
alastairpearce said:
For example is the Spotify Connect feature any better than streaming content through the little Bluetooth puck?

Hammers your phone battery a lot less: once you have chosen what you want to play, the streamer takes over the shunting of the data from the Spotiservers to your ears via its network connection, rather than your phone having to do the job of downloading it from t'Interweb and then re-transmitting it via Bluetooth.

Beyond that, not having heard the NA-6005, can't really comment, but the NA8005 and NA-11S1 have been well reviewed in various places: guess this is just Marantz bringing that technology down to its 6005 series level to provide a match for the CD6005/PM6005.

I've not compared them in detail but you can get the NA8005 for about £650 now.

Chris

alastairpearce

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The Na8005 at £650 is very tempting, but slightly over my budget still. £450 is about the limit.

I don't tend to have a lot of stored digital files, so don't really require the network player to play any stored high-res digital files.

I would only be using it to stream Spotify Premium content most of the time, with perhaps a bit of internet radio listening thrown in as well if the feature is available.

So I suppose the question still is, what benefit does owning a £500 network player have over streming Spotify Premium through my phone/laptop to the £50 bluetooth dongle currently plugged into my stereo amp? (other than battery saving on the phone)

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Lossy audio compression is applied over the Bluetooth connection. If you use a Spotify Connect device, this wouldn't happen—you are left with the best quality that Spotify can provide.

There are also other factors to take into account, though. So you'd need to listen and decide yourself if this is an improvement.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
unsleepable said:
Lossy audio compression is applied over the Bluetooth connection. If you use a Spotify Connect device, this wouldn't happen—you are left with the best quality that Spotify can provide.

Damn! Beat me to it! Mind you, given the best quality Spotify can provide... ;-)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I dont know what your "puck" is my brother has the QED one and rekons the sound is not good.

I had a CA Stream Magic 6 and all i played was Spotify, sound is upsampled and sounded superb so much better than my Sonos. I sold the CA beacuse im a HiFi snob and bought a Linn Majik, which sounds no where near as good as the Stream Magic with Spotify, I shall be geting the new CA CXN when its launched. You can buy a Stream Magic V1 for £399 no Spotify Connect though, but same brilliant sound.

TRENDING THREADS