Marantz CD6005 vs CD6006

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have an elderly Marantz CD6000 OSE and I am thinking of upgrading it. I have been recommended either this year's Marantz CD6006 @ £399 or last year's model the CD6005 on offer @ £229 which was What Hi Fi's 2015 award winner for players under £500.

Is there £170 worth of sound quality improvement or better features between the two models.

I am also considering Cambridge Audio CDC transport @ £300.

The new player will be connected to a Denon AVRX2300 A/V amp and Monitor Audio Bronze 2's, MA Bronze centre and hopefully a MA MRW10 sub woofer.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Gray

If you could get one (or both) of them home to compare with your current player, you may just decide to stick with that. I say this as an owner of the CD6000(OSE)KI, virtually the same player as yours.

I've tried improving it with 'best buy' £400-£600 DACs - which proved how good its own analogue output already was - even if it is 14 years old.

I know what it's like once you've made your mind up to buy something new, there may be an improvement with the newer models, but try before you buy?

I agree with the others that the 6005 may well be the better option at its latest price.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Gray said:
If you could get one (or both) of them home to compare with your current player, you may just decide to stick with that. I say this as an owner of the CD6000(OSE)KI, virtually the same player as yours.

I've tried improving it with 'best buy' £400-£600 DACs - which proved how good its own analogue output already was - even if it is 14 years old.

I know what it's like once you've made your mind up to buy something new, there may be an improvement with the newer models, but try before you buy?

(Old or new, has there been a bad Marantz CDP?)

I don't know if I'd say bad but ive never really understood the enthusiasm for the 6005. Just my opinion.
Always found it unbearably bright and lean.

S

SemiChronic

I also thought that about the 6005, and ended up with the cambridge 651c which was about the same price. And i much prefered its sound.

The 651c has recently come down to about £200, might be worth a look for the OP

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their advice and opinions.

I am thinking of the 6005 due to the large difference in price I can't see any thing in the spec that is a lot different. There is a chance that I might just stick with my existing player for a while longer although I was thinking of using it in a second set up in a bedroom however there is no hurry on that.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Gray said:

I agree with the others that the 6005 may well be the better option at its latest price.

I also own the CD6000KI and think it's a great player. When I hooked it up to my previously owned Pioneer N-50 network player/dac it was a revelation (still)... Mines got years left in it and isn't going anywhere soon, A side by side comparison would be a great idea.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks I'm not in a big hurry to change and I will definitely audition any new player I don't think a home audition / comparison is an option. I might just buy a new remote control for my 6000 OSE for the time being.

What way do you connect the CD player to the amp I am using a Cambridge Audio optical digital lead at present but also have a CA Pacific phono to phono lead I could use.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If your amp has a dac and your cd has an optical out this is one way to connect. The analog out is obviously another way. Both ways will likely sound different as different DACs etc come into play, so you have to decide which sounds better to yourself

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts