Marantz CD17

Zigwolf

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have a Marantz CD-17 C.D. Player bought in March 1999. It now sounds pretty awful - especially when compared to a cheap Blu Ray Player I also own

My question is should I go to the trouble of seeking a repair to this player (New Lazer ?) or simply buy a new machine ?

Thank You - Alan

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Welcome

Are you sure the lazer is the problem with the sound? If lazer is damged or dirty it simply wont read the disc and skip.

You may be better off getting another 2nd hand player

Zigwolf said:
Hi

I have a Marantz CD-17 C.D. Player bought in March 1999. It now sounds pretty awful - especially when compared to a cheap Blu Ray Player I also own

My question is should I go to the trouble of seeking a repair to this player (New Lazer ?) or simply buy a new machine ?

Thank You - Alan

Best to look at a replacement machine. New budget CDPs will probably work out cheaper than a repair, once you've factored in the parts, labour, carriage charges. Then, of course, there's no guarantee that something else (mechanism, transport itself) won't go wrong.

Look at newer Marantz, Arcam or Rotel.

Zigwolf

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi - Thank you for your replies - you both suggest a new CD Player. So:-

I am currently playing my CD's on a previously, barely used, Sony BDP-S760 Blu Ray Player.

Would a decent dedicated CD Player give better results?

If so, how much do I need to spend to get decent & enjoyable sound? And

Do any of you have a personal favourite CD player to recommend?

(Denon AVR-X2000 Surround Amp) (Castle Harlech Speakers - Yes, they are another question for the future)

Thanks again

Alan

Zigwolf said:
Hi - Thank you for your replies - you both suggest a new CD Player. So:-

I am currently playing my CD's on a previously, barely used, Sony BDP-S760 Blu Ray Player.

Would a decent dedicated CD Player give better results?

If so, how much do I need to spend to get decent & enjoyable sound? And

Do any of you have a personal favourite CD player to recommend?

(Denon AVR-X2000 Surround Amp) (Castle Harlech Speakers - Yes, they are another question for the future)

Thanks again

Alan

There will be a difference between a dedicated CDP and a Blu-Ray player, but not as big as you might think. I know that my Panny Blu-ray CD playback is almost as good as my old Arcam CD73. The differences were pretty subtle.

I would be looking at minimum Arcam FMJ CD17, or Roksan Kandy CDP or Rega Apollo-R. But it'll depend on your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts