Marantz NR1607 or DENON AVRX2300 AV Receiver

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have an existing Marantz SR4300 av reciever which I am looking to upgrade in the near future and have been recommended a Denon AVRX2300 which is the What Hi-Fi award winner. As I have a Marantz at the moment I was also considering the new Marantz NR1607 - hopefully I will get the chance to hear the two of them before purchasing. I will probably be using them with a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of these two recievers. I am hoping that what Hi-Fi will be doing a review of the Marantz soon. Thanks.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The Marantzis a "low profile" or "slimline" unit, the Demon isn't.

Other than that, and given Denon and Marantz units are from the same stable (Marantz made in China, Denon in Japan) and that the guts are probably very similar, therefore, there isn't much to choose between them.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would never buy a new AV receiver at full undiscounted RRP at the £500 mark. You can do so much better by purchasing a last year model receiver that would have originally been introduced at around the £800 range and reduced to £500.

That would be my usual approach. The caveat to this at the moment though is how important 4K, HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 is to you. If it is, then your largely restricting yourself to this year's models, in which case, if it was me, I'd hang on for another year and wait for this year's £800 model to be discounted.

I've always enjoyed my Pioneer / Monitor Audio combos, although I do prefer a tight, fast, detailed sound. If you prefer a warmer balance, then you might be better of with Marantz, Denon or Yamaha.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks I didn't know that the too makes were from the same stable that's interesting to know.

The fact that the Marantz is a slimline unit is a plus factor as well as obviously it would take up less room in my cabinet - as I said I might be able to get a listen to both as I don't see alot of difference in their spec's.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - I have a Panasonic 32" 1080p tv at the moment but again I was thinking of upgrading in the near future to maybe a 50" 4k tv.

I will also have to get a new computer soon and was planning on getting one with a 4K graphic card - I also use my existing computer to play itunes through my av set up. If i am buying anything new at the moment I would like it to be as future proof as possible without having to upgrade again.

I was thinking / recommended to upgrade my speakers first with suitable stands and wait a while for the price of the two av recievers to come down a bit. I also have an older marantz cd player, a panasonic blu ray player, a sky+ box and a xbox1 games console.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I haven't been on the WHF for a very long time!

I came across this post after doing a Google search, I'm in a similar predicament. My Denon AVR1910 died after a lightning strike and my insurance company are going to replace it with this year's Denon AVRX2300. Happy days. But, I can go for something different as long as I pay the difference, and I'm looking at the Marantz NR1607 which I can get for £70 more. What to do?!

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm new to What Hi-Fi forums as well.

My local retailer is selling both models for the same price of £499.

In reply to an earlier post about not buying this years model at full price I have looked on Google for prices of the Marantz NR1606 and seen it from £279 upwards - that is making me wonder would that be a better route to take as my old amp is probably at least 7 years old?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Buying last year's model is fine...

But you need to be sure it's HDCP2.2, HDR, 4k @ 50 frames per second (Hz), and everything else.

Otherwise you risk buying a unit that won't be compatible with your new TV, BDP, etc.

Specs changed SO frequently between, I dunno, 2011 and now, it's easy to be left with something that's out of date before you've even sent your PayPal payment.

And that's why last year's models get so heavily discounted.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - maybe not such a good idea then I don't want to buy something out of date before i get it home! There does seem to be a lot of features dolby wise that i can't see myself ever using but I want to get a good solid amp that will be good both for music mp3 / cd and bluray / dvd using front stereo speakers and a centre speaker with possibly a sub woofer at some stage.

The decision then is to buy now at full price or wait until the price drops a bit?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the specs have settled down now, so you're unlikely to see next year's models change much.
The decision is yours. Do you want this year's Mondeo now, or wait for next year's with (possibly) nicer alloy wheels? Or do you wait until this year's model is last year's and discounted a little to get it shifted? All depends on how urgent your need is and how full your pockets are. We can't help you there.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
Thanks - I have a Panasonic 32" 1080p tv at the moment but again I was thinking of upgrading in the near future to maybe a 50" 4k tv.

I will also have to get a new computer soon and was planning on getting one with a 4K graphic card - I also use my existing computer to play itunes through my av set up. If i am buying anything new at the moment I would like it to be as future proof as possible without having to upgrade again.

I was thinking / recommended to upgrade my speakers first with suitable stands and wait a while for the price of the two av recievers to come down a bit. I also have an older marantz cd player, a panasonic blu ray player, a sky+ box and a xbox1 games console.

When I upgraded my PC last year, I added this entry-level 4k graphics card

https://www.amazon.fr/PNY-Graphique-Professionnelle-PCI-Express-VCQK420-PB/dp/B00MO4R6L6

and this 4k monitor

https://www.amazon.fr/ASUS-PB287Q-Ecran-300cd-ports/dp/B00JEZTC3I

and both have worked well together. It was certainly much cheaper than buying a 4k TV, whilst there was still uncertainty about formats and specifications etc.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I know you have to take the plunge sometime or you would never get round to upgrading anything.

I am currently using a laptop computer and plan on getting a new desktop with a hdmi lead to connect to my existing 1080p 32" screen and get a wireless keyboard and mouse - my laptop is on its last legs as it is about 6 or 7 years old and is struggling big time with a lot of stuff including playing 1080 videos never mind 4k. Part of my problem is too many things need updated or replaced at once and i need to prioritise what needs done first as well as within budjet.

I'm tempted to buy the marantz 1607 as its the make I know - I never had a denon but it is the what hi-fi award winner and recommended by my local retailer - just have to think about it.

Definitely go for the Denon. It has 125 watts per channel as opposed to Marantz at only 50 watts per channel. Something has to compromise to reduce the size of the AV receiver. Larger chassis is more heat efficient, hence you can put more powerful amplification in.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Definitely go for the Denon. It has 125 watts per channel as opposed to Marantz at only 50 watts per channel. Something has to compromise to reduce the size of the AV receiver. Larger chassis is more heat efficient, hence you can put more powerful amplification in.

Ultimately, that's what swayed my decision - the AVRX2300 is arriving tomorrow.
regular_smile.gif
My Denon AVR1910 was perfect for my room and setup, so the Marantz would've been a massive step down in power. Thanks BB.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thnanks bigboss I was wondering about the difference in size between the two items and why one company would use a larger case than the other if not necessary. I would imagine that there would be some comprimise in using the smaller chassis a bit like a lap top computer anda desktop.

How much advantage would the 125w over the 50w be in a smaller rooom when sound levels won't be very high?

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
beaker_07 said:
Thnanks bigboss I was wondering about the difference in size between the two items and why one company would use a larger case than the other if not necessary. I would imagine that there would be some comprimise in using the smaller chassis a bit like a lap top computer anda desktop.

How much advantage would the 125w over the 50w be in a smaller rooom when sound levels won't be very high?
It also depends on your speakers. You would preferably drive them with a similar powered amp.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I plan on getting a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers which are rated at 100w. I will be using these with either my existing wharfdale sapphire centre speaker or a matching Monitor Audio Bronze centre speaker rated at 120w and possibly adding a sub woofer at a later date.

beaker_07 said:
Think of a Jaguar XF with a 3 litre engine as compared to a Nissan Micra with a 1.2 litre engine. Both can do 70mph on the motorway. But which engine will achieve the speed more effortlessly?

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
beaker_07 said:
Think of a Jaguar XF with a 3 litre engine as compared to a Nissan Micra with a 1.2 litre engine. Both can do 70mph on the motorway. But which engine will achieve the speed more effortlessly?

Very good analogy!

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys that sums things up quite well - I think I'll be getting the Denon it does everything I need and then some.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
beaker_07 said:

I drive an AMG CLK63...

TheSinnerGr

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Denon x2300w has an award??? What kind? Best receiver in the future? They "reviewed" the Denon before it even hit the shelves while now other receivers have been released and you'll see the reviews months later...Think...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts