Marantz/Monitor Audio advise needed please :-)

steviebandit

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Early last year I purchased a Marantz PM6003 and CD6003 along with Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. A few days later I decided to exchange for BX5 floorstanders. Now, a year on I'm still not happy with the sound, the low-down Bass guitar and Bass Drum etc doesn't seem to be as prominent as it could be. Violins, High-Hats, guitar solos and rythym guitar etc are all fantastic but I listen to mostly 70s and 80s which feature alot of drum and bass guitar and it just doen't jump out and grab me. I was thinking of maybe trying some Dali Lektor 2s as I've seen them recommended as a good pairing with the PM6003.

What can anyone suggest? I also have a Rotel RA-04 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s which sounds brilliant as I use it as a stereo TV set-up but swapping the amps and speakers around doesn't get me much further forward.

Any help would be great-

drlindgren

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I know it is a cost step above, but I loved the richness of the bass on the Monitor Audio Silver RX8 floor standers. It really involved me.

My speakers are paired with completely different amp/CD (NAD C370, NAD C541), so you may get a different feel.

I took my own kit with me to the store to try the speakers (and others). Was a wonderful experience!

Pagmed

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem with the BX5s and the Marantz combo. Tried turning off the digital out and the display and the change is incredible! I was considering changing the amp as it had not performed as expected with the same shortcomings you are mentioning. I can not believe how important that detail is for this system. Suddenly I'm hearing much more detail and more impact from the rhythm section. Thanks!

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
In my experience the BX5s shouldn't sound so bass-light. It's worth checking a few things before you think of changing. Are all the drive units working? And is it correctly wired? If all is correct, it may be worth moving the speakers closer to a rear wall (if possible).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts