Marantz MCR-603 - Thinking of these speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Demo permitting, I'm looking at getting an MCR 603, used 100% for music.

Ideally I'm after a 2.1 setup (it's for a family room, no space for floor standers) - I know i'm not going to get audiophile quality, I just want something to pump out a pleasing sound with a good thump (my tastes are about 80% house music, 20% everything else). Will be considering book shelfs too, but not sure I'd get the required/perceived bass.

Was originally going to head down the second hand Bose Acoustimass 5 route, but understand there are better value/quality options, primarily the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 2.1.

I just wonder how the Marantz would perform with the Boston setup - they don't appear very sensitive from the spec sheets (85db, 8 Ohm).

As I mentioned, not after audiophile quality (obviously!) - I just want a pleasing sound that engages the listener, making you want to turn it up.... if that makes sense? A room full of punch wherever you are, not a chair lined up in a perfect triangle with the speaker :)

Any advice/comments on the Boston/Bose/2.1 Alternatives/Marantz match greatly appreciated.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If Boston Acoustics, i'd go for these...

http://www.bostona.eu/en/loudspeakers_bookshelf_a26.php?dc=5131&gc=&btn=overviewbutton&

http://www.whathifi.com/review/boston-acoustics-a26

The review mentions that they have good 'bass weight' (6.5" bass/mid drivers).

They are also 89dB (@8 ohms) so will yield a bit more volume for the same power.

Bear in mind that the Marantz is a 50wpc device so you might want to consider something with more power if you intend to play the system very loud in a large room. (Your post hints at this.)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby.

So you agree 85db/8Ohm is considered fairly hard to drive for a 60W amp?

I'm now thinking perhaps something like you suggest plus a small sub to re-enforce the depth.

My room isn't big (roughly 4M by 3.5M, with an arch in the middle which effectively makes it 4 x 7M). I'm not after night-club volumes, just the occasional knees up when things get boisterous while friends are round :)

When music makes me what to turn up, with dance music especially there's nothing more disappointing than the bass tailing off, leading you to turning it back down agian to bring everything back in line.

To give you an idea, my Bose Sound Dock makes a reasonable fist of it to a point, I'm after more of that really. Pleasing, satisfying sound, loud-ish when I want it. (apologies in advance to the purists!)

Thanks.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well for your type of music I sould look at something like these http://klipsch.co.uk/cat/bookshelf/product/rb61iiblack

Klipsch speskers are usually very sensitive and these are 95. I dont know what your budget is but they do cheaperr vesions than the link ive posted.

Others I wohld consider are, all go quite low and there would probably be no need for a sub.

Bowers and Wilkins 685

Monitor Audio BR2 (second hand) great speaker for electronic music.

if you budget is could stretch then Monitor Audio RX1 or 2

Finally consider the cheap £99 Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or the 10.1 excellent series

A

Anonymous

Great advice - Thanks, I had no idea Kilpsch did anything other than portable/iDock type products... couldn't have been more wrong it seems.

Looking forward to demoing some smaller, traditional speakers.

That said, will still keep an eye on the n.1 stuff on eBay. Anyone know what these are like?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261149400710?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi badman i use mine with bw cm1 the sound is always deep rich detailed and powerful they also look good in gloss black to match the system give em a try

A

Anonymous

I currently have the exact same setup as you describe. MCR603 + soundware sx 2.1. Im not an audiophile either, but I do a appreciate a good sound. Bought the speakers as a hifi "starter", so I might upgrade to bookshelfs later on. All I can say is that this setup is perfect for me. Amazing sound for its size. Also the sub is great. Sub can be re-used in your case of upgrading, since your house music would like a good punch, this sub would be a great addition to two bookshelfs if you decide to upgrade later. As for now, im not upgrading to bookshelfs any time soon, this set suits my needs perfectly. If you got any queations let me know.

A

Anonymous

What is your budget? The MCR603 can handle some good speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have just tried some B&W CM1s, they are not bad, quite bassy but I found they did take some driving, I used a Rega Brio amp and I thought it was struggling a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts