Marantz HiFi + HT Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I already have a forum going titled Sony STRDA5400ES + B&W 684 HT speaker package but today a dealer suggested a completely different approach to achieving satisfaction in both HiFi and HT. He says that I should consider a Marantz PM8003 for 2 Channel HiFi driving the same speakers as HT Fronts, with a Marantz SR5003 processing the Centre, Rear and Sub channels. This dealer sells Monitor Audio and recommends the Silver RS6 (Front), RSLCR (Centre), RS1 (Rears) and ? (Sub). I will be auditioning this on Monday possibly comparing it with a Harman Kardon HT Receiver (which I am unlikely to be happy with). I have a Sony 46W4500 TV, BDP-S350 BluRay and CDP-XB920E CD player (about 10 years old). For the record, the Sony STRDA5400ES that I am still considering is on promotion at a genuine 46% off the current retail price and I have been offered a reasonable deal on the B&W 684s from the same dealer (not the one with the Marantz / Monitor Audio range). The Marantz combo retail is less than the normal price of the Sony 5400ES and I don't know what discount will be offered but I would be surprised if the bottom line was less than reduced Sony price. It is difficult to compare various combinations here in New Zealand because most dealers are linked to specific importers/agents and they only carry restricted ranges. Is there anyone who has experience with the suggested Marantz HiFi Amp / HT Receiver configuration (or any other similar setups)? To the What HiFi Sound and Vision team, is this a path that should be promoted more?

Cheers from down under

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Hurly:is this a path that should be promoted more?

Yes but most people want the convenience of a one-box solution, which I imagine why you never see many processors and power amps getting reviewed in WHF. I used to use my Arcam hifi amp hooked up to the pre-outs on my Denon and it worked a treat for me for many years. I have reverted to using my Denon AVR for everything now for convenience but do miss my Arcam.

Many people have existing stereo gear that could easily be integrated into a 5.1/7.1 setup with the right amp and matching speakers, so yes, I do think it should be promoted more. The majority of <£1k AV receivers can't do music anywhere nearly as accomplished as a budget stereo amp.

I would also recommend trying the Marantz on its own for stereo playback and perhaps look at the model up e.g. 6003 and newer 6004.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hurly:

Harman Kardon HT Receiver (which I am unlikely to be happy with).

I wouldnt dismiss the Harman staight off. We have just taken in the new AVR660 and initial impressions are very good.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Nick. I am not sure what model I will be offered, but I will give it a go anyway.

Regards.

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, I must say that the one box solution has always been foremost in my mind but I have had no experience of the two unit system. I am now eager to see just how an older guy like me (and my wife) could live with yet another remote control (if that is required) and extra steps to get things up and running each time. I have no doubt that the sonic benefits will be there though. The Marantz agency has recently changed in NZ and I am not sure that all retailers stocking their products have the latest range available, but I will certainly be looking at trying to get the latest (and greatest?). Thanks for your advice.

Regards

emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts