Marantz amps warm sounding?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Al ears said:
People's definition of warm is obviously arguable. You should look for a second hand Primare integrated, in my opinion. If you must buy new then the Marantz is hard to beat.

Well I wasn't going to mention Primare since all the gear suggested was new. Class AB Primare is a perfect partner for Tannoys. I've hear both in my own system Primare A30.1 with Tannoy DC6T and recently suggested the same speakers for my mates Primare A20. What these amps do so well is build on strenghts of the speakers (soundstage) and don't show up their weaknesses (treble that can turn harsh quite quickly). I wouldn't suggest any Class D amplification with these speakers especially Cyrus One that has crisp and clean sound as per WHF review. It's likely to cause fatigue with harsh treble being the star of the show. I've heard my Tannoys on the end of Class D amp and it was unlistenable without the use of tone controls.

Should I look for one I'd go with I30 the last Class AB integrated from Primare and the most raved about.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The thing is the extra detail of a cyrus or Rega etc help the speakers be a better one than they are by taking them up a stage, to similar to what really good premium hi Fi is like which is more expensive ie detailed but balanced and dynamic. Otherwise it’s just the usual bluuurrrggghhh....

You have to really mismatch the speakers to the amp to get tiresome treble ie speakers that really really don’t go together, and I don’t think that’s the case with the one. Tannoy is expansive and good soundstage and quite balanced. You don’t want to aspire to reductions in detail for the sake of possibly being too high on treble, and the Cyrus ONE works with lots of speakers and the combinations are not too high on treble. A lot of what’s ebjoyable with hi Fi and music is it’s revealing nature. Get an amp that can do that, and you start enjoying all the stuff you never once heard.

A lot of audiophile ista people listen to hi Fi which is the usual bluurrghhh (sorry didn’t spell it the same this time). It’s always on the side of bass knob up plus 2 or 3 and treble minus 2 or 3. It’s not a good balance and for getting stuff the artist intended - the detail, also doesn’t tend to help with the dynamics of music.

insider9

I've got nothing against Cyrus. In many cases Cyrus One might be the right amp to suggest but not when OP is looking for something warm sounding.

You've clearly different definition to what warm is if you think Tannoys are warm and Cyrus One would be a good match.

Also at least for me warmth has absolutely nothing to do with bass but balance of treble to midrange. And even more specifically certain frequencies in treble.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Fair point but my idea was to think of another way that a hi Fi can sound better and the best. And it’s not just about warmth to the exclusion of all else, as the op may actually find the amps like those I mentioned would do the overall job mentioned.

I agree warmth is in the mid range too,,it’s the tonal balance overall, but there is more to a speaker just than how much bass is tonally in the mids etc, to the exclusion of considerations of all else such as dynamics and detail which are much more important. These make music real, which nobody seems to make a point against. For instance the arcam a19power versus the Cyrus ONE and the capabaility of dealing with dynamic shifts in music.

If I was a dealer and someone said to me they want tonally warm bass most of all, id get them to listen to what they hadn’t thought of - something more detailed and dynamic, as it may suit the tastes and speakers better. There are often no absolutes in hifi in a sense, is what I’m trying to convey, so far as what we like. It’s what is good and more ways than one to achieve that.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
S83 Trike said:
Vladimir said:
I'd go for Yamaha rather than Marantz for more holistic, warm, analogue sound.

Even the Yamaha AS 701 or 801?

No idea about those, but I remember some complaints of the 700 predecesor being a bit overdone in the warm and cosy department. The step up to 1000 was prefered.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The thing is the extra detail of a cyrus or Rega etc help the speakers be a better one than they are by taking them up a stage, to similar to what really good premium hi Fi is like which is more expensive ie detailed but balanced and dynamic. Otherwise it’s just the usual bluuurrrggghhh....

You have to really mismatch the speakers to the amp to get tiresome treble ie speakers that really really don’t go together, and I don’t think that’s the case with the one. Tannoy is expansive and good soundstage and quite balanced. You don’t want to aspire to reductions in detail for the sake of possibly being too high on treble, and the Cyrus ONE works with lots of speakers and the combinations are not too high on treble. A lot of what’s ebjoyable with hi Fi and music is it’s revealing nature. Get an amp that can do that, and you start enjoying all the stuff you never once heard.

A lot of audiophile ista people listen to hi Fi which is the usual bluurrghhh (sorry didn’t spell it the same this time). It’s always on the side of bass knob up plus 2 or 3 and treble minus 2 or 3. It’s not a good balance and for getting stuff the artist intended - the detail, also doesn’t tend to help with the dynamics of music.

Cyrus management just sent me this message for you: "PLEASE STOP HELPING!"

*biggrin*

Vladimir said:

*biggrin*

Are they having difficulty keeping up quotas? :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yeah I know. I’ve got to get those targets in by year end. Lol.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

*biggrin*

Are they having difficulty keeping up quotas? :)

Possibly. Who wouldn't want a 2x100W amplifier in that small format. WAF galore! *preved*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Marantz PM8005 spec .......

Power output: 70 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 5Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.02%

Damping factor: 100

Input sensitivity: 2mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 87dB (MM), 106dB (line)

Output: 1.6V (Pre out)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

And you can buy this new at peter Tyson for £539

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
S83 Trike said:
Vladimir said:
I'd go for Yamaha rather than Marantz for more holistic, warm, analogue sound.

Even the Yamaha AS 701 or 801?

No idea about those, but I remember some complaints of the 700 predecesor being a bit overdone in the warm and cosy department. The step up to 1000 was prefered.
the Yamaha A-S801 is the newest to the range and supports onboard Dac .......

spec ... Min RMS Out: (8Ω, 20Hz-kHz) 100+100W (0.019%)
Maximum Power: (4Ω, 1kHz, 0.7%) 160+160W
Dynamic Power: (8/6/4/2Ω), 140/170/220/290W
Damping Factor 240
Frequency Response: 10Hz-100kHz +/-1dB
THD: 20Hz-20kHz, 0.019% (50W/8Ω)
S/N Ratio (CD): 99dB (in shorted, 200mV)
Audio Input / Output: 8 / 2
Digital Input: optical / coaxial
USB Input: Type B
Subwoofer/DC Out: Yes
Pure Direct: Yes
Amp Technology: ToP-ART
CD Direct Amplification: Switchable
Standby Power Consumption: 0.5W
Power Management: Auto Power Standby
Dimensions (WHD): 435 x 152 x 387mm
Weight: 12.1 kg; 26.7 lbs

And you can buy this new for £649 at peter Tyson

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

Well I wasn't going to mention Primare since all the gear suggested was new. Class AB Primare is a perfect partner for Tannoys. I've hear both in my own system Primare A30.1 with Tannoy DC6T and recently suggested the same speakers for my mates Primare A20. What these amps do so well is build on strenghts of the speakers (soundstage) and don't show up their weaknesses (treble that can turn harsh quite quickly). I wouldn't suggest any Class D amplification with these speakers especially Cyrus One that has crisp and clean sound as per WHF review. It's likely to cause fatigue with harsh treble being the star of the show. I've heard my Tannoys on the end of Class D amp and it was unlistenable without the use of tone controls.

Should I look for one I'd go with I30 the last Class AB integrated from Primare and the most raved about.

[/quote]

The Primare sounds good, but i do have to go S/H and the only ones coming up are I30 models, are these similiar to the A30.1?

insider9

S83 Trike said:
insider9 said:

The Primare sounds good, but i do have to go S/H and the only ones coming up are I30 models, are these similiar to the A30.1?
I30 was the follow up to A30.1. Very well regarded model. You'll be able to find quite a bit of info on the Internet about it. It would be superior to most if not all amps mentioned in this thread. Fully balanced high current, dual mono design that can deliver 40 amps of current and will drive even very demanding speakers.

Proper 100Wpc into 8ohm and 180W into 4ohm.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
S83 Trike said:
insider9 said:

I30 was the follow up to A30.1. Very well regarded model. You'll be able to find quite a bit of info on the Internet about it. It would be superior to most if not all amps mentioned in this thread. Fully balanced high current, dual mono design that can deliver 40 amps of current and will drive even very demanding speakers.

Proper 100Wpc into 8ohm and 180W into 4ohm.
yamaha ....Dynamic Power: (8/6/4/2Ω), 140/170/220/290W

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I seriously doubt I'd be tossing and turning in my sleep if I had a Primare I30.

wink_smile.png

insider9

Sabbath, you're comparing £650 amp (AS-801) current model with an amp that over 5 years ago cost £1,750. WHF themselves claimed there wasn't much competition under £3k.

Look at both specs and you'll quickly realise which is better speced. It's not a subjective view.

Edit
That's why 10 year old second hand units sell for circa £800-£900.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Premier 130 .... spec ....

Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.07%

Input sensitivity: 280mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 100dB (line)

Output: 280mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 430 x 375 x 100mm

Weight: 15.5kg

Finish: black, silver

Accessories: C22/C32 remote control

Year: 2007

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
You forgot to mention these rather important two

Power consumption 600W max Peak current ±40A
sorry I robbed the spec from a site and it was the best spec I came across as most sites never give the full spec sheet probably

I know :)

Yamaha AS-801 is certainly a very good amp and it would much easier to buy as it could be returned. Not just that it does come with a DAC. I have a sentiment when it comes to Primare gear. I'm sure you'd enjoy it immensly Sabbath it would pair really well with your Dalis.

I30 is more on par with AS-2100. I'd struggle choosing between the two.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
You forgot to mention these rather important two

Power consumption 600W max Peak current ±40A
sorry I robbed the spec from a site and it was the best spec I came across as most sites never give the full spec sheet probably

I know :)

Yamaha AS-801 is certainly a very good amp and it would much easier to buy as it could be returned. Not just that it does come with a DAC. I have a sentiment when it comes to Primare gear. I'm sure you'd enjoy it immensly Sabbath it would pair really well with your Dalis.

I30 is more on par with AS-2100. I'd struggle choosing between the two.
I would try anything as long as it’s good I am still a man in love with my Yamaha and can’t ever seeing myself changing it ever I even thought about buying a back up one bit crazy I know but it’s taken me years to find something that really floats my boat .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts