Marantz CD6002 Partnering???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having started on upgrading my sytems at home I now have a selection problem.

I have PZ80 Plasma, DMP-BD35 Blue Ray, Virgin+. Mourdant Short Alumini 5.1(missus liked the look of these best).

To complete the set up I now need a suitable receiver and cd player. Having read about the cd players I am 99% certain of opting for Marantz CD 6002, reading the review the reviews it says it can take careful partnering. My choices for receivers are Denon's 1909 and Yamaha's DSP-AX863SE.

I know this is far from a perfect HiFi solution but a dedicated cd spinner must be better than relying on a DVD/Blueray for music presentation, and dont really want to make room for HiFi amps etc,so my question is which receiver?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Leahandanna

matthewpiano

Not my normal approach, but in your system I would suggest forgetting the CD player and buying a Cambridge Audio DacMagic or Beresford DAC. Using it with your blu-ray player will give you better results than a CD6002, particularly partnered with an AV receiver where the Marantz's slightly harsh treble would tend to be exacerbated.

A

Anonymous

Many Thanks,

Being a bit of a Hi Fi novice what exactly do these DAC units do, and why do they give a better sound performance.

Look Forward to your reply

Leahandanna

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello.

The DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. This takes the digital sound, (from a CD, DVD, BlueRay, or other source), and converts it to analogue signals for amplification.

A player will have its own DAC, or the player can output digital information and the DA conversion can take place elsewhere, (such as in an amplifier / AV receiver, or in a separate DAC module such as the DACMagic).

Reading various forums, people have beaten hig-end CD players by pairing a resonably cheap DVD or BlueRay player with a quality DAC unit, (the DACMagic and Beresford DAC seem to be the most popular). Since the CD6002 is about £200-ish, and the DACMagic is £200, (the Beresofd less), it makes more sense to go this route than buying the CD6002.

Before doing that, though, I'd try buying your receiver first, and letting that do the DA conversion, (output the digital sound from your player). The DA conversion will most likely be better than your player's, and the quality may be good enough for you. If not you can try a separate DAC.

For music, I play FLAC using a console, with digital output to a mid-range Marantz, and the results are very good, (or at least I think so!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts